9 Hours To Decide **update**

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by needhelp, Dec 6, 2017.

1. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

I have a Roland Blues Cube Hot. It's a workhorse with lots of clean headroom and plenty of volume. Takes pedals like a dream.

I live in the mountains of Colorado, three hours from any music store with a large pallette of amps to try.

Long story short, I am in Grand Junction (three hours away from Steamboat) and across the street from a nice music store. I stopped in just before closing. They have my dream amp AND a broken in used Gibson LP studio. I have my gear here and they are open for trades plus cash.

I have yet to play either the amp or the Gibson (the store opens back up tomorrow at 9) but would appreciate your thoughts before going in. My wife, bless her, has given me free reign to make purchases as long as a trade-in deal is made.

The questions:
    1. Does a Princeton Reverb 15 watt (12" speaker) have enough volume/clean headroom to play in a small gig? I have played one a few times and love its tone but am unsure about its ability to keep up with a drummer. I can always mic it, right?
    2. My Epi Traditional Pro Plus is a very serviceable axe with '57s. Would it be a good trade for a $800 Gibson studio (unsure of year). It looks like it has street cred but I have to play it for a while.
    3. Knowing that trades and purchases are part of our "journey," am I making rash decisions knowing that I have good stuff? If the items in question turn out to be less than I expect, I am happy to walk away.

But I want a Gibson and a Princeton Reverb!

Oh, and I brought an A/B pedal which I plan to use extensively tomorrow

So....help?

2. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No idea but here's an 8 hour bump!

needhelp likes this.
  3. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have no experience with either piece of gear but I have to say its a very personnel decision that only you can make. Going in to spend some time playing them is the best advice I can give and you have already said that is your plan. You gas will try to influence your decision so try to be objective as possible. As far as the amp goes you are correct in saying you can always mic it, if its got the tone you want then the lack of power it may have could be overcome that way.

needhelp likes this.

4. big daddy

big daddy Well-Known Member

The guitar... you'll have to play it to decide if it's "the one".

The amp... I gig an 18 watt Epi and a 13 watt Fender with a not-so-subtle drummer and have never had to mic up the amp to be heard.

A 15 watt Princeton Reverb should be loud enough to hang with a drummer. The older ones tend to be clean and loud until you get the volume up around 7 - 8 and even then, they only just start to break up.

needhelp likes this.
  5. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I agree that if it's what you've always wanted and they look and play good, then go for it. A friend told me a long time ago that opportunity only knocks; it doesn't kick the door down. Good luck.

NoStratsPlease, needhelp and RiverDog like this.
  6. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I own a 1970’s Princeton. Lent it to a friend to use in a praise and worship band. Don’t know the other guitarist’s amp, but he had to mike his amp to be heard. He said their stage volume is loud. He now uses a Mustang II direct. With that said, I used to use 2 live back in the 80’s in stereo and they were plenty loud at half volume. See video below about your Guitar.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=cheapest gibson vs most expensive epiphone&sm=1

needhelp likes this.
  7. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Princeton model but if it is tube then it should be fine for loudness but there is a chance that the headroom may not be adequate with an LP. With a Tele 15W worked fine for headroom fior me for many years but some 15W amps did not give me enough headroom when I switched to an LP. It just depends on the amp. It's at about 20-25W where I start to get enough clean headroom at volumes needed to play with the band. Now if you are mic'ing up then it does no matter but we did not always mic up.

needhelp likes this.
  8. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

My guess is that the Princeton isn't loud enough if you are playing much above jazz with a drummer on brushes. They don't have much headroom. That you're fixing on a LP suggests to me that you are more rocker than country so it's hard to say. You will have to play the pair of them first. It's also possible that you might not like either one for some reason.

needhelp likes this.
  9. needhelp

I have yet to surpass the 15 w setting in our band warehouse. It will really come down to how the amp reacts to humbuckers.

Thanks for responding.

10. needhelp

I'm a rocker, but I play in an Americana band (lots of music from The Band). This would be my only amp. I am already planning on micing it (if I purchase it).

Oh, the pressure! I am confident that options will clarify once I get my hands on the gear. I brought a portable speaker and an iPod to jam along to. In my experience, what sounds good by myself falls apart once the other pieces join in.

I'm gonna ask for a room and then get medieval on this stuff.

tomringg likes this.
  11. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Like @big daddy said, you'll have to play it and compare it to your Epi. In my mind they are close in value and believe it is possible you may like the Epi better. Unless you are a person who is really affected by the headstock.

I have much experience with the Fender Blackface Princeton reissues. Keeping up with drummers and a band, it depends on what your style / tone is.

I set a friend's up with 6L6EH output tubes and a 12AT7 in the short-tail inverter stage (the two big tubes and the one small tube closest to the big tubes), for his church gigs. He mic's his amp and it gets fed back in the monitor mix. What this did, instead of distorting at '3' it starts at '7' - making the amp sound cleaner at louder volumes (headroom increase). He plays with a SRV type Strat tone and it works.

needhelp likes this.
  12. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

It's really up to you- would you be happier playing a Gibby into the Roland, or the Epi into a Princeton? My $.02 is that there's a greater sonic difference between the Roland and Fender than there is between the Gibson/Epi. But, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Random thoughts-

-Princetons come from the factory with a 10", but a common mod is to replace it with a 12"- are you sure this one has a 12"? What is it?

-The key to playing loud with Princetons is you have to turn down the bass, or it'll fart out. You still won't get any headroom with 'buckers, though.

-Although they sound wonderful, you probably won't get enough volume out of a stock Princeton by itself to hear it over a drummer. You might want to try out a Deluxe Reverb- bigger speaker, a little more power. Mine is a "pry it out of my cold, dead fingers" amp. The Hot Rod Deluxe doesn't sound quite as sweet as a Deluxe Reverb, but they still sound good and are definitely louder.

cybermgk likes this.
  13. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

Not knowing the year of the Studio, it may have different neck/pickups, etc. My faded has the chunkier "'59' neck, and Burstbuckers, both of which I love. Very versatile guitar and a dream to play. I agree about the headroom concerns with the Princeton and a heavier hitting drummer.

14. needhelp

12" speaker. I think that I saw a Deluxe Reverb in there. Gonna research it now. Can you give me a short comparison to the Princeton (besides wattage)?

15. needhelp

Looks like the Deluxe might be brighter but have more headroom. I play humbuckers so the brightness might be an issue.

16. needhelp

This is hard. If I really like the amp I might throw the Epi LP in with the Roland to lessen the price blow. I really dig my Epi 335-Pro. From experience and your input, I totally agree that the amp makes a bigger difference than the guitar (to a point). I'll be focused on the amp.

The Epi LP I have is the 60's Tribute model which goes for $750 new. My Roland Blues Cube Hot was $499 new. Both are two years old now, but are in good shape.

Damn. 9:00 can't get here quick enough.

17. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

They're just different animals- kinda like the difference between coffee ice cream and mocha. Play them side by side, and you'll hear what I mean. They both sound great, though.

needhelp likes this.
  18. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Play the guitar first. The newer Studios aren't even close to early 90's models. I have a '91 Studio that I love and I also have a 2010 Epi Standard that I love almost as much. I'd never part with the Studio though.

On the amp, I can't offer much help. I've never played a Fender amp that I'd even really want, never mind be able to discuss the various nuances of them.

needhelp likes this.
  19. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

I personally will never play with a drummer without 30 watts and at least one 12" speaker or 2 10" speakers.

I like to rock and be audible when doing it...

20. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

Yeah but maybe he plays Chet Aktins. There's all kinds. Well, by now he's over there trying to decide. :)

needhelp likes this.