Advice On Thining The Herd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoser, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

I have gone through periods in my life where I have sold off many guitars, most I look back on and have no regrets of selling, but there were a hand few I sold that I still wish I never let go of, I always thought I could replace them if I wanted one again but now they are Vintage and I could never afford to buy them back, regrets I have a few.....

Anyhow, I have come to that point again where I know I don't need all the guitars that I have. I rarely gig and my tastes in guitars have changed and are constantly evolving (its all about telecasters right now). So, I'm thinking of selling off at least 3 guitars (more to follow). I'm sure ALL of you go through this from time to time. I'm thinking of selling off these 3 and buying once VERY good guitar from the cash. I will still have more than I need but it will be a refining process over time, sell off a few to buy one until I'm down to just a hand full of gems.

I'm just curious how you would suggest going about selling these off. I have tried going through Craigslist and I would get tons of response but no one ever followed through. Ebay is possible but their costs and the shipping is a pain, but doable. I thought about going to trade them in but I remember last time doing this GC offered me next to nothing for what I brought in.......and trust me they were VERY good guitars. Guess I could also try selling through this forum.

So, guys, what is your advice about how to sell off some stuff? Or advice about thinning out the herd.

2. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Have a look at Reverb

DonM, RockYoWorld and guitaro like this.
  3. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I would second RLP's suggestion for Reverb as a good place to start. Lower fees than ebay and a pretty guitar/music specific customer base. No listing fees either so worst case scenario you just delete the listing if you don't want to sell anymore.

Not sure what you have locally but consignment through a trusted local dealer might not be a bad option either if it's available.

I can tell you that the market is incredibly saturated right now, more so than it's ever been. If you aren't willing to price very aggressively, be prepared to wait. And you will get lowballers/tire kickers no matter where you go - it's a buyers market.

4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Reverb is my 1st choice always.

Also I suggest to use the shipping insurance they offer. They take care of you in case something happens, unlike UPS/USPS/FedEx.

If in a rush, eBay has lowered their fees to match Reverb. You will likely sell faster on eBay. Just a fact that you will get more eyeballs on you listing.

This time of year guitars rarely sell for me. Everyone is in between spending money on summer vacations and starting to save up for Christmas. I do my best selling at tax time. People just seem to like to spend tax refunds on themselves.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

davewrites likes this.
  5. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

Ah! Why didn't I think reverb!!! lots to ponder here. Need to make sure what I want to sell I won't regret once its gone.

6. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

In my experience, if you have to even think about it you will probably regret it ;-)

DonM, nomadh and slowhand84 like this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Bad news for me then. I need to think about selling anything :)

8. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Yes to Reverb.

Also, I definitely agree that the market is saturated so it's difficult to sell guitars for a decent price right now. That being said, I've had a few guitar and non-guitar related items for sale recently which I posted on both CL and my local FB Marketplace. Interestingly, I received little to no response from CL but quite a bunch of attention from FB. You might try that if you have an account. Not sure about your area but there are several "Swip Swap" FB groups related to music gear so you can post an ad to both those groups and Marketplace at the same time for good coverage. The FB group Awesome Cheap Guitars is a great place to post items (I think the max selling price is $500). There is also an Awesome Cheap Amps group but I don't think it gets the same volume of traffic. I recently listed a (pretty rare) pedal on Awesome Cheap Guitars on a whim because it wasn't getting much attention on eBay or Reverb and within an hour I had an offer from someone in the New England area. We worked out a price to cover shipping and the 3% for PayPal and it was done. Check it out!

Hoser likes this.
  9. funk-n-stein

funk-n-stein Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I will echo what the others have said about Reverb. One tip: to see sold items, do your search and narrow the filter as much as you can to isolate the particular item you are looking to see and then add &showsold=true to the URL. This will add sold & ended listings to your result set (unfortunately, I don't know of a way to limit the results to ONLY sold listings.)

I've found that if you list an item around the price where most of the previous sales have occurred, or towards the lower end of where similar guitars are listed price-wise, a sale is much more likely. It's also helpful to look at the price of 'ended' listings that didn't sell to know what might be too much.

For example: I was selling my Gibson SG Standard. There are tons of them on Reverb and many have been there for months. The approximate median sold price for a Standard similar to mine was around $800, but the result set was skewed lower (more sales under that median than above.) Most of the listings that had been there for months were in the $850 - $900 range. I listed mine for $750+40 shipping and it sold within 24 hours.

That said, coming here for advice on thinning your herd is like going to a bar for advice on quitting drinking. :p

davewrites, tobijohn and Hoser like this.
  10. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

At this point I'm thinking of just keeping a few of each style guitar, keeping 3 les pauls (all with different pickups), 3 telecasters (all with different pick ups), 1 strat, 2 hollow/semi-hollows. That covers all my bases for the most part. Like I said I'm not playing like I used to, might get another telecaster only because I effing love them, but as far as it goes I should have all my sounds covered by the above guitars. I have so many projects sitting around that never go off the ground its time to let em go, also have some very cool guitars that are great but get no play time, as much as I love them, I don't really see the need to keep them if someone else can give em love. Of course I say this now and will prob change my mind next week and buy 10 more guitars that I don't need.

11. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Here is the best advice available on thinning the herd:

Don't do that.
    Thicken it instead!

12. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

Ok, life lesson. Don't plug in the guitar you are thinking of selling. Ya won't sell it.

LongBlackTie, PsychoCid and tvvoodoo like this.
  13. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Just do it. It's not like any of these things are Excalibur or whatever.
    But if you thin the herd, you have more room to feed the gas. That's my danger.

14. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

That was the point to sell off a bunch to buy one better quality one

15. davewrites

davewrites Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I were to thin the herd, I would probably aim for a net-zero consolidation of inventory, like selling 3x guitars in the $500-600 range and then pick up a used Fano. It’s like thinning the herd AND upgrading at the same time!

What I should really do is sell an “affordable” amp + guitar now and then pick up a Princeton in December when the used market nosedives a week before Christmas.

+1 for selling during tax return season (and then buying in Q4!). Been on that cycle for close to five years now. I always break even and half the time I turn a profit. Requires a little patience, but patience pays dividends, right?

16. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I've only sold two and I regret selling both, so I'm a lost cause on this subject.

Partscaster likes this.
  17. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

If it's something truly rare, unless I get top dollar I don't sell.

If it's something common like a strat/tele, I price it aggressively.

Don't just sell for the sake of it. If you have any question if you want to sell something, don't. You'll regret it then likely pay more to replace it with something similar. Often this replacement won't be as good as the original and you'll be even more regretful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PsychoCid likes this.
  18. jjudas

jjudas Member

Sell stuff that is common not rare. I've sold guitars that I've never seen for sale again.

PsychoCid likes this.