Cabronita Build - Bridge Adjustment Question.

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Lamf77, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am putting a Cabronita together and am just about finished. I am no expert, hence my question.
    I put the high and low "E" strings on to help get the neck straight and check alignment. The HipShot Bridge fits perfect, and while the string are not exactly over the pickup poles, they are pretty close.
    I am going to take it into the shop for set up; but noticed in my "quick" check of the these strings, the saddles on the HipShot are really high. The two screw which are inside the HipShot saddles in seem to be almost as far into the saddle as they can go, without coming out the other end?
    My neck and everything else is ok? Just wondering if this was normal.
    Thanks!

bridge.jpg

doneslant.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

The saddles do look high. How is the string height over the fret board? You could try a thin shim in the back of the neck pocket. You can also slightly loosen the neck screws and move the neck sideways, hold it, then tighten it back up to align your strings on the neck.
    I've thought about trying one of those bridges on a project, they look nice.

Lamf77 likes this.
  3. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The back of the neck is a touch high. You may need to sand the neck pocket a little to reduce the neck angle or put a small shim at the front of the neck pocket (not a great solution). Reducing the neck angle will allow you to drop the saddle height. You will want the saddle heights to match the fretboard radius when it's set-up.

stevebway, Chocol8 and Lamf77 like this.

4. Lamf77

I am not so much worried about the neck alignment to the strings. I read Cabronitas almost never line up perfect.
    The neck pocket is 5/8" deep and the neck in the center is 3/8" above the body.
    At the higher frets the low E string is just about 2mm above the last fret and about 1mm above the first
    fret.

When you say back of the neck, is that the end nearest the headstock or the bridge?

I used my neck checker thing...like this one

73ab466d85c6ede0d423137d1227d17a.jpg

And when I did, the neck is totally staight, no bow or relief.

5. Lamf77

Not sure if this angle helps...and if I do need to sand, where exactly should I do it?

Thanks!!!

side neck.jpg

6. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Active Member

You could either take a little material out of the neck pocket (router with tracer bearing) or take a little off the neck heel. If it were mine, I would probably take abut 1/16" out of the pocket and see where that leaves me.

msc_ likes this.
  7. Lamf77

Ok...not sure if this is a huge deal. I took the neck off to recheck. When I did, a few small traces of wood had come off from the neck by the screw hole. I cleaned out the pocket, put the neck back on. If you look at the far right "black dot" and the lines of grain in the wood. You can see the neck is a bit farther down on the heel. The third line of grain down underneath the dot is a lot closer.

Just to confirm...when you screw in the neck...is there a special way to do it? bridge side screw tighten, the neck side?

I feel so dumb!

Before:

side neck.jpg

After:

fixedbetter.jpg

8. BrianSkeezer

I does look like the action is a little higher now, but you still may have to take a little material to make the bridge saddles a little lower. My only concern is with the 3rd and 4th saddles, you may not have enough set screw to have the string radius you need. When I made the body for my home-built partscaster, I intentionally left a little material in the neck pocket, just so I didn't have to shim the neck, but I did it by having the set screws on the saddles on both E strings adjusted so the top of the set screws even with the top of the saddles. The others are a bit above the tops of the screws.

As far as tightening the neck, I'm not sure if there is a proper way to do it other than to tighten it just enough so you can align the strings for even space on each side and then tighten the rest of the way.

9. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

looks like you may have fixed it, but the neck heel was sitting too high. You could see that in the second picture where nearly the full truss rod end is exposed.

STACKS likes this.
  10. Lamf77

Well, I cleared out the stuff and reset the neck as shown above. I put on all the strings. They I set the two "E" string heights...I was able to lower the saddles quite a bit! I then put the 2 and 5th saddles a bit higher, then the 3 and 4th higher a bit still. Not sure how to set them "exact" other than how they feel.
    Tuned her up and not bad! When I go the the 12th fret, the little Reverb Tuner measures in the yellow, which if I am right is sharp. This means I may need to move the saddles back, away from the neck...correct?

Or is that premature at this point?
    Thanks for all the help so far!

Her is the bridge right now. You can see I was able to lower the saddles. No buzz I can tell!

donealmost.jpg

STACKS likes this.
  11. Lamf77

I am not sure if it should be that way? The pocket is 5/8" and the neck is a tad under 3/8" above the body? There is no overhang on this neck which may be why it does show more?

12. BrianSkeezer

Bridge looks great now! Don't take any material out.

Lamf77 likes this.
  13. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

It looks like what you have now is reasonable and will work. I would not even attempt intonation with a cheap reverb tuner. Those are something like =/- 3 cents and you want =/- 0.1 cents or better accuracy for that task. The strobe mode on the Polytune 2 or 3, a turbo tuner, peterson, etc. will get you there, but most other stomp pedals or clip ons wont. If you are going to take in for a setup, let the tech handle the intonation.

Lamf77 likes this.
  14. Lamf77

I bagged the Reverb crappy POS for the less POS Snark. I needed to move all the saddles back a bit, and when at the 12th fret some were just a wee bit sharp.

I tried her out on the Hughes & Kettner Triplex. Sounds good to me. I have never played these type of pickups before. The cleans are clear, sharp and have a sweet, boomy punch to them. They don't sound as great on the dirty channel, but maybe that's the way they are built. They sound good, not great.
    Thanks for all the help! Try to get a NGD with more pix soon!

STACKS likes this.
  15. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Looks much better now.
    I just measured the neck height on the Tele project I'm working on now and the edge of the fret board is 3/8 above the top of the body.
    Are those TV Jones pickups?
    Glad you are getting it sorted out.

16. Lamf77

No...they are handmade from a Reverb Seller. Buddha was my first choice, but the measurments are very unique aka pain in the @ss. I was thinking TV Jones...but came across this seller and ordered from them instead. They are really nice. The fit in the body was really, really tight. A pain to get in, but it has been worth it. NGD soon.

https://reverb.com/item/1611384-cry...filtertron-guitar-pickups-hand-wound-boutique

STACKS likes this.
  17. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lookin good!

18. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

This is a great optical illusion. For a moment I thought I was looking at two fretboards glued together back to back.

Lamf77 likes this.
  19. Lamf77

Shiny black guitars are not easy to phootgraph! BTW...that's the neck you were after about a year ago!

I orignally ordered a regular Telecaster body to go humbucker/neck, single coil bridge. The Reverb seller sent the Cabronita body in error. He sent the correct one, my next project, and a return label for the Carbronita sent in error. I offered $100 for the Cab Body instead of returning and he accepted. Not bad for a licensed, USA, Fender body.

Up next....

20160831_131057.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    STACKS and BrianSkeezer like this.