Club SJM/Liquid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gear_Junky, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky New Member

I've been thinking about this lately (why didn't anyone think of it before?), with all of the recent SJM/Liquid threads...

We've never had a proper club for SJM guitars. I don't like the headstock on Liquids, but who am I to exclude them? The mods are the same and who knows, maybe they'll grow into something else.

Many of the SJM threads got left behind in the previous version of AGF, some pictures are gone and we don't have a proper gallery anymore.

Anyway, here's my IDEA: each SJM/Liquid owner posts a link to their mod (or NGD) thread and I can include them to a list in this OP. I am not planning "membership numbers" or any such nonsense or pomp - this is just for mod ideas, pictures and discussion.

How did I forget this? DoktorDee, a member at the old AGF (haven't heard from him and not sure why) had converted his lefty SJM to be a "Jazzmaster". Very helpful guy, too. He also installed a mustang bridge and genuine Fender vibrato unit - this may prove helpful.

How to set up the Jazzmaster style vibrato (a useful link, thanks Swamp Donkey)

Just for fun: SX Guitars Spain website with Euro-SJM (known there as VJM):

SX Guitars Spain [img=120x160]http://www.sxguitarspain.com/images/VJM62.gif[/img]

If this takes hold I would like to bring my threads from the archive into separate threads here - it's a nice way to store the information - for me to look back at and for others if they want it.

I am sorry, I really don't like to be a "community organizer" of any kind and I don't need/want any credit, but I just think this would be useful (and interesting). I don't want to be "first" or "senior" or a "grand master", so perhaps, if you can recall your date of purchase, I could make the membership list in chronological order, otherwise it'll have to be in order received. Feel free to share suggestions.[hr]
    Sloopdawg, DoktorDee and others (too many to mention or even remember) - I could certainly find all of your mod threads, but I don't want to do that without your permission (and we each could do our own searching) :wiggle:[hr]
    P.S. I know that some people eventually sell their guitars or change their mods, but I would really REALLY love to save all of those pictures - they might inspire someone else. And they're just great to look at :hsugh:

Attached Files:

2. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

This is pretty common over at TDPRI. There's clubs for about every amp/guitar you can think of or buy.

I just purchased one from a forum member & am happy to say they do not disappoint. Stock P90's sound very good. Since I just got it, I have no pics yet. It also has a mint TWANG PG, the only mod done to it. I've got plans for it perhaps. Oh yes, plans...

That CAR one just blows me away every time I see it, & adad that tort on CAR works very well. No need to to beat around the bush on that.

ps - You can't exclude the Liquids just because Kurt can't make up his mind.

How does everyone get the pic to show up in the large size? The prOn looks much better that way.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Gear_Junky likes this.
  3. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky New Member

I also have the owner's permission to post these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a thread, but then he unregistered - we had exchanged PM's and I got permission to share the pics anonymously after some time. I just had to hold on to these. He also had very good comments about the GFS Surf 90 pickups: "pretty fat, nice articulation" and that if he "needed a dyna thing in another guitar" he'd do them again.[hr]
    Yes, well, now you have a place to come and share your pics :wiggle:

I honestly don't like the busier forums - too many posers there, too many arguments. AGF seems the most logical place for this :thumbup:

4. idiotsdelight

It can get like that, but if you think of the amount of members there, your bound to get some of that.

In that short time I've been here, I've already run into some questionable behavior. I've never had that over at TDPRI. Lots of helpful people on both.

5. 6twang

6twang New Member

Great idea. I just wish I had one to add to this. Gearjunky that CAR SJM of yours is sweet. Id buy the one kurt has up now if it had the rosewood fb in a heartbeat. Hopefully this will bring some of the others out of hiding because these really are nice eyecandy to me.

Gear_Junky and idiotsdelight like this.
  6. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

I hope to be a full-fledged, card-carrying member of this club someday. I want that 3 P90 version sooooooo bad.

Gear_Junky likes this.
  7. Super D

Super D Well-Known Member

Great idea. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gear_Junky likes this.
  8. adad

adad Well-Known Member

My white SJM. I have another tort pickguard I got from Twang. I only have a red one left since I sold an SJM to idiotsdelight. I have debated if the tort would work on the red. I like it.

069ae730e572a37dd39b4af2e4106e44.jpg

1aa111998cfd31ef1be5b9d51a4f989d.jpg

jimytheassassin and Gear_Junky like this.
  9. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

SJM, eventually modded with a Gold Guard and HB's
    My NGD is buried deep in the archive somewhere. But this was the batch of photos I took for it, so it's worth at least a few thousand words. :p

I need new pictures, but this is the general idea of my Matching cab
    9011e6994ea09b4e1bca34c52b466983.jpg 44e51097099382338f40bfa5f910575a.jpg

Gear_Junky likes this.
  10. keytarded007

keytarded007 Well-Known Member

just as soon as i find me a camera ill get some shots of my 3/4 sized dual p 90 beast up

11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

THanks GJ - Great Idea. I have been GASSING for a SJM/Liquid for so long now my head is about to explode. Kurt is killing me.

fc2dce7bffbe982b15d4f770c4e38a7f._.jpg

12. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky New Member

I like it, I think it works - not necessarily something I'd do, but I've always thought that "red on red" sorta works - reminds me of a red jaguar I saw with a tort guard.

I think we're doing great, guys. So far you're saving me all the work by just posting the pics here - I am ok with that. But having links to original mod threads is nice too IMO - for those who will be modding and need specifics, ideas, etc. I want to take some new pictures of mine too.

adad likes this.
  13. idiotsdelight

Please do. I'm sooo glad someone admitted to owning one. I look at that thing all the time & wonder why it's not spoken of. Much like the Cyclops.

Question for the guys with the whamjobby. How do those things hold up? Stay in tune pretty decent? Not at all? Don't use?

14. Luke137

Luke137 Well-Known Member

I really can't hang out in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Well-Known Member

Gear_Junky likes this.
  16. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

No mods, like it just the way it came.

4d16c691c2ac9b420c950b064d89fa7d.jpg

17. CWK11

CWK11 New Member

i have a liquid SX, but i dont like the cruddy trem. some of my frets are kinda sticking out on the edge, i have some fret buzz/fretting out. i think id rather have the HB hard tail version, but i still play it quite a bit. im wondering what some mods might be good for.

18. idiotsdelight

Thanks for including that link. I wish more of those were active. I think I saw GJ's dead links that I would have loved to read.

Great motivation. Good to see the HB versions making an appearance too.

Welcome cwk11. Anything we can do to help you get that neck sorted out?

Swamp Donkey likes this.
  19. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

IMO, the tremolo is what makes the SJM/Liquid so awesome, but to each his own. I assume you have a roller saddle TOM bridge, and that was supposed to solve some of the inherent quirks.

The tremolo takes adjustment, and usually needs heavy gauge stings to balance correctly. 12 gauge for instance.

Frets sticking out can happen to any guitar. Fret Sprout. You can carefully file/sand them down. I like emory boards for the task. polish with steal wool afterwards. You just need to take care with the finish if it's a maple board.

And FYI, you can fit some HB's in the P90 routes. I did.

Gear_Junky likes this.
  20. idiotsdelight

I'm thinking of doing the same, just making another pickguard to change in/out whenever.

Or I might just buy another... :lol: