Craigslist Weekend From Hell ....ends Well

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by tonebender, Jun 16, 2017.

1. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

So I have a couple of amps for sale on the local CL, a George Dennis Mighty Mouse 30W all tube combo and a special edition Vox Night Train G2 Combo.

Saturday the front man for the Delta Troubadours contacts me about the GD. We meet, he tries the amp. Nice guy but wants to look at another amp or two before deciding. That's cool, I enjoyed meeting him and when they are famous (just might happen) I can brag. All in all not bad even though no sale.

Sunday, guy contacts me about the Vox. Seems sold already but wants to try it out. I don't let strangers come to the Tonebender headquarters and he has the same rule for his home so we agree to meet. He shows up with a small Honda generator. Okay, I know the possibilities but whatever let's give it a whirl. He pulls out an SX Tele looking guitar, gets every thing hooked up and fires up the amp. Smoke immediately rolls out of the back. I quicky hit the kill switch but I know the deal.

I make a comment like, "you smoked my amp" as I roll up everything and head for the van. He follows and is apologetic offering cash for repairs. I tell him shit happens not to worry. I let him plug it in and who knows this Chinese crap can blow at any time. I tell him not to fret about it that I'm not. I will just get it fixed and move on.

He really seemed eager to buy so when I get home I start thinking about other amps I have for sale. I call the guy back an hour or so later and we start discussing possibilities. Among those I offered up he really liked the hand-built, hand-wired Fender Princeton clone on steroids but it was out of his price range. We hung up. He called back later and said he had to have it. I took it to him at his house (by now he knew I wasn't going to rape him and kill his family so he changed his no strangers policy).

So in the end I sold another amp. Yay, closer to owning the bare minimum. Listing more for this weekend.

SKYDAWG, needhelp, Lamf77 and 13 others like this.
  2. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Best of luck, tonebender!

Matt

tonebender likes this.
  3. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man, I gotta laugh about the dude showing up with his own generator. There's a dozen ways that could have gone wrong.

tonebender likes this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You should have gone to his house in a scary clown mask just to f#$% with him....ha ha

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Oh, I see you havn't met Jeff in person! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

kungphugrip, tonebender and tonray like this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Sorry about all that aggravation . . . though you did manage to sell an amp in the end, and we did get the benefit of a good story. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    tonebender and Believer like this.
  7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Some days are just plain challenging. Sounds like you handled it with grace and it ended up good.

tonebender likes this.
  8. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

You know, it was a nice looking Honda brand generator so I thought "what the hell". Still don't know if the generator caused the issue but I don't believe in coincidences. If it had been some jalopy looking hillbilly generator I would have said no way. With these new MIC cheap amps you never know when they will smoke, although it had worked just fine including a QC check right before leaving the house.

Brendan and golem like this.
  9. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad that ended well, or relatively well. I hope you'll keep us posted about the cause of the magic smoke being released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonebender likes this.
  10. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear what happened. I was curious about this as it's relevant to my work.

"Anything with micro-chip control (like automobiles, tools, etc.) can go into “unknown logic states”. This can be caused by (1) heat and cold, (2) physical shock, and (3) electromagnetic pulses. The fluctuations of current from a generator could be bad also. I try to avoid micro-chippy stuff."

I found other comments about avoiding "dirty power" from portables when using delicate electronics. I would have done the same thing you did - hesitate, see "Honda" and assume it's going to be okay. As you already said, nothing MIC was intended to last anyway..

tonebender likes this.
  11. harold h

harold h Well-Known Member

Or send a friend in a clown mask in case the guy starts to shoot. Let someone else take the
    bullet.

tonebender and tonray like this.
  12. cantthink0f0ne

cantthink0f0ne Well-Known Member

So was that other amp smoked? What happened with that?

tonebender likes this.
  13. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got lucky @tonebender

Like you, I never ever meet ANYbody from CL at my home. For selling electronics, I do two things:

1. Meet somewhere close to a receptacle, bring an extension cord and sell it out of my van. I’ve surveyed my town and have several places that I’ve scouted that have a receptacle available.

2. I bring my UPS (which can handle lots of power and I keep charged), then plug it in to an inverter before use just as a backup. Then I hook up the amp to the UPS and the UPS provides solid clean power.

tonebender likes this.
  14. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I had a similar hairy CL experience selling an amp... It was a Peavey Tour 115 bass amp that I had only owned for a few months.

I met the buyer in a parking lot somewhere, and he trusted that the amp worked and bought it.

The next day, I got a voice mail from the buyer telling me that the amp wouldn't power on. This came as a surprise to me, since I never had a single problem with the amp. I hadn't even gigged with it yet (our guitarist had to stop playing, due to an ear condition shortly after I bought the amp). But since I bought it new, it was still under warrantee, and I told him to return it to the store I bought it from (Daddy's Junky Music in Nashua, NH).

They honored the warrantee, and told him they would have it fixed, and that it would be ready in a week. What they didn't bother to tell him was that they were going out of business and the store would be closed when he came back to pick it up!

Somehow, he found out where they sent the amp to be fixed, and went there to pick it up. The amp was in working order, and everything was fine in the end, but there were a lot of tense phone calls back and forth in the interim.

Fortunately, he was a reasonable guy, and recognized that if I were trying to screw him over, I never would have called him back.

I still have no idea how the amp got damaged, though. The repair guy told the buyer that it looked like someone had run a hot signal into the amp and fried it.

I know enough not to put an amplified signal into the input of another amp, and so did our guitarist (we practiced at his house, which is where that amp lived). He never would have touched my gear when I wasn't around, anyway, and no one else had access to it.

It's a mystery.

tonebender likes this.