Experience With Wireless Units?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slowhand84, Jul 17, 2017.

1. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

So I've been toying with the idea of getting a wireless unit...I'm not gigging currently, but I have for years in the past and may be again in the near future. My guitar tech had a Line 6 G10 Relay that he showed me and I was amazed by how well it worked and the tonal difference between the G10 and being plugged in regularly with a cable was really minimal.

I was on the hunt for one (they're usually $180 new) and finally scored one last night from GC for $75 shipped.

What wireless units if any do you guys use? I may want to upgrade to a higher end one at some point down the line and was curious to hear opinions.

Thanks!

2. slowhand84

3. cantthink0f0ne

cantthink0f0ne Well-Known Member

Interested in responses, I need to get a wireless unit asap for gigs.

slowhand84 likes this.

4. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

the only one i ever tried was the Line 6 X-2 XDS95 system. still have it around somewhere...

it worked pretty well. clear signal for up to at least 50'. the band i was in at the time had 3 of them going simultaneously on different channels. no interference problems.

they ate up batteries pretty quick though. had to put a new one in for every gig.

as consistent as they usually were there were always some gigs where they would cut out for no apparent reason. it only took that happening a few times for me to go back to a cable.

this system is now discontinued, but you can still find them. but i'm sure they've come out with something better by now

cec074f7bf5db1404f80be990acfa7c6.jpg

5. slowhand84

Sweet, thanks for the response! The G10 I got is rechargeable so the battery thing won't be an issue (I hope!)

zisme likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Well-Known Member

That G10 has gotten a ton of excellent reviews. Another great choice (although higher price) is the Shure GLX. Absolutely KILLER wireless unit. Built in tuner is an excellent bonus.

7. slowhand84

Yeah I may upgrade down the line but for less than half price I feel the G10 will be great for me for a bit. I was afraid it would just be the transmitter (I don't trust GC descriptions and there weren't any pics) but I called the store and they said it's the whole system.

8. Gagoosh

Gagoosh Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the G10 as well, it gets a lot of positive reviews. I like the rechargeable aspect and also it is noiseless when switching guitars... no pop.

I used an AKG WMS40 Mini wireless unit for a long time, it did the job very well and was like $100, but I think I'd pay the extra for the G10.

slowhand84 likes this.
  9. slowhand84

You can usually grab a mint G10 for like $130 or so, not much more than the AKG!

10. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

The Line 6 ones are usually really good and the Nady systems I used back in the day were also really good. I had a great Nady mic with a 58 capsule that was fantastic.

slowhand84 likes this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Even my cheapo closeout nady works decent. Funny though its still too much of a pain to bother with most times. And its almost no bother. I'll use it when I start running laps during sols at gigs.

12. Roscoe

Roscoe Well-Known Member

I have one of those and used it on quite a few gigs. No drop outs for me, but yes, I'd replace the battery before each 4 hour gig.