NAD Fender Mustang Gt200

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Brewski, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Brewski

Brewski Active Member

I bought the Mustang GT200 in late spring and have spent a lot of time with it both at home and at rehearsal.

My summation - this is a very bad design and not worth the money - even at half price used.

The blue tooth disconnects whenever. The amp used to let u play songs and control from your BT device at the same time - someone bitched and they removed that - prob 70% of the reason i was buying the thing.

The footswitch led - channel number blanks out randomly - the switches are too close together and they are hard to stomp on during live play.

The footswitch buttonology is by far the worst of any amp i have ever had. You hit a switch and 2 seconds later is accepts. You cant change banks without holding down two switches simultaneously - then u have to hit only one to get to different banks and i usually goes to a setting when u didnt want it to. Going into effects mode - you can only use three effects and they have to be the first ones in you chain when u programmed the setting.

The tuner is junk - its impossible to get to it on the footswitch, then its jumpy and spastic and inconsistent.

The tone of the amp - not nearly as good as the mustang III.

I am selling mine after the holidays and going to try again to get a decent modeler combo amp with decent tones and access to all the effects, settings and a floor tuner.

Fender really screwed this one up.

2. NoStratsPlease

NoStratsPlease Active Member

**Warning: my daughter is in a runway class, so I'm bored as hell and am basically writing in a flow of conciousness!**

I agree with nearly everything said in this post about the Mustang GT series amps. Anyone considering the GT should opt for a Mustang 3 instead. The Mustang 3 is basically a modelling amp legend at this point for a multitude of reasons. If you don't have to have a Fender branded modeler, you should go for any of the Blackstar ID TVP series (even the basic ID series are great for their price) or Boss Katanas.

But, if I could only choose one, it'd be the Katana. Access to the multitude of BOSS effects, the built in attenuator, the doubling of preset banks in the latest firmware update, the acoustic guitar amp ability, and the availability of the sneaky amps make it an absolute steal.

I give the Katana the edge mainly due to the lower watt versions of the Blackstar ID TVP's lacking a Mid control straight out of the box (WHY!?.) You can get access to the mid controls via the online editor and a recent firmware update allows you to access the mids straight on the amp in an annoying and mildly convoluted way. So, if you're getting an ID TVP, you'd really need the 60 watt for easy mid controls and at that price point it's just not nearly the bargain of the Katana. YMMV...

needhelp likes this.
  3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

Interesting review.. I have a Mustang III and a Katana 50. Love them both. I'm not a big effects guy, so will probably never delve into all the Boss effects available to the Katana. I like its reverbs and the Blues Driver kills. The chorus is so-so, and the delay is OK... that's all I need. I find it much easier to get tones I like from the Katana. They are right there. The Mustang I have to twiddle and tweak to get the tones I like, and as soon as I plug in another guitar I have to tweak it again.

4. Brewski

Brewski Active Member

Update - i just bought the line6 Spider V because i already have the fbv mkii shortboard - my neighbor coaxed two good patches and i got four more that make it better than the mustang gt200 as i can access everything easily - patches, effects volume control.

Also - it has more options than the katana for sounds but prob to many i care about but its a keeper

My gt200 is now for sale - 425.00

Tiga likes this.
  5. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got an amp that works for you. I’ll admit to not knowing much about the line 6 other than this version is supposed to be quite improved over previous. Was just on their website and it looks pretty interesting.

6. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

I'm considering a modelling amp in the 3-400 range too. I was leaning towards the Marshall Code 100H. Then I learned that a) the line out is combined with the 1/8" headphone jack... ick! Also, despite being solid state, the manual says you have to keep a speaker plugged in at all times.

Soo, If I want to record direct at my drummer's place, I have to keep a cab there for no reason other than to plug in the back of the Marshall and...
    a) use the FX send and maybe lose the speaker cab emulation
    b) use the tiny headphone jack and some funky 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor
    c) use a mini usb to usb cable and see if I can get that to record in Reaper
    Maybe I could live with c
    Also d) I hear the bluetooth doesn't work well, or even at all from across the room

The Katana has all of the features I need (1/4" speaker emulated line out, flexible tones, power) but:
    a) I don't like Boss effects
    b) COSM modeling has always sounded plastic and hyped to my ear
    c) The Boss logo irks me

Maybe I'd like a Blackstar. That Yamaha 100H looks awesome but is pricey...
    Thoughts?

7. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

^ Awesome.

NoStratsPlease likes this.
  8. raystankewitz

raystankewitz Active Member

I was concerned the Mustang GT versions were going to be problematic with bluetooth. The Mustang III/IV/V were great amps. Fender jumped on the cellphone/bluetooth bandwagon and shot themselves in the foot. My local shop has four of the GT's that could be had for cheap - I'm not liking the idea I have to use my PHONE to tweak the amp. I liked the versatility of the Fender Fuse software. I could fix a patch and it worked.

Thank you, Fender. I guess I'll be looking for a used V2 Mustang.

9. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Well-Known Member

The reviews for these amps are all over the map. Some people swear by them, some swear at them. Good to hear a first-hand account even though it disappoints me greatly. I was really looking forward to the next iteration of the Mustang line. Fortunately the Mustang was the most popular amp in the world so it's a good bet Fender will make the investments necessary to get the next one right. Not a sure bet, mind you, but a good one. Thanks for the account, OP!

10. Brewski

Brewski Active Member

If you can find a few good clean tones and use the reverb maybe overdrive or distortion stomp box and some effects pedals would work.

The tuner, patches and effects access is just terrible