First A-hole Experience On Reverb

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Frankenfretter, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have had a few things up on Reverb (mentioned them here as well), and had good luck selling my Vox Pathfinder in a reasonable amount of time. My Vox Night Train was taking a little longer, but on Wednesday, I got an offer. It was lower than I was willing to go, so the potential buyer and I went back and forth for a day, then I accepted his [higher] offer on Thursday evening. Friday came and went, and no payment. Sent him a thank you, and told him that it was packed and ready to go. Still no word on Saturday. Sent him another message asking him if he was having payment challenges, and to please update me on the situation. Still nothing.

Tonight I looked at his profile, and he bought a newer model (the G2) two days ago. I doubt he's going to follow through on the deal he made with me before he bought the other amp.

I wish Reverb had a system in place similar to eBay, where you could report a buyer, or at least block them.

End of rant.

fullonshred likes this.
  2. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm sure there is something for that. Any way to just refund the monies?

Frankenfretter likes this.
  3. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, it happens all the time with Craigslist. Guy says he wants the item and then never communicates again. CL buyers around here are worse than ever. No one is buying anything. I've even had a guy lowball me and when I accepted he dropped off the face of the earth.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Frankenfretter and honyock like this.

4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

That is b.s.

Maybe message Reverb? They might be able to do something to nudge the buyer if they sent an offer that you accepted and failed to follow through with payment

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Update: After contacting Reverb, the "buyer" sent me a message stating that he had purchased another amp, and to go ahead and relist mine. He did apologize, but as far as I'm concerned, it's too late. Reverb did say they would review his account. I left a two-star feedback rating (he would have had just one, but he did finally contact me), and a warning to other sellers. Hopefully Reverb doesn't pull the feedback info.

fullonshred and guitaro like this.
  6. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

I had an awesome one of these situations last night. I had an Ibanez for sale at $200, the guy lowballed me at $130, eventually we renegotiated it to $150 and I said OK. He then asked me for a pic of the headstock and when I provided it said he wasn't looking for that Ibanez model and he was going to pass on it. My ad plain as day says the exact model name of the guitar and has every single detail you can ask for.

Another guy came to buy my Les Paul hardshell case and in the process of handing the money over started asking me if the case will fit a strat. I was like uhhh no, that's why it's a Les Paul case..?

I used to think these people were kind of out to just mess with/troll sellers for fun, but now I've realized over time that there's just a LOT of stupid people out there.

zosofan, warped, MichaelR and 8 others like this.
  7. cantthink0f0ne

cantthink0f0ne Well-Known Member

Better to have not made the sale then to have shipped out and then deal with the typical ebay scammers that try to file a damage claim or something along those lines.

I've had a high end guitar on there for a few months now, only offers i've gotten were close to half the value. Some I didn't even bother replying to, just declined. It's a crapshoot for sure but I think its safer for the seller than ebay.

Sorry that your handshake deal didn't go through, that happens more often then we hear about i'm sure.

guitaro and Frankenfretter like this.
  8. rambleon

rambleon Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is really annoying. Also, when you use the 'make an offer' option, there's a little check-box you have to click which says you will buy the item if your offer is accepted. If the buyer is indeed accepting this and then doesn't follow through with the deal, Reverb needs to hold their feet to the fire and at least fine them or temporarily suspend their account.
    On the other hand, like Ilya said, these guys will find something to nit-pick about and since with ebay and Reverb it's the norm to take the buyer's word, you would end up losing money.
    While ebay and especially Reverb are great for getting rid of gear, there's always a risk involved if you're a seller unfortunately.

9. uwmcscott

uwmcscott Well-Known Member

Yeah, that stinks. At least you never got to the point of shipping or having to deal with money changing hands and having to reverse a transaction - it could have bee FAR worse. If this is the only problem you ever have on Reverb/CL/Fleabay consider yourself very fortunate!

10. slowhand84

Yeah the fine would be a great idea, even if it's something small like $25 it would discourage a lot of people who try to pull sneaky moves.

Generally though I will say Reverb is 10000X better than Ebay ever was, even in it's prime. And the customer service is top notch, you message them with a question at 1 AM and 10 seconds later you're talking to a real person who's answering it for you. Pretty killer.

Frankenfretter and honyock like this.
  11. rambleon

rambleon Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup, I rarely bother with eBay any more when buying or selling stuff.

12. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that man. Being able to sell stuff on the internet is both a blessing and a curse. Overall the positives outweigh the negatives in my book.

13. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Sean, but it sounds like you saved yourself a headache. Be patient over there. It'll sell.

Only thing I have on Reverb right now is a pickup. I got the typical lowball/counter offer scenario. After I countered ( a price in between his insult & my fair listing price) he passes, grumbling about how he couldn't possibly pay that much ($25?) for a pickup.

I wish there was a fuck off button that triggered a slap across the face.

14. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You know, if it weren't for all the horror storied I read about internet selling, I'd have a LOT less gear. I just don't need the hassles, so I have too much stuff! lol

warped and Frankenfretter like this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of equipment I'd like to sell but I doubt I would ever do it on eBay or Reverb. I've never used Reverb and I used eBay once and got into a dispute with the seller over a guitar I bought. I lost money on the deal but I've just logged it into my "lessons learned." category.

16. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is the way things are when dealing with the general public. By and large, most people are smart and just want to make a transaction happen. There are some fools out there who aren't very bright, or can't make a decision, or are just plain trying to pull some shit. The same situations happen when working in brick and mortar retail as well - the only real difference being that people are an order of magnitude more likely to be douche-y when trying to deal through the internet since there's no real risk of getting punched in the face.

It's always a good thing to remind yourself that you have rights as a seller. I have politely broken things off with potential buyers when it appears that they will present problems.

As you can imagine, I get a lot of questions about the guitar bodies I make. I cut them to fit a certain standard and test fit them all before listing them for sale. Most of the questions I get involve fitment issues - which I don't make any guarantees for since I never have all their parts sitting in front of me. I can never know if they are the right spec or the right size. I clearly state that all fitment issues are the responsibility of the buyer, and I have a return policy if the body isn't going to work out.

I always make my best attempt to help a customer out, but I also realize that some people won't allow themselves to receive help and still others are beyond help.

Once a potential buyer crosses a certain point where I just get a feeling that they aren't going to be satisfied no matter what I do, I encourage them to investigate other options. As of yet, I haven't had to outright refuse to sell to anyone. I will do so if necessary.

Still, it's all about customer service. Sometimes it's a seller's job to make the realization for the customer that a product they sell isn't going to be the right thing for them in the end.

warped and Frankenfretter like this.
  17. slowhand84

Lol, I had one guy on Reverb offer me $200 less than my price for a guitar I had, and he told me he isn't willing to pay any more cuz that's what the last one on Ebay went for.

I did a search, the one on EBay had an unrepaired cracked headstock and was missing 3 tuners. :ROFLMAO:

Frankenfretter and fullonshred like this.
  18. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My most recent guitar sale on Reverb made me very reluctant to list anything for sale anywhere again. I accepted a best offer and sold the guitar, which was like new and in the same condition as it came from the factory. The buyer received it and seemed really happy with it - left 5 star feedback as well. A little over a month later, I received a furious rant of a message from the buyer stating that he had to have a lot of work done on the guitar and it was my fault that the guitar wasn't perfect regarding set-up, nut etc. If the buyer had let me know sooner, I would have tried to help them out, but I was really taken back by the tone of the message and the timing. I also didn't feel like I had misrepresented anything, nor did I know of anything wrong with the guitar. It really has me wondering to what extent and what time frame should a seller support a used guitar sale.

idiotsdelight and Frankenfretter like this.
  19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

7 days after receipt is the standard on Reverb. If they don't raise a stink by then, they are S.O.L.

If someone wants more like 30 days, they should buy from Guitar Center in my opinion...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

idiotsdelight and Frankenfretter like this.
  20. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As you sell more sell online, it's inevitable you will run into these situations. I've had at least 3 instances where people backed out of sales on Reverb. There's really nothing you can do about it except leave bad feedback and report them to Reverb. And Reverb doesn't do anything about it other than keep a record, and if it is repeated behavior they can block them from buying (until they make a new account). If you were using Bumps (which I don't recommend) Reverb will give you them all back and start counting them down from the point of relisting.

I actually don't get that upset about it if the buyer backs out and writes back right away and explains they are backing out. It's a bummer but I didn't really lose anything other than getting my hopes up that I had made a sale.

But when they leave you hanging like this it definitely pees me off because for all you know, you are missing a buyer while your item is tied up in a sale that the guy has no intention of completing. Once I had to actually contact Reverb to get them to relist the item for me because it had been like 3-4 days and the guy simply wouldn't reply.

I've learned to not let it frustrate me too much, and even low ball offers don't really bother me. It's not worth worrying about, I just decline and move on. Selling on Reverb does take a lot of patience often times, but I've never had anything yet that didn't eventually sell.