NGD Gibson Firebird Zero. This Guitar Sucks.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by agufish, Apr 20, 2017.

1. agufish

agufish Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in a while, but just in case anyone was tempted by the pricepoint on these pieces of ****...

Or if you don't feel like watching the video: basically save your money and buy a Bento. The Gibson Firebird Zero is an absolute piece of junk. It's not just a bad guitar for $499, it's just a bad guitar.

Gergo, Lamf77, DonM and 16 others like this.
  2. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

You don't have to convince me.
    Looks like azz, plays like azz. sounds like azz....WTF.

agufish likes this.
  3. James

James Well-Known Member

As always great video sir.

Gibson never ceases to amaze me lately by watering down their brand by releasing products so no frills it's crazy and then putting a price tag high enough to compete with high end LTD. The only redeeming quality is the name on the headstock.... But how far will that carry them?

I'm certain I'd rather a legit ESP to a American Gibson. Even Ibanez is making semihollows that I'd rather have.

The kicker is they can't design amps either. They only do one thing well.... reproduce a 58 year old design.

Was that too harsh?

manco53 and agufish like this.

4. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

Came for the description...stayed for the personality of reviewer and video/sound production of video.
    10/10 would enjoy you coming around more often @agufish

Gergo, mark_morton, tonray and 3 others like this.
  5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

@agufish - Great video review!

Takes some ba$$ to tell it like it is. I often feel reviewers give glowing reviews to crap, because they want to immediately unload it for top dollar after the video.

Hopefully, you purchased it from a company with a return policy.

Gergo, tvvoodoo and agufish like this.
  6. agufish

Nope, I agree with you! At the moment, I'd rather have anything ESP/LTD than the equivalent Gibson. Just can't trust them at the moment.

Thanks dude! Haha, yeah I've been gone too long. Life, man. Life.

Thanks, man. I figure you only have one reputation, so best to be honest. I have an agreement with a local/national retailer for these video reviews. I mention them in my other videos, but decided to leave them out of this one so they don't get in trouble with the manufacturer haha. Now all I need to worry about is not getting punched in the face by a Gibson rep at Summer NAMM!

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Well-Known Member

So the Zero is ... a zero?

(sorry, too easy to pass up)

frozensoda and jtcnj like this.
  8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

That's no lie... These guitars are aptly named. I haven't watched the video yet, or read a single review because I saw one at a GC a few of weeks ago and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I didn't even want to plug it in... Just put it back on the wall and walked away shaking my head.

9. Mossman

Just watched the video. Now I'm glad I didn't waste my time plugging it in at the store. That thing sounds like ASS.

@agufish looks like you lucked out and actually got one with at least some kind of finish. The ones I saw at GC just had paint and they didn't even use grain filler... Pathetic.

Not to mention, the body is only 1" thick. I didn't know whether to play music or cricket with that thing.

Looks like it's unsuitable for music so...

tobijohn likes this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Well-Known Member

Opps. I made my comment before I watched the video. And Acufish makes the same point at the very end.

thepezident likes this.
  11. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

the firebird "0" sucks worse than the worst suck ever sucked

agufish, rmfroyd and jam like this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I still think that's the best new body style I've seen in years. This is the body the noreverse fb should have been. And I like a thin nitro finish with the grain coming through. My sg faded is a similar finish and a hell of a guitar. We're these sg s so hated at the time? I agree I wouldn't pay 500 for it but 275 used? 350 used or closeout? I don't know. Maybe I'd hate it in person. I was never tempted for a second by those melody maker toys a few years ago. Difference is I like this body style.

13. otisblove

otisblove Active Member

I picked one of these up at GC. VERY light, which I like. I don't recall anything else about it except that I too came away feeling like it was a piece of crap.

14. Mossman

Make sure it actually has a thin nitro finish, because the ones I saw sure didn't have any, and I wouldn't put it past Gibson to skip the clear-coat on some to rush them out the door. Hell, Fender used to ship guitars without lacquer when they fell behind on production. I'm sure Gibson's done it in the past on some models, and this is a perfect guitar for that. So many corners have been cut already, what's one more?

nomadh likes this.
  15. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they didn't just make a stripped down firebird (ala the old vintage mahogany or faded series).
    This odd shaped monstrosity was just a dumb decision.

Mossman likes this.
  16. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

These were of Zero interest to me, & I loves me some Firebird.

I know people were gung ho here over these & that LP shaped one. I can't believe people were willing to pay $499. Save $300 more & get the Epi Treasure... whoops, it has 1 pickup.

If these said Epi on it they would have been $179-$199 guitars retail.

The only thing it has going for it is leftys can flip it. Why would it have been so wrong to just make it a reverse FB?

Rokdog likes this.
  17. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

I guess we just have to take thier word for it!...
    Less than $500 , Fucking piece of crap.
    Over $5K. Better, but then again , in 30 years when they only sold a couple hundred they'll be the greatest guitar they ever built right?

midnightblu likes this.
  18. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Well-Known Member

The Gibson bashers love to come out of the woodwork on here from time to time :)

You mean, an ultra low end guitar, with low end features, electronics and hardware didnt blow you away?!

I played one in GC expecting to not like it at all and had to keep myself from buying it. The pickups were crap, but it was a resonant guitar that Stayed in tune and played really well. No crazy sharp fret ends or weird finish blems. Sure, you can get a lot more features for $500, but that doesn't make it a terrible guitar unless the specific example itself sucks. Which can happen on any level of guitar.

I remember when the LPJ and sgj came out, so many people hated and were against them as they were "ultra low quality" guitars. I own 3 of them and besides a couple sharp fret ends which is easily remedied, they're incredible guitars. I never understood the hate. Unless someone saw what they were and criticized them without even trying them.

As far as Gibson only being able to make 58 reissues and nothing else well.....have you played anything from the past few years? 2013, 2014 and 2016 are said to have been some of gibsons best production years in decades, and as someone who has owned a shit load of Gibsons among other guitars, I'd agree. I have 2 2013 Gibsons, 2 2014's and 2 2016's. All excellent guitars that I'm happy to own and stand head an shoulders above most of my others. Maybe play some Gibsons other than the ones hanging on guitar centers wall, or taking what people say online as your own opinions.

guitaro, Rokdog and honyock like this.
  19. agufish

I think the one I got did, because it does smell like it.. for whatever that's worth.

Hey Tim! Yeah a Firebird Tribute or Faded would have been really cool. I would have been totally on board with that.

To be fair, I'm not a total Gibson hater. One of my favorite guitars is my '72 Custom and I've demoed a fair few from the 2017 lineup. I even say at the end of the video Gibson still makes great guitars, including the Tribute T which is one of my favorite guitars under $1000 new I've demoed. Personally for the lackluster finish, crappy pickups, and flawed bridge, I wouldn't recommend the Firebird Zero to anyone.

tvvoodoo, Bad.Seed and Mossman like this.
  20. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried one of these in the store and it was dreadful. Wouldn't stay in tune properly, but the worst part was definitely the finish. It literally looked like someone just used 3-4 layers of spray paint and didn't bother to do anything else.

The amount of corners cut is almost impressive. Like, I know it's a $400 guitar made in the US. I get that. But it still has to be a GOOD quality guitar. A lot of people seem to think that USA built automatically dictates quality, but I'm afraid nowadays that's nowhere near true anymore.

Gergo and agufish like this.