Gibson's Money Woes..

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Rokdog, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:18 PM.

1. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

2. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

Geert De Lombaerde

“Gibson Brands, Inc. today announced that the company made a $16.6 million coupon payment to holders of its $375 million, 8.875% senior secured notes due 2018.”

That simple statement issued a week ago — at all of 26 words, it’s less than a quarter the length of Gibson’s boilerplate company description that accompanied it — suggests a business-as-usual tone of a company taking care of its contractual commitments.

But the situation facing the iconic Nashville-based music instrument maker, which has annual revenues of more than $1 billion, is far from normal: CFO Bill Lawrence recently left the company after less than a year on the job and just six months before $375 million of senior secured notes will mature. On top of that, another $145 million in bank loans will come due immediately if those notes, issued in 2013, are not refinanced by July 23.

Less than six months out from those crucial deadlines, the prospects for an orderly refinancing — Gibson has hired investment bank Jefferies to help with that — look slim, observers say. And the alternative scenarios look likely to sideline longtime owner and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz.

“At the end of the day, someone will take control of this company — be it the debtors or the bondholders,” Debtwire reporter Reshmi Basu told the Post this week. “This has been a long time coming.”

Basu said some bondholders have complained about a lack of clarity from Gibson — a situation that has not improved by the arrival of GSO Capital Partners, a unit of private equity giant Blackstone that about a year ago extended Gibson a lifeline via $130 million in loans. Basu told the Post GSO’s arrival on the scene has unsettled some bondholders, who have organized and hired financial and legal advisors to protect their interests.

Kevin Cassidy, a senior credit officer at Moody’s Investors Service, says Juszkiewicz essentially has just three options: He and his team could negotiate an exchange of their debt coming due for new notes, which may not be feasible at a reasonable price. He also could be persuaded — or forced — to give up some of his equity in exchange for the debt payments. Or he may end up taking one of the most globally recognized brands that calls Nashville home to bankruptcy court.

“This year is critical and they are running out of time — rapidly,” said Cassidy, who last summer downgraded Gibson’s debt rating. “And if this ends in bankruptcy, he will give up the entire company.”

Attempts to reach Gibson executives via a spokesman this week were not successful.

The company recently gave itself a bit of breathing room by selling a former Baldwin Piano warehouse in The Gulch for $6.4 million. It also is trying to sell the nearby Valley Arts building on Church Street, although that deal has landed in court. But those sales — the Valley Arts property will bring in about $11 million — are unlikely to make a big enough dent to stave off a painful overhaul.

Gibson needs to report by next week its final numbers for its fiscal third quarter to stakeholders. One thing bond owners will be watching for is an improvement in the company’s electronics business, which has been built up in the past few years via debt-fueled acquisitions but has seen sales slump of late.

Still, even a solid turnaround on that front won’t be enough for Juszkiewicz to avoid difficult conversations.

“Some type of restructuring will be necessary,” Cassidy said. “The core business is a very stable business, and a sustainable one. But you have a balance sheet problem and an operational problem.”

despiadado likes this.
  3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

One reason why I've downsizing my collection. I suspect used prices on guitars (I own no Gibsons) will take a bit of a hit when this goes through.

despiadado and Rokdog like this.

4. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sounds promising that they are predicting Henry will be forced out. Bout time.

despiadado, AxeGlove, Brendan and 2 others like this.
  5. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

Bummer. Legendary American Icon...in the hands of an acquisition crazed nitwit.

despiadado and Rokdog like this.
  6. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

But I mean....

This sort of thing has to be planned, right?

If it goes to bankruptcy, Henry had to have purposely planned that and has some tax strategy to dodge the bullet and come out ahead.

7. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

Good riddance. Words fail when it comes to Henry J.

Rokdog and AxeGlove like this.
  8. frozensoda

frozensoda Well-Known Member

Gibson’s financial situation...
    B24294E7-98A6-4AC2-9769-B893B6C03B90.jpeg

9. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

Not me Henry is a "luddite".

nomadh and Rokdog like this.
  10. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

No way dudes. They're totally going to make a comeback with these amazing and affordable new offerings! o_O

LP_CBV.PNG LP_CIF.PNG LP_CMN.PNG LP_CNY.PNG LP_JM.PNG

jimytheassassin and HTSMetal like this.
  11. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Been at least a couple weeks since we had a Gibson-Hater thread, you guys are slacking off.

despiadado, midnightblu, Tiga and 6 others like this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

23167929_1853115181366419_2815971464932151583_n.jpg

13. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Or is this a be careful what you wish for moment. Henry j sucks but who becomes the owner after him?
    Samsung, general mills, zuckerberg? Fender? Samick?
    Maybe Samick buys the name ,shuts it all down and now all gibsons are just foreign imports.
    Just look at Pacific ans see how they now own schwinn, giant, mongoose and iron horse. And about 5 others now I think.
    Are there any good options waiting in the wings?

despiadado, Rokdog and Gergo like this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Hate gibson or love gibson and hate the management. I wish gibson all the best.
    And that's not henryj

Rokdog likes this.
  15. stevebway

stevebway Well-Known Member

Well , if they go out of business all Gibsons will be worth more.

16. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I love Gibson guitars and hope they live on!!!

despiadado, Tiga, Rokdog and 2 others like this.
  17. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I love the 2018 Tributes.

Tiga and Rokdog like this.
  18. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like we've been down this road before the last time(s) Gibson was sold.

nomadh, despiadado and Rokdog like this.
  19. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Companies prosper to giants, evolve, or fall all the time for a variety of reasons.

I dont hate them, I just feel for the working folks who lose their jobs while the big shots skip away fat and happy.

I'd like to own some Gibsons but there are tons of good used affordable guitars out there, including Gibson; I wouldnt miss them if they go under.

I have yet to pay even close to $300 for any guitar to date, so that puts me out of the Gibson market new or used anyway.

Unless you count the fire sale on the M2 last year, or end 2016 maybe.
    I dont understand the marketing there into their own Epiphone market.

But, I almost grabbed one of those, and thats probably why. Although I would only even consider it at the fire sale price, under $250. if I recall. I think Tiga here paid like $229.

I sometimes wish I would have, but then the stripped down product is no better than some of what I have except for what perceived value the Gibson label on the headstock would have to me.

despiadado, PsychoCid and Rokdog like this.
  20. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against the Gibson brand as I have 4 of my own,
    though as a perceived Industry leader their management is a joke and will sink the ship if not righted

MichaelR likes this.