NGD Ibanez As73

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jtcnj, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:35 AM.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I have been looking to fill the blank semi hollow spot in my stable for some time.
    The recent thread by MichaelR reflected my thoughts so well it put me on the hunt again.
    Found this used on Reverb. I prefer the natural finish, 2nd choice black, but the condition and price were right.

The action was a bit high, the tailpiece was decked and the strings actually had a bend / kink from the back of the bridge. The intonation was off on every string and WAY off on G and B.
    Looks like the strings were changed recently; I wiped them down with a lysol wipe for the evaluations stage and now a fresh set of D'Addario XL110 10-46 is in place.
    Everything is now sorted.

Serial number looker upper says its a 2008.

Close to mint condition, seems it was played very little.
    The truss rod turns and functions like it should.

Couple of minor buckle rash type scratches and some swirling type scratches in the poly, but no dings or chips.
    Fit and finish very clean.

The fretwork is very good except the end bevels are a little sharp; a few light file passes will cure that.
    It doesn't "need" it and is quite playable and typical; but I can easily make it better.

The neck is kind of a narrower C, it seems a little bit thicker than the Epi slim taper D profile.

The tuners, hardware and electronics a at least ok and work as they should. I wont be upgrading these unless something fails.

The nut is ok as far as string height, but the slots are very deep compared to the recommended fitment.
    I have bone blanks and a cheapy set of nut files I will have at it, more for the experience.
    It is playable and tuning is stable.

The pickups are at least ok; not great but ok. I have not had enough plugged in time to really make a decision.
    I figure on trying an A2 magnet swap before pick up upgrades if inclined.

I like it a lot; its a keeper.
    And it fits great in the EPI Dot case I bought for the Dot that did not work out.

IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG

ronnx, andrewsrea, msc_ and 8 others like this.
  2. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

HNUSHGD, that's a classy looking guitar. I think a lot of people overlook Ibanez but they make some of the nicest Semi-hollows out there IMHO, and for a very good price.

bygdaddy and jtcnj like this.
  3. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Wow that's nice - I so want a semi-hollow. I hear really good things about that model - you did good.

jtcnj likes this.

4. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Good looking guitar, congrats!

jtcnj likes this.
  5. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Congrats - Ibbies Rule!

jtcnj likes this.
  6. big daddy

big daddy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the AS club and nice guitar you got there.

jtcnj likes this.
  7. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

Congrats! I have the exact same guitar. I replaced the tuners and nut, they were horrible. Changed out the bridge and stop bar for preference, really don't like those "quick change" ibanez stop bars even though they look good, if you don't double check the strings when tightening them they sit wrong. Anyhow, the necks on these guitars are just about perfect to me. I'm planning on changing the pick ups one of these days, prob pup some humbucker size p90s or a2 buckers in there. I paid 200 bucks for mine used, I steal for an awesome built guitar and a great mod platform.

jtcnj likes this.
  8. Mark W

Mark W Well-Known Member

9. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

Congrats, I own several Ibby's and they are great guitars (with a little moding). Build, fit and finish has always been great and if your lucky to locate a Korean built guitar (yours should be) before they went to China you have a top quality guitar.

Once again, congrats...

10. Zipslack

Zipslack Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to the club!

I'm guessing your model still used the ACH pickups? I have an older AF-75 with ACH pickups and a newer "Vintage" AM-73 with Classic Elite pickups. I actually don't dislike the ACH, but the newer Classic Elite pickups are an improvement. Either way, they're decent...give 'em time and tweak your EQ settings and they might grow on you.

11. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Nice easy playing guitars with a great neck. I have an AS-83. Don’t get the name of the quick change tailpiece. I don’t see anything about it being quick. You have to be careful when you change strings on it. Other than that, very nice guitars for the price. And I prefer your plain top over mine.

12. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Thanks all!
    I noticed that on the tailpiece you need to make sure the ball seats correctly. I dont see it as an improvement either; how hard is it to feed the string through the hole?
    I wont change it unless it becomes problematic.

13. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice! HNGD!!

14. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I like the burst on the front and back - that is getting rarer these days. HNGD!

15. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice congrats! I read somewhere although I have not verified it that the bridge pup is wound at 14.5 or there about's which is pretty hot. I put a alnicoV in my bridge and I like it better, i'm waiting on more magnets for he neck pup. Mine had the Ibanez bigby clone added which is nice except I'm not really a whammy fan so I think Ill replace it with an aluminum stoptail. If you want it let me know I won't ask much or maybe we could trade some little thing.