Lefty Neck Options

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Fat Jack, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Member

As my very first post pointed out I'm an old beginner. In fact my taurus ii is my first electric and left handed options here are pretty much buy online with 2 lefty electrics I know of for sale both Fender standard strats mim. My problem is I have major problems chording cleanly on the top 2 strings. Best i can figure it's a combo of neck thickness and nut width . I can do it on an acoustic with a thinner profile and slightly wider nut. I'd hate to sell the taurus as I love the overall vibe and feel. I'm guessing my options are buy a furrian or sx strat neck left ot right handed and recontour the neck or double check the neck pocket size on the taurus and find a fender spec neck with a profile and nut width I like witch is probably going to be the standard fender strat neck for the nut width. I mentioned right handed necks since i have no problem with areversed headstock and putting in a new nut. Any suggestions welcome.

2. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Welcome to the nut house.
    I believe there are several purveyors of guitar necks these days thus you should be able to find something to your liking.
    I tend to think it would be easier to find something you like and modify it slightly to fit the neck pocket of your guitar
    as opposed to re-contouring the neck?

3. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Member

Thanks, Mickey. I do think you're right it would be easier to slap a 'new' neck on it. Given the scarcity of lefty necks here probably my best option is to put my hands on a few rightys to see how the necks feel, then get a lefty version of it. I'm thinking a 22 fret squier standard strat neck would be a good option if it feels right.

4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

You could try a neck from China. I am surprised how nice the kmise brand necks have been, bought through Amazon. They are nicer than the one (and only) Mighty Mite neck I have bought at 1/3 the price. They are basically standard width (Graphtech nut was a drop in fit), but the profile is more like a Fender or Squier standard rather than the chunky one SX uses.

I now have a strat one and a tele one, one maple fretboard, one rosewood.

The nice part is that if you want to make profile adjustments, you aren't stuck first sanding through the super thick poly SX uses on these Constellation Series guitars (I have a Leo myself). It saves a ton of work and then you can just add a nice thin finish like tru-oil or a wipe on satin poly that feels so much nicer IMO.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Member

:smiley: Thanks a ton on that. I had seen kmize necks among others and wondered about quality, I like the optin of being able to sand it down if needed and would love to have something like a tru-oil finish on a maple/maple neck.