Mosstone: Project Rose - "the Fuchsia Strat"

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by Mossman, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You
    From the makers of "Project Rogue - Beatle Bass Overhaul" and "Mosstone Mahogany Tele Build" comes another breathtaking, tour-de-force project thread that will leave you on the edge of your seat with suspense! (mostly wondering: "Hey! Is he even still working on this thing anymore???)

In a world full of cheap, Asian-made guitars, one man starts out on a quest to find himself, and satisfy his unstoppable obsession.

One man apart, with a vision... Unwilling to settle for corporate offerings and 'committee approved designs".
    A man alone in a world gone mad, willing to stretch the boundaries of good taste... and probably good sense!

A man who doesn't care if you think his guitar is 'girly'.

A man with a dream, and a can of paint! (And probably too much time on his hands...)

Its....

Mosstone: Project Rose - "The Fuchsia Strat"
    (you know things are getting out of control when there's a colon and a tag-line in the title of your project thread...)

19706a9738c60d48e4fef7439497fea7.jpg

It has begun!

After allowing myself a couple of weeks to play the Gypsy Rose and enjoy her Stratty goodness, I took her apart this afternoon and scuffed up the body with 220 grit sandpaper in preparation for painting. I decided to go with the fuchsia-ish, 'Sugar' paint I mentioned in the 'SX Gypsy Rose Owners' thread. I think it'll be quick and easy to work with, and I like the color. I've already taped and sprayed the headstock and it looks pretty good. I want to wait until tomorrow to take pictures of it in natural daylight. The color doesn't look right in the pics I took of it indoors.

Check out that swimming pool rout! Looks like somebody went a little freestyle with the router and it got away from him a little. At least it didn't go beyond the boundaries of the pickguard.

Impressions on disassembly:

That rout may look ugly, but this guitar was assembled very well. Everything was put together nice and tight. All the screws came out with considerable effort, but most importantly, they all came out straight. Nothing was loose, or sloppy. Nothing looked like it was 'eyeballed' or slap-dash. Everything lined up perfectly.

The neck pocket was a nice, snug fit. I didn't have to exert a whole lot of force to get it out of the pocket, but there was a bit of friction. I measured the neck heel and discovered that it is indeed 2-3/16" wide, so these guitars can be used to make a 24.75" tele, and for the Firebird project I have planned.

The quality of this neck is excellent. Not a single bad fret on it. It's got a great, comfortable profile for me... Even the rosewood looks really nice (and it'll look better after some linseed oil).

But the question is; if I start buying these guitars to harvest the necks, what will I do with the bodies? (who of my good friends here will help me get rid of the bodies?! :cautious:).

I can't think of why anyone would want to buy a body you can't get a neck for without spending $200 (or buying a Gypsy Rose).

Here's a (blurry) look at the back of the pickguard. I have to say, I like the convenience of being able to pull out all your works in one go. Cut three wires, and everything is uninstalled.

38d9fe9f47c1d01fb78994ac6a0ad4b6.jpg

Pretty neat wiring job. Pots, cap and switch are crap, or course... Those will be replaced. I think I'm going to wire the middle pickup to its own volume, so I can dial it in and out, and wire the bridge and neck pickups to a four way switch like a Tele. That way, I can have all pickup combinations, plus the bridge and neck in series. I'll also shield the cavity and PG. I had a hard time getting used to one volume and two tones, anyway... And no tone control for the bridge pickup?? No-no-no-no... There will be a master tone.

The stock pickups actually sound surprisingly good, and I grew to appreciate them more with each day, but they could use a little mellowing out. I was going to have Tim make me a set of pickups, but TMC got me thinking about changing magnets, so I want to try that first. I think some A5s will do the trick.

2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Great project documentation here. Loving all the minutiae and details.

PsychoCid, Tsukiyomi and Mossman like this.
  3. warped

warped Well-Known Member

Interesting project. Super interesting about the neck heel width.

Mossman likes this.

4. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Watching! Good luck with the project.

Mossman likes this.
  5. Moogster66

Moogster66 Well-Known Member

Swimming pool route? It's a Hoover Dam route!

Brendan and Mossman like this.
  6. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those bar magnets are most likely ceramic. I don't know if they make A5 in that size, or if a A5 humbucker bar magnet size would work properly.

Mossman likes this.
  7. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

PsychoCid, Tsukiyomi and Mossman like this.
  8. Mossman

Thanks TMC... I sometimes worry if I'm being too detailed and verbose in my project threads, but I make a lot of mental notes and observations as I work on a project, and it's hard not to include that information.

And thanks to everyone else for your comments!

As promised, here's a shot of the painted headstock in sunlight. This paint is kind of a chameleon... When you take a picture with the flash indoors, it looks more magenta, or pink-ish. When I turn off the flash, it looks more lavender (and blurry).

This is pretty much what the color actually looks like... I think it's more purple than fuchsia, but it depends on the light. I was sanding and spraying outside, and a couple of neighbor kids took some interest in my work. One of them kept asking me if it the color was pink, or purple.

632216e82a4e8702ba49adedb5e9c8b7.jpg

My first matching headstock.

This paint has got some texture to it, but that won't be a problem under several coats of poly. I like this stuff... It's super opaque and covers very quickly. Dries really fast too, with almost no odor.

I have got to find some better tape, though. The nine-dollar-a-roll Frogtape didn't work any better than the six-dollar-a-roll blue tape... Had some leakage along the bottom edge of the headstock (again, sorry for the blurry pic... that's what happens when you turn off the flash):

c1f51d58d128563590ca4e04d0c9724a.jpg

Not a big deal, though... I just wrapped a wooden dowel in 220 grit to sand that paint off. Next, I'm going to stain the maple with a mixture of Yellow Ocre oil paint and mineral spirits. No Tru-Oil this time, though... I'm going to use all poly.

I think I might take the body to work with me and paint it there, rather than the courtyard of my apartment complex! :)

PsychoCid, Tsukiyomi and toomanycats like this.
  9. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Save the apartment courtyard for the nitro spraying projects.

10. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

Good progress report!

As for the extra bodies...defer to those who have solved that problem before: women who craft.

Check out Pinterest. I'm sure you can turn those bodies into a planter or a cutting board. lol

11. Mossman

They are ceramic, and they do make A5 bar magnets in that size (and probably lots of other sizes and shapes): http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_..._Pickup_Kits_and_Parts/Alnico_Bar_Magnet.html

Thank you TJ, I remember my own Tele project... :D

...and there ain't no rule that says my projects have to be finished in a any particular order. ;)

But seriously, I've resumed working on that project as well... With all the problems I was having finishing the headstock in Tru-Oil, I just got my ambition knocked out of me for a little while, but it's back on again... I just haven't made any progress that's photo, or update-worthy yet, but it's coming!

12. Mossman

Ha! Right!

That was exactly what I was thinking... Donate them to a school, or some kind of arts & crafts program.

Mr. Leyvatone likes this.
  13. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm one to talk, I've got about three dozen pickup swaps yet to do and a spreadsheet with at least fifty line items of this and that for other guitars (including a couple refinishing projects)...

PsychoCid, Mr. Leyvatone and Mossman like this.
  14. Mossman

I've always got multiple projects going on at the same time... I've actually got five going right now, but I haven't mentioned three of them yet. :)

PsychoCid and Tsukiyomi like this.
  15. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

Those are humbucker/p90 bar magnets, the small sides are magnetized. With that ceramic, the fat side is magnetized.
    U will need to knock the bar mag off, hammer out the steel slugs and replace them with alnico rod magnets, make sure you buy magnetized. I thought this was what u were going to do when u asked about it.
    Slapping an a5 humbucker magnet under there won't work like you intend cause the fat side of those magnets aren't magnetized, just the skinny side.

Tsukiyomi, PsychoCid and Mossman like this.
  16. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Well there is no lack of entertainment in this thread!

Next, we can throw a BBQ and pool party in that ginormous route, holy cow.

Mr. Leyvatone and Mossman like this.
  17. Mossman

Ok, I get what you're saying. I did not know that... I assumed the magnets used in both would be the same, and as long as the size was right, I was ok. No worries, though... I initially assumed I would have to replace the slugs, so I'm just back where I started.

18. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Excited to watch this... love the colour. Do you need a water slide logo? Hit me up! also... maybe you have been using it for years but i caution against linseed oil for fretboard... mineral oil is perhaps better

FYI http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infpai/inflin.html

19. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Wow that is some pickup cavity...
    Cavity....
    cavity.. .
    avity.....
    avity....
    vity...
    ty...
    ty.... :)

20. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% on if u need .187 or .195 rod mags though.

Mossman likes this.