New Favorite Pick

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by msc_, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I recently grabbed some new picks that I REALLY like. I'm a big fan of Tortex and have been using the Tortex Wedge in 0.88 for a while and decided to give Tortex Flex picks a try. They sound and feel like a cross between standard Tortex and nylon and wear more like nylon - almost as good as Ultex. My one complaint is they don't feel as precise, especially when alternate picking - kind of like a Dava pick. They are also pretty inexpensive, so worth a try if you see them.

2523b18902f89ed07e49c6cc6b192199.jpg

rmfroyd and fullonshred like this.
  2. msc_

3. DanOH

DanOH Well-Known Member

I have been using these for about a year now:
    ac5bd6779eb8e64ada3749d5158f3bd0.jpeg

Little easier to hold on to for me

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    MichaelR likes this.

4. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I was going to comment about my credit card pics and pic punch when I look in my hand and I am using a green Tortex this morning.

5. toopicky

toopicky Well-Known Member

I'm a no frills kind of guy. These are pretty much the only ones that I use.

86788c4224b58db92071388f61189f69.jpg

Manodano and msc_ like this.
  6. msc_

I like the Fender Celluloid picks a lot, but they wear too fast for me and make a mess. I still use celluloid for acoustics.

mr_tornado_head likes this.
  7. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

B43BFEAE-D758-4B5B-8485-13629EF7E4E8.jpeg I use these 99 % of the time

davewrites and msc_ like this.
  8. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

I actually purchased some V-Picks after saying there is no way in hell I would pay that much for a single pick. Well I'm glad I did as it has become my favorite pick. I use two one is the Tradition UL and the other is the Tradition Lite. Which is very surprising I like the lite more as it's a lot thicker.

9. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I really liked them for a while but at the same time, they had their challenges.

I've never met a pick I could grind down faster than a V pick, for one. Which was amazing, because everyone else said the entire point is that they don't wear down (or wear extremely slowly).

They also made a great chirping noise come through the amp on every strum. Like a muscle car chirping the tires into 2nd gear, heh.

10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used to love going into different music stores and digging through their pick display boxes to find new (to me) picks - all types of materials, gauges, shapes, finger picks, thumb picks, "gimmick" picks, you name it. I've amassed an interesting box of unused common and oddball picks that I still have.

By the time I was 20 I pretty much settled on Fender Medium flatpicks for my serious practicing and playing (the tortoise taste best) and later at about 40 I discovered the Herco thumbpicks (medium in yellow seem to sound best). I guess my picking style has evolved for both types: I don't wear 'em down near as fast as I used to.

I got bored a couple of years ago and fished out all the fogotten non-Herco thumbpicks in my stash, and boiled some water and set out to soften and fit every one of them to my stubby fat thumb. I fit a whole bunch of them, played with each of them for a few minutes, and threw them back in the box. Meh. I've fit some Herco's, but it's not worth the effort, they fit me just fine.

And I've heard that chirping noise PsychoCid describes.

11. davewrites

davewrites Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm a fingerpickin' guy by nature. But I'm now making a more conscientious effort to use a pick every time I "pick" up a guitar. I doubt I'll ever get to 100% pick usage, but the hope is 50% of the time within the next year. This coincides with me starting up on Fender Play from the most remedial sessions. As in: "this is the nut and these are frets" and "here is the E string..." #UGH

Forcing myself to literally start from scratch with a pick makes these "lessons" a little more interesting and it curbs my natural impatience with picks because they're not as fast or accurate as my fingers (yet).

Anyways, quite a while ago I got a massive pick sampler baggie with an online guitar purchase--at least 40 different picks covering about 5 or 6 brands with all of their variations of material and thickness. That baggie has been in a drawer for a couple of years and I brought it out over this past weekend and played with them all. I think I did this because of all the Christmas Stocking jokes lately. Seriously, I poured myself a rye & ginger and gave every single pick I own 2-5 minutes before settling on three picks that I'd be willing to use for an extended period of time.

Cactus Picks "heavy" model, Derlin and I wager about 1.0mm thick...
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 9.31.58 PM.png

Wedgie Nylon XL black, which is marked 1.0mm. It's a little difficult to see, but it has textured grip in a depression for your thumb...
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 9.54.19 PM.png

And the pick I've been using on and off for about 5 years, which I still like a lot, the Hell Guitars Super Blacks. They offer 3 different weights/thicknesses but, guess what? I prefer their 1.0mm model. (Go figure!)

These are a real interesting synthetic material--very slick but have tons of grip. You can wipe them between your fingers and they feel satin-y smooth, but when you're a-pickin' and a-strummin', they do not slip. I have yet to drop one.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 9.58.50 PM.png

Finally, honorable mention goes out to another Wedgie model that I may keep handy as my novelty pick: Wedgie Rubbers 3.1mm in "medium" softness. Have you tried these?
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 10.09.38 PM.png

A little weird for sure, but if you give them a few minutes, you can adjust. I can totally see these working out for jazz musicians. The Rubbers are not built for speed and they instantly warm up your tone by about 10-15 degrees. It's so bloody obvious when you're A-B'ing picks. First you stop to go "Whoa, these picks are soft." And when you stop fiddling with them and resume playing, you stop again and go: "Whoa, that changes everything!"

I think I like them best with my acoustic.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see where I'm at in a few months. Whether I start specializing in one of the above and/or if I gravitate to a heavy or lighter pick over time. I like 1.0mm best right now because it's middle of the road and not at all "flappy."

12. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Well-Known Member

Been using these for awhile now..
    9cb4970802e199f585bd313980f16754.jpg

msc_ likes this.
  13. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I use the regular rather than the wedge shape but otherwise hell yes. Tortex 73 is one of the greatest picks of all time!

despiadado and pdcorlis like this.
  14. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Mine never change, save for maybe the color

0077efc15f6abcd0d3653c076401cf3d.png

despiadado and BrianSkeezer like this.
  15. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

I use those, the larger triangles for bass, or the same size Gator Grips.

RedLesPaul likes this.
  16. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Custom 1.00 mm Tortex SHARP here. All my friends make fun of me that it should be considered a weapon or that I'm gonna poke someone's eye out flicking a pick out into the crowd. The minimum order from Dunlop is 800 and I've only used 200 so far after almost a year, so I've got ammo :)

fd86034c84094b6ab8d6e0266c670f56._.jpg

despiadado likes this.
  17. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up on Tortex Flex. I grabbed a couple and we are getting along like a house on fire...

18. cantthink0f0ne

cantthink0f0ne Well-Known Member

19. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm I notice that chirp as well. I thought it was one of my pickups...

20. Eicca

Eicca Member

I started off on thick picks but after trying some thins I realized I like the sound from the thins better. Tone is a little brighter (which makes my Rockman AutoClean circuit work better) and when playing lead it’s more legato.

So I now save my thick picks for when I need a chunky rhythm sound.