New Pedal Day: Dod Gunslinger Mosfet W/sound Demo

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by toomanycats, Jan 10, 2018 at 4:15 PM.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

A short hard rock/metal tune using the Gunslinger.

fullsizeoutput_60d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_60e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_60c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_60b.jpeg

I jumped on the bandwagon after seeing a recent thread about this pedal. I ordered mine from Adorama, though I see that several other vendors now have them at the same low $30 price I paid. I'm not sure why everyone is dumping them so cheap.

I'm just going to make some really brief comments, as I'm fighting a cold/flu and it's nearly time to fix myself a soothing hot tody.

The back of the pedal needs to be unscrewed in order to put in the battery. It's a minor pain in the arse. I've got to deal with the same thing with my MXR Script Phase 90.

There's lots of gain with this one. Even with the gain at the lowest setting it's pretty darn dirty. As I've become more and more a blues cat of late, and getting wild and crazy for me constitutes revisiting some 80s hair metal tones, I don't see myself ever needing to move the gain knob past about 9 o'clock.

My usual starting point with any pedal is to set everything at 12 o'clock. The Gunslinger definitely does not sound best there, though within a few minutes of tweaking I dialed in some intriguing tones.

This pedal will dominate the sound of your amp, and your guitar too for that matter. Your sound will basically be the tone of the pedal. If you're looking for a transparent drive, clean boost, or mild bluesy break up, then this ain't it.

As far as the underlying tone, it's very smooth and harmonics are super abundant. It is also hyper clear, with every single note you play being audible, extreme defined, and separated. I definitely see applications for this pedal.

It's not particularly quite, especially when played through an amp that's already breaking up. However, this isn't atypical of high gain dirt boxes.

I also took this opportunity to showcase my recently acquired Maestro by Gibson. Besides giving it a good set up, the only change I've made to this guitar is installing a generic BHC ALNiCo 5 pickup that measures around 12K resistance. This is a great playing and sounding guitar.

There's two parts to the demo below, the first illustrating the rhythm sound, and the second showcasing some lead tones. Before each part I play a reference tone through the amp with the pedal disengaged. The amp is a master volume 18 watt Marshall type using the low input setting.

Puss Feller demanded that he be given an art direction credit. Frickin' cats, it's always all about them! This is his Angel Eyes/Lee Van Cleef impersonation (Get it? He's a "Gunslinger")
    fullsizeoutput_60a.jpeg

IMG_4253.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    needhelp, Rokdog, PsychoCid and 10 others like this.
  2. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you posted this as I haven't taken mine out of the box yet. Overall I like what this can do. I guess what remains to be seen is how it interacts with my gear and if it is usable and different enough from my Jubilee, Zendrive, Secret Freq and Caline CP-18. It seems to have more of a Riot/Rat vibe with compression.
    I don't know. Time will tell.

toomanycats likes this.
  3. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

I just like the Dokken sample.

toomanycats likes this.

4. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Nice Review.. and hope you feel better soon. I appreciate the sound and photos! I wondered about this briefly, but figured the DOD Boneshaker was enough of a plunge for me at $35. FWIW, I read over at ?TGP? *IIRC*, a user named digitechrep talking about the blowouts they would be having at various times prior to these ones. So, it's been an on/off/on-again sort of thing they've been doing with the pricing. Seems to be some overstock issues, and they are hoping enough people will buy at low prices and help drive future demand with positive reviews. I bet there's some mod threads on this one too, but in the few I've read about the Boneshaker, again I think at TGP, the rep warned that it would obviously violate the one year warranty. Still, you can't stop someone from ripping these things open at these prices. :p

toomanycats likes this.
  5. toomanycats

One of my favorite pieces of Lynch guitar work. One day I've got to learn the leads to that tune. He does some pretty crazy stuff on the outro.

PsychoCid and slaveunit like this.
  6. toomanycats

I added a hard rock/metal song I fiddled around today to the OP. The Gunslinger is really suited to this type of music.

Same setting as the original demo in the OP except for the leads, which have the gain set at 12 o'clock. I'm playing an Ibanez RG with modified Hadean pickups.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    PsychoCid likes this.
  7. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Wow, it sits in the new mix well.

8. toomanycats

Yeah, I imagine it would really allow you to cut through the mix in a live band situation too. It's almost like a distortion/compressor in one, though I don't fell like I'm losing the dynamics I often do with a compressor. There's lots of presence.

To my ears it does a classic George Lynch type tone really well, which I think of as fat and crunchy, very gainy yet defined, biting yet smooth. I'm definitely a fan of this pedal.

PsychoCid likes this.
  9. toomanycats

@PsychoCid, opinion on the tone of this pedal? Ya feeling the 80s thing with this one?

PsychoCid likes this.
  10. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Yo dude, I digs the music! Tone sounds pretty good, if only a bit beefier than the Lynch tone on the bottom end. But which amp are we hearing???

Also, that cat is wearing like a trench coat of fur! It's his equivalent to your beard.

toomanycats likes this.
  11. PsychoCid

I'm quite intrigued by the idea of putting the pedal on it's lowest settings in front of the 65 Amps London on it's highest.

12. toomanycats

I had the bass setting maxed. Actually the settings are exactly what you see in the pic with Puss. Gain: 9 o'clock. Level:12 o'clock. Bass maxed, treble maxed.

The amp is the 65 Amps London, Marshall channel, low input, Master volume set very low.

The Gunslinger is so dirty, even at it's lowest setting, that going into a dirty amp is going to yield super dense and heavy distortion.

The Gunslinger is so aggressive that for my ideal hard rock tone it's probably best that I use a lower output humbucker (8K range with A2 or A3 magnets) going into a tube amp set at very mild breakup.

PsychoCid likes this.
  13. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

sounds great and this guy approves !

cbf3400eb687b223412bfe4d07eb130b.jpg

PsychoCid and toomanycats like this.
  14. PsychoCid

Yeah!

So does the 65 have room to dial back? Or the pedal? Or the guitar, man....more on that later.

That's where all the magic is to me. I like low output pickup with not overworked preamp going into fully pushed power amp or otherwise a pedal to get there.

This is why I like my little Fender Champ 12 red knob so much. I'm no tech wizard but if I understand correctly...it's not wired like a Fender and it has a design that keeps the power amp going at all times.

Anyway back to the guitar volume. I kept everything dimed for years but now I LOOOOOOOVE the different tones you get just from playing with the volume, let alone a tone knob.

15. toomanycats

The cleanest setting possible on the 65 is the Vox channel with the master set low. It's pretty darn clean. The Marshall channel isn't quiet as clean at the lowest setting.

Yes on power tube distortion! A bunch of preamp tubes often sounds as buzzy as a can of bees to my ears. Power tubes, output transformer, and speaker are where it's at for me.

I often find the best dirty rhythm tone with the guitar volume knob dialed back just slightly, though for heavy leads I'm usually set at wide open throttle.

PsychoCid likes this.
  16. PsychoCid

Precisely. I want for guitar volume:

10 = metal
    9 = rock
    8 = clean

But I also dont use real cleans, I use dirty Van Halen cleans. Generally, anyway...until I hear some Buddy Holly and then catch a bug for it.

50s and 80s. So different and so the same.

17. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

I am always amazed about how different a pedal sounds in a mix vs. on its own.

Great review. Feel better.

toomanycats likes this.
  18. toomanycats

Would that be something like the break down after the solo in Panama?

19. PsychoCid

That's the one!

BTW also of course another benefit to using a2 mild pickups and the like is the ability to influence gain with picking strength.

Discovering that you could have a set up so sensitive was like unlocking a whole new instrument to me. That also got me into lighter picks, obligating me to be in more control of my wrist for how heavy or light it needed to sound.

toomanycats likes this.