New Years Resolutions (gear Related) What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by jimytheassassin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

This is probably the wrong way to think of making "resolutions", but I still can't help but think.. what would I do different next year with my gear. Buy, Sell, Fix, Give-away? And this time of year also causes me to look back at what may have changed already, or didn't change at all, since last year.

Reflection on last year: I had a goal to,
    1. Finish projects I've started.
    2. Not add any more projects that weren't necessary.
    3. make steps toward "de-cluttering" my gear collection.
    4. practice guitar more!
    5. Start to Boil down my gear collection to things I truly enjoy

These were general goals, and not thought out in a precise way that lead to action. I didn't set deadlines or measurable goals. I had good intentions, but hah.. well the year passed and guess what happened.
    The result:
    1. I did not finish projects I've started BUT I did make progress that will lead toward completion.
    2. I DID at more projects, and a couple that were "no-brainers". Thanks ubuyguitars!
    3. I sold One 4x12 cabinet, but bought another in it's place, and doubled my amp count to 8.. OOPS my bad :p
    4. I have been playing a lot more her at home
    5. I did achieve adding gear that speaks to me, but no so much getting rid of gears that don't

So, I think I am in order for a re-do of sorts, with the added addition of actionable goals. I will __by X date. I can't say it hasn't been a fun year though. What about you fellas. Do you have anything so silly on your resolutions list?

2. stevebway

stevebway Well-Known Member

Well thanks for relieving me from having to come up with anything on my own.
    I think the big challenge for me is that a lot of the peace of mind I currently enjoy comes from embracing randomness , spontaneity and not giving a shit.
    I know if I got rid of a bunch of guitars I can at least have a toilet again which would be a relief for my digestive system. If I had more creative output it would support self satisfaction but not my pocketbook.
    De-cluttering is a biggie as it connects deep in my psyche. Because of this I feel that it is largely out of reach as a goal but this week I needed a stamped copy of my birth certificate and I couldn't find one but I COULD find all sorts of bullshit paperwork that had no current relevance. De-clutter would be far reaching but a "reach" behaviorally.

Thanks for throwing this out there because just getting it out there reinforces it in my brain which I need.
    Neuro plasticity is great and I wish my brain was more plastic and less meat which is easier cooked or frozen than changed.
    What I need is change...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I don't generally like resolutions either. But if you are making me come up with something ;-)

Do more of: Learning and playing the gear I have
    Do less of: Worrying about/researching/buying/selling/optimizing my gear. I have more than I need.

4. Mandelorian1138

Mandelorian1138 Well-Known Member

Play the gear I DO have more often.

MattS, despiadado, cornfed and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

1. Only add one more guitar, a super cheap strat copy for travel.

2. Upgrade the PUPs in several guitars to Buddhas.

3. Get a cart/wagon for easy car loading.

That’s it. I otherwise have a sufficient roster of gear for all of my needs.

RockYoWorld and jimytheassassin like this.
  6. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Play more, GAS less.

arron, jtcnj, Bubba Zanetti and 9 others like this.
  7. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I've been giving this some thought, with the year ending. I don't engage in New Year's resolutions much (if I decide I need to make a change, I don't wait till the end of the year to do it), but I don't think the next year will be like this one.

This has been a banner year for guitar acquisition and projects. Since last November, my collection has grown exponentially. My projects have been progressing in fits and starts, but I'm close to finishing two of them. Since I pretty much have all the bases covered, in terms of having a broad pallete of sounds, and there's really only one guitar left that I still have GAS for (though that can always change), I think this year, I'm going to focus less on acquisition, and more on builds and learning.

GAS is distracting and time-consuming. I pride myself in finding great deals on guitars and gear, but then I think of all the time I had to spend to find them... All the meticulous hunting, and research, and forum posting... it almost seems like I would be better off just taking the first decent deal that comes along, and getting on with my life!

Of course, much of the thrill is in the hunt, but I could be a lot more productive with that time.

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I said, only more succinct. :)

9. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

I pretty much--finally--have relieved most of my GAS over the last year. I don't do resolutions, but next year I want to:

• Practice guitar and improve my playing.
    • Learn to use more of the features of Reaper.
    • Write more.
    • Record more.

needhelp, despiadado and Mossman like this.
  10. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

For example, true story BTW - just yesterday Mrs. RedLesPaul asked me if I wanted a package that Kenny Wayne Shepherd was selling that included a Fender Strat - probably MIM, but still. I told her no, I really don't need it, won't play it if its signed, we didn't need to spend that kind of money on another guitar that I don't need and really don't play well enough to justify it anyway.

So,
    RLP - 1
    GAS - 0

needhelp, despiadado, Mossman and 2 others like this.
  11. jimytheassassin

I'm glad you find it helpful! I know from my experience here, it takes time and effort to change how we live with "things". There's many realizations that are a part of a healthy goal.

We subscribed to a program called the "Power of Productivity" www.alejandra.tv . Go here, hit play and let it roll. She's pretty cute besides being very helpful. Alejandra actually created the program to help her with her own issues of clutter and then decided to share it, which you might not realize when you see how put together she seems now in her presentations. It provided reading and videos that basically walk you through the process of taking control of your environment and life. The beginning of the program delves a bit into personality types and how we deal with "things" as well, and i found that really helpful. If I were to summarize, decluttering to any degree is about removing the barriers that prevent it. Some are psychological, and some are physical, time/process, money related. All of it takes time to accomplish, and this program really breaks it down on how to get there if you have a goal.

In the case of your bathroom, you know something is wrong, but you may not know where/how to start and also may not want to ask for help, or know who you'd be comfortable asking to help. You're thinking about it, and that's a good start. If you place a barriers in your way from attaining your goal LIKE; Guitars must be sold before toilet can be accessed ; and you value your guitars more highly than the inconvenience of using another toilet elsewhere, then you've already stopped the conversation within yourself. I know this may seem obvious, but it bares reflecting upon. Guitars (or anything) all have individual barriers to being sold in the first place (steps that must be taken). If you were intent on selling them, that could be a reasonable goal, but since the toilet is the primary goal, moving the guitars might be a better option. Of course, moving stuff from one room to another doesn't necessarily help in the short-run, but the satisfaction of reaching a goal can carry on to creating and completing another. I have found, it is often necessary to make a mess, in order to clean up one.

nomadh, despiadado, Manodano and 2 others like this.
  12. stevebway

I DO want a Taylor GS mini with a Spruce top and Walnut back and sides if one of you guys have an extra you want to get rid of .

There's so much to process in the above. I will take it on SLOWLY after a snack, a nap and a good dump if anyone will open their door to me...

jimytheassassin likes this.
  13. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Get what gear I can...

Not worry about the gear I can't get...

14. jimytheassassin

Hey man, it's a process and it's all possible at any speed you choose. If you want a casual nudge or support to continue, you've got us here. Otherwise, it's a no judgement zone. We all have challenges to work on, even the lady in the videos who looks like she's got it all together. (y)

stevebway likes this.
  15. stevebway

As we have found there is always tangible and practical support of ALL kinds from the "community". At a time when much support seems to be fading away, we have created a system that is good humored and well intended.
    This is why we come here. I find it life affirming as well as entertaining.
    Thanks...

despiadado and jimytheassassin like this.
  16. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

downsize and generally declutter

which is very difficult at this point, because i really love the gear i have

but when it comes down to it, there's probably at least 2 guitars, 1 amp and several pedals i could and should sell right now

i just don't have the space, money, or time to be a "collector" at this time in my life

it's taking me a while to get comfortable enough with the idea, but i think i'm close

nomadh and Mossman like this.
  17. Moogster66

Moogster66 Well-Known Member

Simple...NOT TO BUY ANY MORE!!!

despiadado and Mossman like this.
  18. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Thin the Agile herd.....

davewrites and pirate19 like this.
  19. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Thin the herd. If I could sell a guitar a month next year, that would be awesome. Then I wouldn't feel bad about buying a guitar a month next year.

20. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Finish all my unfinished projects or sell what I don't want to.

Obviously play more, but with a more obvious plan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cornfed and Mossman like this.