Old Friend Is Back, Better Than Ever

Discussion in 'Amps' started by andrewsrea, Apr 20, 2017.

1. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I had a thread that an AGF member helped me realize that my JBL D130F had a D141 cone (which is much thicker paper with a different design). Just received it back from Weber Speakers who are the kings of vintage speakers in my book. I might get around to recording some clips on the weekend. Until then...

First impression is - this is how a '64 Vibroverb is supposed to sound. Does not get much better.

Way louder. Weber de-magnetizes speakers when they recone (to keep metal particles out of the uber-thin JBL gap). Also, the cone is much less mass and they use flat wire like the original. Stronger magnet and less mass = way more volume per watt. Like ear hurting at 6.

Still a little tight and stiff. When the family isn't home, I'll spend a few hours on 8 with my LP. The combo of the aluminum dome and Weber beam-blocker is a fantastic combo.

Before pic:

JBL D130F w 141 cone.jpg JBL D130F Recone.jpg

After Pics: JBL D130F Recone Front.JPG JBL D130F Back of Amp.jpg 1964 Vibroverb W D130.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    toomanycats, Lamf77 and adad like this.
  2. devdem

devdem Well-Known Member

Nicely done. I have a 15 inch from the 50's I need to have reconed. I need to just got on the ball.

andrewsrea likes this.
  3. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I've personally reconed Electrovoices, Pyles, Celestions and Utahs. I won't touch JBL from this series. Even though they widened the gap from their Hifi version for Fender, it is still the tiniest I've ever seen. No room for error.

I have a EV-12L in my AMI Lil Giant that I reconed that sounds fantastic. You could drive a truck through that coil gap.

I used to chat with Ted Sr. once in a while and I trust Weber, so they were the only choice for my JBL.

4. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

No doubt, Ted Weber Speakers is a class act.

andrewsrea likes this.
  5. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I love a 15. Congrats on getting that baby up to spec.

andrewsrea likes this.