NGD Picked Up A Couple With Some Nice Supprises!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jjegg, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM.

1. jjegg

jjegg Well-Known Member

I'm at the point of 43 guitars hanging around and the ones I have I like them all with the exception of a few I have got just to flip. But I have always wanted to get the guitars I had started out with when I was young. The 2nd guitar my parents bought me in the late 70's was a Black copy Les Paul, it had no name on the headstock and belonged to a membet of the band "The Godz" ( The Godz , Gotta keep a runnin) any way it was a bolt on import but I likes it. I saved some money and bought a Dimarzio SD and put it in the bridge and I was the envy of our garage band. Anyway I came upon a post on Facebook of guy wanting to sell some guitars he inherited. He had a black Lotus LP that reminded me so much of it as well had a double creme pickup in the bridge. I set up a meeting and he said he had a couple of other guitars he didnt list and would bring them for me to look at.
    I met up with him and ended upo buying the lotus and a Hondo version of "the Paul" H735ML it had a double creme in the neck position. Total haggered price for both guitars was $120..
    Got the guitars home and took the pickups out to see if they had markings on the back as I had my hopeds up that they were SD pickups , and to my liking they both were Dimarzio Super Distortions and the bridge on the Hondo was a black but a Dimarzio as well! I took a quick pic of the Lotus and a pic of the neck pickup of the Hondo. I'll get a pic of the hondo later but Im very happy. Plans are to pull the 2 double creme SD's and put them in my Gibson Les Paul studio. I dont have a idea what the black Dimarzio is but it sounds good I'm going to put it in the bridge of the Lotus and a jazz in the neck. Not only did I get a good guitar that I wanted from my childhood but the Hondo is a good keeper as well and the huge bouns was the 3 Dimarzio pickups! On with the pics. Tell me what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    STACKS, Mark W, toomanycats and 5 others like this.
  2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

How can that be wrong? Congrats!!

PsychoCid likes this.
  3. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

HUGD !!
    need moar better pics of gits!!

manco53 likes this.

4. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

That lotus is rad. Is it a bolt on neck??

5. jjegg

jjegg Well-Known Member

Yes it is, same as the one I had when I was younger. I try to not get to wrapped up in the bolt on to set neck thing anymore as all my Fenders are bolt on. I dont think that if I had a set neck strat I could tell the difference.

manco53 likes this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

It's always nice when you buy an inexpensive guitar and it has premium pickups. You scored with this deal X3!

I bought one of The Godz records not too long ago. Good straight up rock and roll that somewhat reminded me of KISS.

So what ever happened to the black Les Paul copy you had as kid? I love stories like that but find it just as interesting to know the fates of these guitars. Pete Townsended it? Traded it up? Little brother sold it to a pawn shop? Do tell! :)

PsychoCid likes this.
  7. jjegg

jjegg Well-Known Member

I traded it for a Kramer and some money to boot. It was a nice setup I had the Lp with the Dimarzio SD and a 1965 Blackface Fender Tremolux ,a EH LPB and a Bigmuff I didnt have the Tremolux cab I had a home brew cab with 2 Celestions 12 inch. It was nice with the Kramer as well.
    I was always wondering why the guitar had no name on the headstock then found out later that The Godz guitarist always did this on their guitars , maybe to play copies? dont know. The lead guitarist Mark Chatfield started the company Cowtown guitars here in Columbus and eventually sold it to the guy that moved Cowtown guitars to Vegas and that guy you see on Pawnstars that comes in to evaluate guitars on the show.
    Anyway its not a great guitar by no means but I like it for the memories. It takes me back to that garage that we would play in and remember all the neighborhood kids would come over and hang out and listen. My friend Mike and I played guitar and we had a drummer but no bass player. Mike passed away about 2 years ago from a fall to his basement, I placed a pick in his casket at the funeral. We grew up together from the time we were 5 years old riding tricycles until we were old enough to move away from home. Good memories.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:25 PM