Played The Katana 50 And Blues Cube Boss Drive Side By Side

Discussion in 'Amps' started by nrussell23, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:30 PM.

1. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

Went in to the local GC to kill time and they had these two setup right next to each other so I grabbed the only two correct handed guitars in the entire store (Squire strat and MIM tele) and played them both back and forth for almost 45 minutes.

Store was empty so it was a pleasant surprise to be able to hear them clearly.

The verdict?

The Blues Cube is only a single channel amp. That said, it does clean and slightly dirty cleans WAY better than the Katana. Worth more than double the price at $499 vs. $199 for the Katana from AMS new? Maybe. That’s up to personal preference I think. I have the Katana head and now I’m strongly considering the Blues Cube. That should tell you just how good I think it sounds.

It sounds REALLY good clean. I mean just as nice as the Blues Jr and Blues Deluxe on the other side of it.

The Katana is a million times more versatile, and way cheaper.

If money is no option and you want a friggin fantastic sounding clean/Blues/slightly dirty amp, the Cube is the clear winner.

If you want versatile and a lot more money left in your pocket? The Katana wins.

(The $349 tag is for the Katana 100 that was on the shelf above. The 50 was marked at $219)

FD509C75-B95F-4F5C-8B1B-AB8D991C9D7A.jpeg

2. nrussell23

3. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You NEED both...want?

4. nrussell23

I’m really close to getting the Cube. Not from GC though. Not paying full price plus tax for a used demo amp (they NEVER have anymore “in the back”)

But got damn that thing sounded good! Has to be 3 or 4 tubes hidden in it somewhere.

needhelp likes this.
  5. JAMES SCHAFFNER

JAMES SCHAFFNER Well-Known Member

I've got the blues cube artist. It's a fantastic amp all around. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when playing through it at all.

needhelp and nrussell23 like this.
  6. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Coming Up ... NAD

needhelp likes this.
  7. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

I had the 30-watt Hot. It was plenty loud for the four gigs that I played - and one was outside. The attenuation knob was vital for practicing at home.

It takes pedals like a dream and the volume and master controls worked well together. Crystal cleans to sweet, overdriven roars.

Tube sound/feel vs. solid state? Couldn't tell a difference. I only sold mine because the music store took it as a trade for my dream amp (not straight up, of course). I like my Princeton Reverb but the Hot was much more versatile. It's reverb is a unique flavor. As to good or bad, I can't really say. It's just different.

They now have British flavors as well.

This is a good, all-around workhorse amp that you don't have to wear cotton gloves with.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:01 AM
    nrussell23 likes this.
  8. nrussell23

Yup. This one is supposed to be based on a JTM45 with KT66 tubes. Dunno why it’s called the “Boss Drive Hot”. My mind immediately thought Boss effects were built in or something so to me that’s a poor choice of names to give it.

9. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight on those 2 amps, Nick.

nrussell23 likes this.