Since I found myself home alone on Christmas, I thought it would be a good day to get cracking on the Furrian, before the other two Teles I ordered come in (my avarice for Telecasters has been shameless lately! ). I’ve had a set of Epiphone Pro P90s that @tobijohn sent me a while back to try out, and I got some 330K pots and a 4-way switch, but before I could install any of that, I had to deal with the bridge saddles and the badly mangled nut first. I ordered a bridge from Guitar Fetish, but the mounting screw holes didn’t line up right. No matter, I bought the bridge just for the saddles, anyway (was cheaper than buying the saddles individually). Nothing exciting, just bent metal saddles. Then it was on to the nut... This has to be worst cut nut I’ve ever seen! Not only were the slots too shallow, but they were cut on an angle! Can you say... Tuning issues? Removing the stock nut was all about a bitch. It was cemented into the slot with a large amount of glue. After trying everything I could think of to tap the nut out of the slot (without damaging the surrounding wood), I got my fret-slotting saw out and cut that mother down the middle (lengthwise). Then, using a small, flathead screwdriver as a chisel (the head of the screwdriver fit the width of the slot perfectly), I proceeded to knock all the pieces of the nut out of the slot. There was a a big glob of glue left in the bottom of the slot but I managed to sand most of it out, so the new nut sits flush. The nut on the Furrian was just a little thicker (front to back) than Fender spec, because the slot was a little too big for the NuBone nut that I took out of a licensed Allparts Tele neck. I had to glue a shim of veneer to the back of the nut in order to fill the gap. Also, the nut was way too tall. I’m guessing the nut slot on the Furrian neck is shallower, because the nut looked alright on the Allparts neck. This meant I would have to sand some material off the bottom of the nut. Quite a lot of material, actually... And on a angle, too, because the treble side of the nut was impossibly high. I was a little nervous about doing this, because it was difficult keeping the bottom of the nut flat and level. All I could do was eye-ball it, and sand off material incrementally, fitting it in the slot frequently to gauge progress. Once it looked right to me, I dry-fit the nut with the strip of veneer in the slot (it was a pretty tight fit), and strung her up to check the nut slots. You can see the veneer on the back of the nut in this shot. I couldn’t have asked for better results. The low and high E strings were both at the perfect hieght, but the rest of the slots needed to be cut just a smidge deeper. I fucked up and cut the G and B string slots too deep, and got to try the baking soda and super glue trick (it works!) to fill the slots and re-cut them. After all the slot depths were to my satisfaction, I trimmed the excess veneer off the back of the nut with an X-acto knife, tuned her up and plugged her in to make sure everything sounded/felt ok. I did a lot of tweaking of the saddle hieghts and neck relief until I was close to satisfied. It still needed a little more adjustment, but I wanted it to sit overnight, and let everything ‘settle in’. The neck had been without string tension for a few weeks and some back-bow had developed. Whenever I have to pull the neck in the opposite direction, I like to give it some time to let it stabilize. I also put 10s on this one, replacing the 9s that came on it. I also installed the new, black pickguard, made by our own @rmfroyd. Looks great and fits perfectly! I just realized, I haven’t taken the plastic off yet! Next comes the great P90 shootout. I got reacquainted with the sound of the stock pickups, and I don’t know... They do sound good! The Epis will have to be pretty special to beat these. After I decide which pickups I’m gonna go with, I’ll order the chrome covers. Oh yeah, and I never did glue that nut in. I think it’ll be alright, though. And it’s official... That there is a 1-11/16” nut... Contrary to Rondo specs.