Sad News

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by tonebender, Jan 11, 2018 at 8:53 AM.

1. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

2. Pratteman

Pratteman Well-Known Member

I saw that. I would have thought it would've been sooner with him. I wonder if this was the defining reason he was going to stop touring? Sad.

tonebender likes this.
  3. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

None of us will escape father time.

AxeGlove and tonebender like this.

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
  5. devdem

devdem Well-Known Member

Somehow I think we'll continue to see him for a while. He's still got chops and can perform. I've enjoyed his last several albums, though less rock'ish than in his younger days.

tonebender likes this.
  6. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Bummer. I've got tinnitus and hearing loss myself so i understand how he feels. I'm sure it's much worse at his age and after what he's been through on stage all those years.

He's definitely the consummate guitar man though, a living legend.

7. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

My father is a retired professional musician. He had to stop working/playing abruptly a couple of years ago due to health.

He told me recently that he’d had a dream where he could still play like he used to. That both touched and broke my heart. I can imagine how happy he must have felt during that dream, yet how painful it would be to wake and realize it’s just a dream.

This article affects me similarly. There are many aspects of being a musician that matter to me (the friends, the GAS, this forum, etc.) but NOTHING means more to me than the pleasure I get when I’m in the zone, playing well and feeling like I’m one with my instrument.

It’s important to never take that for granted.

On the brighter side...
    I’m in my early 40s. At this point in my life my hairline and T levels are receding while my waistline is expanding. There are lots of things that I’ll never be able to do like I could when I was younger.

But, man, I can play. And I keep getting better. There are many parts of life where we peak in our teens, 20s or 30s. But musicianship typically can continue to improve well into later life.

So rather than lament the faculties that are diminishing, let’s all take a moment to appreciate what we have left in the tank, even if you’re just running on fumes.

needhelp, fullonshred, DonM and 9 others like this.
  8. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

Can confirm tinnitus sux.
    I hear a tone around 11700 kHz ALL THE F&^&*%%$^ TIME

AxeGlove and tonebender like this.
  9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me to although I'm not sure what kHz im hearing. I blame Jimmy Hendrix and my 45 acp.

fullonshred and tonebender like this.
  10. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Not to say that the amps didn't do him in, but talking as a 65 year old.....but after 60 years old
    lots of thing don't work as well as they used to. He is 72 so hearing could just be going out...

tonebender likes this.
  11. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

He's 72. Duh. If I can still hear at all at 72, I will be glad.

tonebender likes this.
  12. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

fullonshred and tonebender like this.
  13. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Played in LOUD bands. Was a crew chief on a C-130. Have had tinnitus since forever. Progressive hearing loss for quite a few years. My playing abilities have not diminished as they never were fully achieved. I still play like crap. But I just don't hear it as well.

14. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Some of my hearing is going thanks to superior canal dehiscence in both ears, which means I have holes in my ear canals that aren't the ones that let sound into my ears. I checked into surgery, but my case isn't bad enough for that yet. Of course, to perform the fix THEY HAVE TO REMOVE A PORTION OF YOUR SKULL, which seems a bit like overkill to me.

They do put it back though.

15. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

16. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Protect your hearing folks...I’m amazed at the amount of people I see front row at metal concerts with 0 ear protection. Same goes for the people who listen to music in headphones with the volume on 20 out of 10. Some dude yesterday on the train, I could hear every lyric of the song he was listening to and he was on the opposite side of the train.

needhelp and tonebender like this.
  17. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Also in the same lot, here
    Going to see an throat-and-ear guy soon, first to make sure the large mechanicals are where they are.

Then it's hearing aid time.
    I recently was at a former neighbor's kitchen table listening to the lady of the house, sideways: catching only 1/10 of what she said. I have a very sight handicap being an ESL guy - doing a tad better with my native French.

Love close-captioning, and the better Sennheizers 'phones.

Bitch part is, as I understand it to make hearing aids work, you have to wear them all the time. What about loud music, self, or spectating?
    I was also hopping the tech was more advanced, compared to what else is around with sound manipulation (high-end audio, telecom, etc.) I am not sure the good stuff is available to the average Joe (?)

EDIT to add: I am not complaining much, as it will be 15 years this March that I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, at a pretty high level. Yeah for modern medicine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    STACKS, AxeGlove and tonebender like this.
  18. raystankewitz

raystankewitz Active Member

Played bass in loud bands, auto and truck manufacturing plants, BIG caliber revolvers and F-4D Phantom II radars. To some extent, server rooms or big electrical rooms where my master clock or fire alarm systems live.

Nothing like a F-4 Phantom IFF antenna check of that one antenna that is right in front of the tail hook pivot. Aircraft chained to the ramp, both J79-15's in full afterburn, laying under the jet just scant inches from the exhaust cones and all the the thermic mayhem going on, tapping on the panels around the antenna with a rubber mallet. My head would ring for days afterward. I was the FNG at the time so I was the two-striper pegged for that particular duty.

Oddly enough, the noise I hear is right around the same frequency as an idling J79. It's not constant, either. Kind of fades in and out, but never gone completely. Some days, I go damn near bugnuts from the racket. Like today.

19. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

Post of the Millenium. here on AGF...at least. :)

Mr. Leyvatone and tonebender like this.
  20. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

No matter the cause it is just sad to see so many of those that were/are our inspiration either passing or becoming too old, diseased, or disabled to perform. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer I know the realities.

I have never worn ear protection on stage but a drummer I played with for a couple of years did. Didn't seem to affect his musicanship and I am sure it was helping protect him from damage. I always was a proponent of keeping it quiet as possible on stage and mic'ing the sound to necessary levels out front with the PA, even in small venues. That was always a battle with drummers that want to hit hard. One would think electronic drums would be the answer to that but I found over the years the guys that hit hard coincidentally did not like to gig with e-drums. We used them in the practice space and kept things are responsible levels. Hit them as hard as you like, I'll just turn your ass down. LOL

All kidding aside, protect your hearing folks.

needhelp, OMB and Mr. Leyvatone like this.