Some Are Born To Sweet Delight

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by Tyrannocaster, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM.

1. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

By my standards, this tune is gorgeous, and I know you guys realize I am modest. :) But hold on, it really is special. Of all the songs I have posted here, this is the only one that could be called religious, and I had that feeling at the time I wrote it (around Christmas), as well as when I recorded it (over the last three days).

I will give you more info in the bump.

But if you only listen to one Tyrannocaster tune, this should be it.

2. Tyrannocaster

That is a song done with my two cream guitars - my new Esquire partscaster and my old faithful (GREAT) ‘94 Strat Special. Here they are together:

CreamGuitars797.jpg

That is my partscaster Esquire with a GFS Vintage Neovin pup in the bridge, and my incredible, dependable, '94 Strat Special with a Dimarzio SD in the bridge. THAT guitar does not go out of tune easily, unlike some I have. Fabulous instrument, bought new - one which I have not talked about enough. Its name is Pumpkinhead.

Where do I start...Let’s start with William Blake, because he was the direct inspiration for the sentiment behind the tune. Some of you have seen Dead Man, Jarmusch’s great film about a man who is misidentified with the English poet Blake; as someone with Native American connections, I appreciate that film immensely. Anyway, virtually all of you know the line about “Some are born to sweet delight”, but there is a darker flipside included: some are born to endless night. I was aware of that the whole time I wrote and recorded this. I sang along with the chorus every single time. (Note: it’s a good technique for memorizing melodies - put words to them.)

This song (unlike my recent Over, Under, Sideways, Down) is completely mine. But I planned this for something that would work in church, and it should be good no matter what denomination, because I am not going to even get into that - people are people, okay? I just drew on my experience with the Black congregations, and I can tell you, it came through. But on the forum, we don’t talk about politics or religion, so end of story.

That said, I was really thinking of Pop Staples when I wrote this. But still, the ghost of Ry Cooder crept in, and Jeff Beck, too. I can’t help it. There are moments in this thing (and I have heard it so many times, you wouldn’t believe it) that I just want to dance: about 3:20 into it, for example.

The main riff is is the most sinuous guitar part I ever wrote, hands down. Try it, and see.

Tech crap: Marshall 18 watt for every single bit. The Esquire did all the Curtis Mayfield stuff (with the Leslie) and the Strat did the bendy things.

I am so happy with this tune that I just don’t give a shit what the tonehounds think. Music is what I am here for, not pictures of guitars (although I certainly appreciate them, too), but the guitars serve a larger purpose - MUSIC.

Enjoy.

PS: note how satisfying the natural fadeouts of the tube amp chords are. NO COMPRESSION was used at all in this recording.

I hope I haven’t left anything important out. I guess that's what comments are for.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    Niko Souza likes this.
  3. Tyrannocaster

Oh, yeah -

A rephrasing, but it works for me:

Every Morn and every Night
    Some are Born to sweet delight.
    Some are Born to sweet delight,
    Some are Born to Endless Night.
    Every Night and every Morn
    Some to Misery are Born.
    Every Morn and every Night
    Some are Born to sweet delight.

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention - I quoted Micky Baker's Love Is Strange right at the end. Can you tell?

4. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

I really like that @Tyrannocaster. Such a laid-back groove. What are you using for the Leslie effect?

Tyrannocaster likes this.
  5. Tyrannocaster

27 views and 3 listens. At least River Dog managed to comment. Cripes guys, don't let William Blake scare you away.

RD, it's a great VST plugin called the Akai Rotator. I used a Leslie 147 on stage for years, and I like this plugin. However, it seems like it is no longer available. :-(

RiverDog likes this.
  6. RiverDog

I don't think I've seen that movie but I think it's cool that you were inspired enough to write a song. Thanks for sharing!

7. RiverDog

Oh and I love the guitars (y)

8. Tyrannocaster

Well, it was William Blake before the movie, but it really is a good film, with an interesting Johnny Depp character (William Blake!) and a very nice distorted guitar soundtrack by Neil Young.

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I like the riff, I'll bet it's tricky, I can visualize how you play it, but I doubt I could. Up until after 3 min. it kind of goes nowhere for me, (as an instrumental - if there were vocals, different story maybe). The changing percussion doesn't do enough to keep me really engaged, but the I love all the tones. Maybe some long sustained bass tones might help here, or some kind of subtle synth pad?

But, there was plenty for me to chew on after 3 minutes, and I listened with much more delight, it was a feast for the ears to the end

Tyrannocaster and needhelp like this.
  10. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Cool dude, it came out damn well and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know what I've done to receive an indirect mention and bullying from you in yet a 5th thread, but if that's what love is in your religion, then I decide to still appreciate you for who you are. You still deserve to be loved.

Best,
    Ian

11. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Well-Known Member

Wow, great song! It's nice to hear a different take on a melodic instrumental, nice blend of the traditional and the bleeding edge. I really liked the melody and enjoyed following the harmonies. I do agree that you made us wait too long for the money part of the tune but it was nice when it came although I missed a bass there. I can't help but wonder how that song would have sounded with a glassy clean tone. :) Really enjoyed it!

12. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

That was a really cool song. Very flowing. When I post music I appreciate constructive criticism. This is definitely a sign of our times - and something that makes your song unique - but I kept waiting for a beat to come in. The ending (starting around 3:30) was really cool.

Strong work!

13. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Very nice. One of the few times I have listened to a tune posted here in its entirety. I can imagine some Rod Stewart vocals back from his very early days with it. But it’s great on its own. Going have a second listen. The Leslie effect brings back fond memories.

14. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

I really like it. To be honest I think it would sound better a little cleaner - less distortion on the rhythm guitar- but the riff and the tune are great. The last section is particularly well done. The title and theme are really good too. Very good work! And I also dig Blake so that's cool.

15. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Listening right now. Sounds really good man. Over my laptop speakers it was a bit too driven but when I put on the headphones it came through a lot better. It's slinky. Very cool!

16. Tyrannocaster

Great comments. I didn't put a bass in because a) it isn't needed harmonically and b) it would have obscured the bass drum stuff, which is super important but which of course you can't hear without phones or a good system. Most of the distortion on the Esquire is coming from the Leslie; it was recorded pretty clean (that guitar doesn't push an amp very hard - the GFS Pure Vintage pickup sounds very good, but output is comparatively low). Anyway, it just sounded a lot better to me through the Leslie.

I totally agree that vocals would have added a ton of interest, but not *my* vocals. :) I like the song too much to do that to it.

Thanks to all of you who listened and commented.