Streaming Services

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Pratteman, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Pratteman

Pratteman Well-Known Member

We finally upgraded our internet at home, it's still not great but better. We live out in the country, so satellite is the only option. I was told by the service tech, we could use a streaming service to some extent and I was wondering which would be best? I don't have have any outside accounts (Amazon Prime) yet at least. I was looking at Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc.

Thoughts...recommendations?

2. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Streaming service or streaming device? The three you listed are devices that can stream a number of different services. I have all three, mostly older versions at this point though.

The Fire stick and Roku are standalone devices whereas the Chromecast needs you to "cast" content to it from a phone/computer/tablet which has its advantages but is annoying. The Amazon Fire Stick makes it easy to stream content included with your Amazon Prime account but you can install the Amazon Video app on the Roku. They both can stream youtube, Netflix, Plex, etc. through the apps.

I wouldn't get the Chromecast again. Maybe others can chime in on the advantages of the fire stick vs roku but I would just get whichever was cheaper of the two.

3. Pratteman

I guess it would be a steaming device then. Which one has the most free content? I might end up getting a Prime account anyway since the kids are always watching movies anyway.

4. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

Ive got a roku, but honestly since I bought my $35 blu ray, its not even hooked up anymore

Like I posted elksewhere, it has amazon. hulu, Netflix, youtube and several others Ive never heard of in the firmware.

only thing I would add if I wanted to pay another $10 bill is pureflix

otherwise if you don't HAVE a blu ray, or you didn't pay a yon of cash for yours, look for on3 that has the sw

This is the one I have:

I bought it at HH Gregg for $35 new, never had any issues

the ONLY thing I don't like (ok 2 things)

1) the EJECT button is not easy to find on the device
    2) until your screen is connected (see my HDMI question/issues) its hard to tell if the power is on (the led isn't very obvious)

J

5. mindwave

6. mindwave

ok that's weird. there is a link in those last 2 messages, but it looks like my office firewall is blocking it, hopefully you guys can see it

7. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i have an amazon prime membership and have been happy with the firestick. we mainly use it for netflix, amazon video and youtube. cheap, easy to set up and operate

Pratteman likes this.
  8. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

I've been using Roku for some time now. Big fan. Sometime soon I want to grab one of the newest models.

9. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I have Prime for shipping. It's offerings are limited, but it's not bad as a value-added option for using other Amazon services.

10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    I started using Rokus when they first launched. Ended up with a couple of the Roku 2's which were fine but then bought Fire Sticks and the Rokus haven't been used in a couple of years (I'm up to 4 Fire Sticks around the house now). I get stuff from Prime although my big use for the Sticks is Kodi.

11. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

Nope. I get blank space in them.

12. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I have a Fire stick, and it's OK. It helps to have a Prime account. Makes more content available. I also have Kodi installed on it for more streaming options.

I got rid of cable TV a couple of months ago, so that's all I've been using for television viewing. I'm not much of a TV watcher (I've gone years without even owning one) so my needs are more easily satisfied. I have been thinking about getting a digital antenna, though, for local broadcasting.

BTW, @zisme, I got a notification that as of 1/1/18 YouTube will no longer be available on the Fire stick.

13. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

Damn. That's some BS
    Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  14. Pratteman

What's the added value with Kodi installed on it? More viewing options? I put Kodi on my laptop, but it just seems to bloated to be really useful (i'm probably not using it right).

15. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

Kodi on its own is simply a media player application which you can supplement with third party add-on applications. It's most prominently used now in conjunction with add-ons that stream copyrighted content for free (movies, shows, tv live streams, etc.), i.e. piracy.

The creators of these third party apps are heavily embattled with the major content providers, and many are being shut down

there is a greater learning curve using kodi in this way, as it is somewhat cumbersome and unstable for that application (particularly on a fire stick). it also requires frequent updating. and of course you run the risk of DMCA complaints and sanctions from your service provider. there are many installation tutorials online

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    Yeah, Kodi runs best when you know what you're doing and can put your own stuff on there. I've been running it on Fire Sticks since the Sticks first came out, but as @zisme says above, there's a lot of updating and sources going down to contend with.

17. Dallas

Dallas Well-Known Member

I dropped satellite back in January. There are certain shows the wife wants to see so I signed up with Directv Now when they had their 100 plus channel deal for $35 a month. I've also tried Sling and both work well and there are a number of smaller "gray market" sites out there if you're willing to look and want to go that route.
    Both the Roku and the Fire work well and are reasonably priced but there are other options out their like the Mi Box (WalMart). All of them do pretty much the same thing. The important part is that I cut our tv bill from $120 a month for satellite to $35 for the streaming service.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  18. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

It's a little more expensive but I like the Apple TV. I also own a FireStick and, while I love Amazon Prime, the Fire Stick leaves something to be desired due to the lack of much onboard memory (admittedly, mine is one of the first ones.) What has really raised the Apple TV's value is that now, you can get the Amazon Prime app on it. So now, with the Apple TV, you can watch (and listen) your iTunes content, Amazon Prime content, Netflix, YouTube, Sling, MLBTV, Hulu, TEDTv and nearly every other major channel's content by just downloading the app.

People accuse me of being an Apple FanBoy but, in this case, they do tv right. And it's 4k ready as well, if that's important to you.

Another option is to keep an eye on sling.com. They often run a deal where they will send you a free Roku box if you sign up for two months of Sling.

19. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For free content, roku does have the Roku app/channel that gives free movies, with commercials.

Wow, just looked this up. Its coming from Google blocking the fire devices due to the fight they have with Amazon. Bad idea I think on Google as I'm sure a good number of Amazon fire customers are also Google customers.

Mossman likes this.
  20. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

We use 2 baseline roku devices and they work fine...if I were to buy devices again I would probably go with a roku stick ad it's one less thing on the tv shelf. We use(d) netflix, amazon, hulu plus and hbo now. The all have pros and cons..my favorites are netflix and hbo now.