Suddenly, I'm Well-hung! >> Guitar Strap Reviews <<

Discussion in 'tvvoodoo's Hangout' started by tvvoodoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

There are a bunch of Well-Hung / STRAP ATTACK straps out there among AGF members
    by now, dozens and dozens. This thread is specifically for local reviews of my work.

If you enjoy your TVvoodoo Well-Hung Custom Guitar Strap, this would be an excellent thread to post your thoughts on what you got. Understand no two straps I make will be exactly alike, by design. Some may be similar. Most will follow a continually evolving (improving, I think) build process.

Not mandatory, but ratings out of five in these categories might prove interesting:

1. Comfort/Weight
    2 Security/Strength
    3 Tone, Looks and Intangibles. :grin:
    4 Value
    5 Vendor

Please take a minute if you could to share, thanks. Also, a pic or vid of your new strap on your axe will also be most righteous, and much appreciated.

I also have a review thread on Reverb at:https://reverb.com/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories/feedback - and I believe for the most part they are true and relatively unbiased

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie Well-Known Member

RE: TVvoodoo Attacked me with a Strap!

5/5 in all categories. I can't say enough about how awesome this strap is. If I ever wanted another custom strap I would try to contract it through the voodoo mon. I'm on the iPad so I can't post pics, but I recently did a new strap day thread with pics and a more thorough review. Perhaps someone could help me out with a link? Or I'll edit this post when I get on my PC and add the link.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  3. crankpusher

crankpusher Active Member

Even though mine I believe was one of the very early ones I will chime in .
    My Dauntless is the heaviest fiddle I own for sure ( weighing in over 10 lbs)
    and it was really hurting my shoulder to play after some time. Because of this, I either sat down and eventually stopped playing it for a while. When I saw the Cow Hide strap I really dug it and thought it would look great with my guitar. The 3 inch width helped with the weight an d the padding with the comfort.

As for the 5 points asked about,

1 - Very comfortable and has allowed me to pick this guitar back up and play standing as long as I like.

2 - I have no issue or even second thought taking my hands off my guitar and let the heavy beast hang around my neck by the strap, hell I will even rest my arms on it.

3 - It is Cow Hide, how could it not look kewl. As for Tone, I never imagined a wonderful custom made strap could bring out such lush and savory tones from this previous dull sounding guitar :)

4 - Value - Way more then I paid for it. Easily valued at 50 or more

5 - TvVooDoo was great to deal with, shipped fast and on time and kept me informed the entire time. Not only that, but if I recall right, he even worked late one night to finish it up for me. Thanx again

151baff31db5d59ef6f2ee65f8c635dd.jpg

As I said, I know this is one of the first ones that were made and I know his skills have only improved. ( not that they were bad before)

I recommend these straps to anyone looking for something unique and something NO one else has

fullonshred and tvvoodoo like this.

4. tvvoodoo

Jebuz Crank, that's from back in the day :grin: a prototype! totally forgot about that one.
    Crap. Now I'm back to work. Thanks fellas. :thumbup:

5. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

Here you go:
    longblacktie's shock & awe strap review

EDIT: That color strap looks sexy on top of that natural guitar. :thumbup:

LongBlackTie and tvvoodoo like this.
  6. LargeIcedCoffee

LargeIcedCoffee Well-Known Member

I can say 5/5 in all aspects. I'll have to hook you up with a picture of mine actually on a guitar at a later date.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  7. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sofa King review:

Belated, but I've been waiting for some daylight around here, and it's been hard to come by.

dec35ce65fff5579a7453ae5e72a4a36.jpg
    Mmmm...plush by FrankenFretter, on Flickr

First impression: Very cool strap, and quite unique. This strap came with a great story, and apparently the couch material came from a local (local to Brad, not me) brothel. Luckily for me, there aren't any crunchy spots on it. The reverse side, a black paisley material, came from a pair of woman's pants. Could she have been an employee at the brothel? Brad won't say. Let's just say that Charlie Sheen may or may not recognize this strap.

3cbd3ac46ef0dfe5a90eb0426e7e3ce8.jpg
    Stylish and swanky at the same time! by FrankenFretter, on Flickr
    be33a17a483bdaebfb1619bb2a41be6e.jpg
    Why does this smell like hookers? by FrankenFretter, on Flickr

This strap is both stylish and comfortable. I give TV Voodoo's Sofa King strap a big thumbs up! :thumbup:

tvvoodoo and Rick In Pa. like this.
  8. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

The strap is awesome and the story makes it a hundred times moreso!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  9. tvvoodoo

Holy under a flash it totally screams purple, maybe my monitor? It's actually closer to a toned up burgundy in real life. I keep having dreams about the woman that wore those pants. She must have been HUGE!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Just want to add a few comments here from customers who have PM'd me, posted in other threads, etc. Sorry if i didn't get your name on it.

“If these things came polished like they were mass produced somewhere, I don't know if they would hold the same appeal... ... As long as I don't succumb to the guitar-o-whirl, I think they'll last the rest of my guits lives."

" ... I would instantly purchase another & when asked where it was obtained, would happily tell the wonderful skanky-ass story of La Grange's life & where it was obtained.” Idiotsdelight

“I've received my two straps from tvvoodoo, and I'm very impressed. They feel very light and padded--something that really surprised me. They look great, and they look hand-crafted. People pick up on this right away. In all I regard the $50 spent as a real bargain, and I will definitely be a returning customer.” Griffreak

My first custom strap, from a true artiste. A+ service, product, shipping, the whole shebang. Definitely my favorite strap, including most awesome looking as well as most comfortable. If I ever have a need for another custom strap (who am I kidding, GAS will attack again soon) I will definitely hit up TVVoodoo first. 40% better, hell no, this is 50% better. Highly recommended. Longblacktie

I bought Shock & Awek #4 to which he custom added a black crushed velvet pad stuffed with memory foam. The velvet is attached so that it's fibers point toward the front of the guitar when the strap is oriented correctly, this helps prevent the neck from diving toward the floor, at least thats the theory. Does it work, yes it does with the caveat that it tends to pull on whatever shirt you happen to be wearing, which we anticipated would happen. Even with this it has made a huge difference in the enjoyability factor of playing the guitar, not only because it reduces the neck heavy aspect but also because the strap is just so comfortable compared to the other I was using. The guitar, like most LP style is on the heavy side, this strap makes the weight much less a factor due to the padding and how wide it is. He also performed some relicing at no additional charge on it which just adds to the overall flavor.

Overall I'm very happy with the strap, it is extremely comfortable, reduces the neck heavyness of the guitar and just plain has some cool mojo. VooDoo is excellent to do business with!!!
    Wheelman (Ken)

"Dude!!! The strap just arrived and I have to say, you did not dissapoint, it's all that and a bag of chips. Thanks so much man, very, very cool."
    sloopdawg

10. macrocket

macrocket Well-Known Member

It looks purple to me too. That black paisley is too cool and great background story.

11. tvvoodoo

He said it, not me:

"I promised VooDoo I'd post a review of the strap he made me to help with the neck heavy nature of my Agile Dauntless.
    I bought Shock & Awe #4 to which he added a black crushed velvet pad stuffed with memory foam. The velvet is attached so that it's fibers point toward the front of the guitar when the strap is oriented correctly, this helps prevent the neck from diving toward the floor, at least thats the theory.
    Does it work, yes it does with the caveat that it tends to pull on whatever shirt you happen to be wearing, which we anticipated would happen. Even with this it has made a huge difference in the enjoyability factor of playing the guitar, not only because it reduces the neck heavy aspect but also because the strap is just so comfortable compared to the other I was using. The guitar, like most LP style is on the heavy side, this strap makes the weight much less a factor due to the padding and how wide it is. He also performed some relicing at no additional charge on it which just adds to the overall flavor.

Overall I'm very happy with the strap, it is extremely comfortable, reduces the neck heaviness of the guitar and just plain has some cool mojo. VooDoo is excellent to do business with!!!

Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)

Thanks ken, Just want to add I didn't charge him anything extra for the velvet lining, because it was a theory test, and well, that's how I rollz

12. tvvoodoo

Another favourable review. Thanks John. :thumbup:

"I can’t post in the review thread for some ridiculous reason, if that ever gets sorted out I’ll post some pics…So here goes via email.

So today I received a neat box in the mail held together by a crapload of stamps.Held therein was a strap crafted in the northern desolate oil region of Saskatchewan. A one of a kind “The Business” strap had made its way into my life.

I’ve tested out the strap on my Root Beer AL-2000(AKA: Slutty root beer waitress in skates…Yarp, that’s her name, just made it up) and it had no trouble holding up the10 Lb guitar.The material didn’t stretch at all and I found the width very comfortable, the padding inside the strap also helped.
    The vinyl top is very well cut (especially the slits where the backing hooks through)and appears to be much thicker than what I expected, the hooking tabs are made of heavy leather.The tweed bottom was sourced from someone’s pants (more on that later) and actually looks pretty nice and “classy” against the circa 1970’s black vinyl; We’re talking “moustache dirt bag who works in the advertising field, cigarette smoking, skirt chasing, fake wood panels in the basement”kinda Canadian classy.

Ladies and Gents, if you haven’t figured it out yet this is a one of a kind strap. If I wanted a product that was modern and sexual innuendo free I would have gone to etsy.com, and bought a “vegan/vegetarian/bamboo” strap made by a blonde hippie girl with dreadlocks. I like my straps to be made by tough hard working folks in the basements of oil hell Saskatchewan; those people are tough as nails and will take no crap from soft city folk like me.

Visually the strap looks GREAT! You can tell it wasn’t mass produced, some of the stitching veers from the edge just a touch, and the sewing machine curves aren’t perfect (the stiches however are tightly grouped, this is a good thing.) But if you want perfect then go to a guitar shop and pay two or three times as much for a strap of this material (and especially at this width.) But I can guarantee it won’t have the same character, in fact the strap came with a story of where the material was sourced (I won’t bore you with details, but it involved a skirt chasing advertising exec, his pants, a news production assistant and a prank.)

Would I buy from TVvoodoo again? Well yeah, I think we’re gonna work on a custom sometime soon when material complimenting my guitar’s finish comes along. But I’m never letting this one go.

Communication with vendor: 5/5
    Materials: 5/5 (Yeah I know it’s vinyl, but it’s thick stock and doesn’t smell like the low grade stuff)
    Comfort: 5/5 (The tweed is very soft wool and the inside was padded)
    Construction: 5/5 (heavy duty leather mounting tabs, tight machine stitching)
    Value: 5/5 (seriously, shipping is included)
    Sexiness: 5/5 (According to the better-half I am now 10% more sexy as opposed to when I am strap-less and become 15% less sexy)

IndependentMind (John)"

Overplayed the "tough northern oil town guy" thing a bit - :puzzled:- We like to think so, but hell... maybe he's right, a little bit. My 4x4 GMC is coming in real handy during break-up, while I re-stock on a couple weeks more springtime firewood fer the stove.

Hope to see some pics from you once you get your AGF twists sorted out.

13. sloopdawg

sloopdawg Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Just got the strap and must say, you can look but you won't find any better.

1- Very Comfortable, Not Bulky or Heavy at All
    2- Very Well Made, Strong and Secure. I Bounced it Around Just to See
    3- Very, Very Cool, A One of a Kind
    4- Well Worth the Price of Admission, You Can Pay Less but Thats Just What You'll Get. You Most Certaintly Get What You Pay For Here
    5- What More Can I Say, TVVOODOO is the Man, Prompt, Courtious, Informative.
    [​IMG]

225c7269012e81fee905432c02be6a9d.jpg

tvvoodoo likes this.
  14. tvvoodoo

Sloop has joined the Shock & Awe legion, where the drinks are cheap, ('cause shaky hands spill most of them), and tinitus makes it a loud and crazy party every day.

Glad you are happy! >>>4 LEFT ON CLEARANCE<<<

enjoy it Sloop! :thumbup:

15. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I received my "King of the Blues" strap today and couldn't be happier.

1. Comfort/Weight - Unbelievable comfort, the materials, construction and placement of the padding are just right. A nice amount of width along with the padding is just what the Dr. ordered for heavy guitars. The velvet, which I'll use as the inside, keeps my guitar right where I want it without constantly having to re-adjust.

2. Security/Strength - The strap itself will outlast me and since it comes with tvvoodoo's unpateneted strap-locking system, it should be as secure as long as my guitar doesn't get infested by termites.

3. Tone, Looks and Intangibles - Since tone is so subjective, I'll stick to the looks and intangibles. It looks great. The stitching may not be perfectly straight throughout and it may not have designs, tags and logos, but that is the real beauty of this strap. It's a quality handcrafted item made from beautiful materials.

4. Value - You can't get anything like these straps for these prices. A handcrafted leather and velvet strap for $30, are you kidding me?

5. Vendor - Tvvoodoo is great to deal with and the narrative he included with my strap was :thumbup::thumbup:

[​IMG]

idiotsdelight and tvvoodoo like this.
  16. tvvoodoo

^ Thank you Scott, your review was too kind. This was a "March Madness" strap, and he didn't even get the pick of the litter! Still >>> FOUR LEFT <<<

17. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Not posting up a NSD for La Grange has weighed heavily on my mind since I received it too long ago. I could offer up a bunch of lame excuses, none of which would hold any water. I have new guitars that are also sitting here that I wanted to show as well. Stupid me took a V out to shoot a couple pics of, & I didn't even think to grab the strap. It's been raining here for a week +.

If you see anything that tickles your fancy coming out of voodoo's custom shop, I would recommend snagging it. The story accompanying La Grange's origin is worth the price of the strap. Right now I have it on the Agile DC, as it's probably one of the heaviest guitars I own, but that was just to test it out. It is VERY comfortable measuring about 3.5" wide with just enough material for padding. I have it max'd out length wise, but not sure I would go any longer even if I could. The design on the front & color really caught my eye when voodoo 1st let loose the pics. When he announced they were for sale, I didn't hesitate & would/am definitely buying another. I might add that this is the 1st strap I've purchased. All the others are either freebs, hand me downs, or come with the guitar when purchased. I just have never justified paying $X for a strap, until I saw this. To know that they're 1-off, hand made is even a bigger bonus. I'm looking forward to the new batch he's cooking up.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  18. tvvoodoo

I believe Idiotsdelight was the first dude to jump on a strap when I officially opened the emporium in January. Thank you... He sent me this photo of "La Grange" lookin' all sexy on his HAWT:love_at_first: agile DC...
    ef1e1a5511c0002165ad90df264a0275.jpg

Goes great with the tort!:thumbup:

19. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing!

My thinking was if I didn't jump on it quickly, it wasn't going to last. Both "King of" & "Rich Man's Blues" look fantastic. Now that I've looked Caramel Brownie up & down, I realize how beautiful those colors are. Does it come with an 8 Ball?

Straps. hmpff... Never did I think I would be sitting here salivating over a fucking strap? :lol:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  20. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

BOMBS AWAY.

OKAY, brothers. Bombs Away arrived well packaged and in good condition despite the pouring rain that had dampened the box it came in.

It's a hell of a beautiful strap modified to work with my BPG 'Danger' Tele (previously a Valley Arts SMX1). Problem with this fiddle is an undersized, overrouted Tele body with an oversized neck sporting heavy tuners, floyd equipment, and 24 jescar jumbo BASS frets. With any normal strap, this Tele has the tendency to level out. Despite the massive frets and lightweight strings geared toward vertical tapping, the neck wants to sit parallel to the floor as if we were in the 1950s.

In addition to the padding inside the strap, it comes with a generous dose of about a foot of shearling on the underside. Not only does this provide extra cushion for the shoulder, but it actually works to prevent neck dive more than my other, much 'grippier,' strap. Below this, there is a hidden area accessible by velcro that allows storage of a weight pouch to further correct and completely eliminate the neck dive.

The overall feel is quality materials assembled with care. Sturdy, light weight and beautiful to view. The stitching may not be machine straight but that only adds to the mojo.

Guys, do yourself a favor and place an order. Brad is a great guy and an easy communicator. Don't waste your money on cheap straps that can't make a name for themselves -- spend it on something that compliments and adds to the mojo of your instrument.

Cheers!

tvvoodoo likes this.