The Agile 1st Fret Trapezoid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toomanycats, Jun 16, 2017.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I don't recall there ever being a thread about this topic, at least not since I've been here. It's sort of like the proverbial elephant in the room. So lets talk about it.

What do you fellas think about the 1st fret inlay on the Agile AL-3100 and AL-3200?

Do you like it? Hate it? Prefer that it was a block instead of a trapezoid?

Please, share your thoughts about this.

ckbnu2rjv4baz8gmbpz1.jpg

2. Mark W

Mark W Well-Known Member

Imo, it's part of what makes that model what it is. I don't mind it at all.

despiadado, Mickey and toomanycats like this.
  3. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

I would rather be a block, but, it's really not all that big of a deal to me. That said, my buddy goes nuts over it, wanting it gone.

DonM and toomanycats like this.

4. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

they would be strange without, i love it!

toomanycats likes this.
  5. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

TMC, truth be told, until you mentioned it, I didn't even notice that. I guess that means I don't care either way. I have two 3100's and a 3200, you'd think this would have stuck out to me. LOL Nope, not even a little.

toomanycats likes this.
  6. JAMES SCHAFFNER

JAMES SCHAFFNER Well-Known Member

I like it. I think they look weird without it.

toomanycats likes this.
  7. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

This topic has actually been hashed through a few times over the years, I like them myself.

despiadado and toomanycats like this.
  8. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

Passed up on a decently priced 3100 about a month ago largely for that reason (among others). It just doesn't look right to me--if you're gonna have 1st fret inlays, it's gotta be blocks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SKYDAWG, mark_morton and toomanycats like this.
  9. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Hehe. Way back when before Agile carried block inlays, we all used to talk about the funny first fret traps.

I arrived here in 2009 and to the best of my knowledge Agile did not offer block inlays standard until after duplicating my 2012 custom order.

Once they sold a few copies of my makeshift Randy Rhoads Agile Les Paul, block inlays became a regular inventory option as well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    despiadado and toomanycats like this.
  10. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

can't bump for block inlays, but don't care either way as I don't own a 3100 anymore

toomanycats likes this.
  11. Moogster66

Moogster66 Well-Known Member PREMIUM Supporter

I wish they were blocks.

toomanycats likes this.
  12. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

There have been a couple of mentions (threads) that have come up here, though I don't know how long you've been here.
    I don't mind either way, and I'm stunned that there are actually people who find it so consequential that they'd refuse a guitar that had that. Fact is, I have both traps and blocks on the first fret of my Agiles.

This for PsychoCid -- Agile offered blocks well before you got here. Had nothing to do with your guitar. This one is from about 2008-2009, and is mine, and I *love* that guitar. :

b577ff5e3997ab7aaf0599dcacbabef7.jpg

13. PsychoCid

I didn't say they didn't offer. I said they didn't offer standard since 2009.

Yours appears to be a custom. I specified they were not offered on standard stock inventory.

14. toomanycats

Thanks guys, I should have suspected that somewhere along the line the topic had been brought up. I've been here since late 2014.

This discussion about the 1st fret trapezoid implicitly raises some other recurring themes discussed on the forum recently. All these issues seem to dovetail back upon each other. Is an Agile a Les Paul copy? Is an Agile a Les Paul at all? If it is a Les Paul, is it a second rate one, or in fact superior to a Gibson? How important is it to mimic the stylings of Gibson? When is deviation from that template either good are bad, and why? These questions could constitute entire other threads.

For now, lets just assume that most everyone falls into one of two groups regarding the 1st fret trapezoid inlay.

Group 1
    Those who don't like the 1st fret trapezoid. But why? Let's be honest, it's most likely because Gibson doesn't have one. Let's say you'd rather have a block on the 1st fret if there's going to anything there. Again, this is more than likely in deference to the precedent set by Gibson (blocks inlays only on the 1st fret).

Group 2
    Those who like and prefer the 1st fret trapezoid inlay. What I would infer from this is that you're the type of person who has a certain amount of immunity from the gravitas and deep influence of Gibson tradition; you might tend to see the Agile guitar as it's own unique thing, as good by virtue of it's own merits and not needing to be judged in relation to external standards set by big "G".

Of course, these are just crude generalizations, so please forgive me if I've mischaracterized anyone with my neophyte armchair psychologizing.

As far as my own personal opinion goes, there's a mixture of both groups in me. I prefer block inlays on the 1st fret, though only if the body of the guitar is bound front and back, as well as there being multi ply binding on the headstock. Obviously, this is because the Gibson Les Paul Custom wears that dress. However, I do not think of my Agile as second rate Gibson copies. My Agiles are Agiles, and that's that. It's my opinion that the combination of block inlays (1st fret included), double bound body, and multi ply headstock binding look best in combination, regardless of what brand guitar it is on. To push this chain of reasoning to its conclusion, it's my belief that all AL-3100s should have block inlays, double bound bodies, and multi ply binding.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  15. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the 1st fret inlay (non-abaloney) on black beauties only.

16. toomanycats

Oh man . . . . the abalone issue is an entire other can of worms! :ROFLMAO::)

I agree though, a proper Black Beauty needs a 1st fret block inlay. You know what's really weird? A LP Custom with dot inlays. It just don't look right!

fullsizeoutput_31d.jpeg

Mossman likes this.
  17. PsychoCid

Normally I can't stand LP's with dots!! That one looks pretty alright for some reason.

OK now you say you like first fret blocks. So what happens if you get a first fret block and then a series of traps??

7e780621e1760f1f27b241c0e24a61ee.jpg

despiadado, Mossman and toomanycats like this.
  18. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why Gibson left out the trap inlay on the first fret, given that most of their premium guitars from any era have a block or other inlay there. It almost seems like a tooth missing. Perhaps it was to indicate that the Les Paul Standard was only the middle-of-the-price-range guitar. In a similar way, rosewood was the choice of the mid- and bottom-range guitars, while ebony usually indicated a top of the list guitar.

I'm surprised that people haven't objected to the use of real MOP and abalone inlays on Agiles, since the LP Standards traditionally cheaped out with plastic inlays (yeah, I know they've gone to real MOP recently).

In the end, the 3000 series and the 3100 series have always been walking the line between Custom appointments (multi-layer binding on headstock and body, real MOP inlays, ebony fretboards) and what appeared on Standards (plastic inlays, rosewood F/B, single-layer binding, missing inlay on the first fret).

I've grown very comfortable with the Agile aesthetic, including the thalidomide-baby truncated cutaway point (which provides better upper-fret access) and the FGN style headstock, and the last thing I need or care about is slavish devotion to an arbitrary Gibson quirk.

19. watercaster

watercaster Well-Known Member

I got all blocks starting at the first fret on my AD-2800. I think it's from around 2008 or so. It's the only Agile I have with this feature. Never even noticed it before this thread...
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product679.html 20170411_203708.jpg

andrewsrea and Mossman like this.
  20. PsychoCid

There are two things that matter to me about a Les Paul: the headstock shape and the headstock angle

But frankly I finally got a Strat to make Slash-like sounds so basically I don't play LP's anymore.

Thinking about putting a Gib scale neck on my Tele instead.

Mossman likes this.