The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by zisme, Oct 10, 2017.

1. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

just in case anybody missed it

2. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

3. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

I'll be honest - I disliked the Force Awakens so much that I almost just wrote is one off, but the previews have me hopeful. If it's just a rip off of Empire, though...I'm done.

4. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Active Member

I'm a Star Wars nerd, so I can't wait. I agree with @JeffBeck that The Force Awakens wasn't that great, but I am still extremely excited about The Last Jedi. I'm also one of the few people that doesn't mind the prequels, not as good as the original trilogy, but still good to me.

frozensoda, dbrian66 and dabbler like this.
  5. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i base a lot of my feelings toward the force awakens around my experience of seeing it in imax opening night - i.e. a total blast. i was 12 again for 2 and a half hours

but i also definitely agree with how unfortunate the plot rehashing is. it will continue to be detrimental to that film over time.

i enjoyed this trailer, but i feel like it is throwing a lot of misdirects at us :cautious:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    BrianSkeezer likes this.
  6. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I was 12 again when I first sat in the theater on the Fox Studios lot to pre-screen Episode 1 before it was released to the public.

30 minutes in, my childhood was destroyed, and I could never dream of being '12' again because Star Wars was permanently ruined.

By that measure, The Force Awakens was AMAZING because it actually IS a Star Wars movie whereas Episodes 1 and 2 were DEFINITELY NOT ANYTHING RESEMBLING STAR WARS MOVIES.

Episode 3 was pretty decent, I thought.

7. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Now that Disney owns the franchise, they have plans to produce a new Star Wars movie about every year, so there's going to be a whole lot of movies to be disappointed with.

I'll reserve judgement, but I'm with Jeff Beck. If this turns out to be a retelling of 'Empire', the way the last one just regurgitated 'A New Hope', I'm officially done with Star Wars.

8. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I don't want to see any trailers/teasers/etc. For sequels. I just want to know the date it comes out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

needhelp likes this.
  9. PsychoCid

1. Disney is certainly doing a better job than Lucas

2. While I would prefer brand new quality scripts

3. I would rather them re-hash old but proven Star Wars scripts

4. Than to make more shite like episodes 1 and 2, which aren't just bad Star Wars movies but truly bad movies altogether

10. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i WAS 12 when episode 1 came out and again, had an amazing theater experience with it. it is a challenge for me to get through today (though i still like the maul saber duel)

episode 2 was the one where i walked out of the theater scratching my head. it was bad enough to cast a lot of doubt on my hopes for 3. 3 was better..some good moments at least

rogue one was fun

Mossman likes this.
  11. PsychoCid

I guess I was around 14.

The entire crowd was STUPID excited going into the theater. Think about it, the first new Star Wars movie in some 15+ years.

By 30 mins in, half the audience was asleep. I tried to keep myself excited but by maybe 45 mins in, I had given up and realized that Lucas had either gone insane or was intentionally trying to piss off his fans.

Walking out of the theater was a different experience. Everyone was silent as if their favorite uncle had just died. Because basically, that's what had just happened.

12. Mandelorian1138

Mandelorian1138 Well-Known Member

I've decided to avoid all future trailers and spoilers, including the one that came out yesterday. I watched the teaser but that gave away next to nothing in the way of plot.

No point in potentially ruining now what could be experienced fresh in the theater on opening night.

13. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

OK, so I am not the only one that thought ROTS was pretty good (except for when Darth crosses his arms. He doesn't do that in the original trilogy, so why does he do it there? I almost yelled at the screen when I saw that).

Episode 2 had potential, but was ruined by the writing of the love story. The rest was not as terrible as some would have you believe.

Episode 1...I'll go back to what I said at the time: What we saw on that screen was George Lucas' imagination, unfettered. Someone should have fettered it.

The Force Awakens.....I gave it 3.5 out of 5 at the time, but it improved for me on the second viewing. Yes, there were plot similarities to Star Wars, but the details and performances made it stand out as different. Also the big spoiler in the film gave it a weight that I was not expecting. It was what I said they needed to do all along: Bury the hatchet (using large piles of money, if necessary) with Lawrence Kasdan, and get to work. My wife likes, but does not love Star Wars, and she wanted to see it a second time almost immediately. I did too. That is rare.

Rogue One was good, but I am in no rush to see it again.

I can't wait for "The Last Jedi." Really stoked.

Tsukiyomi and BrianSkeezer like this.
  14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Going by history, the scenes in the trailer are deceptively out of sequence, some of the scenes and dialog will not be in the movie and their inclusion is intentionally deceptive, and the narration is not likely to be addressing the characters they lead you to assume it is.

The trailer is not only not a spoiler, it is a red herring.

15. PsychoCid

I am totally pro-fettering George Lucas!

TFA wasn't a turn off for me because it resembled the original movie. Rather I saw that as a reset button. It said "Hey, we are totally fettering George Lucas so we can get back to what's really important."

wrappedinsky, Tsukiyomi and manco53 like this.
  16. PsychoCid

Not even talking about Star Wars, I would guess red herring trailers are still better than 'give away the entire plot and show all the action scenes so there's not even a reason for you to watch the movie' trailers.

zisme and BrianSkeezer like this.
  17. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

They've got me concerned with the introduction of the Walkers in the second installment of the first trilogy and what do we see in the second installment of this trilogy? Walkers. Seriously, if this is another retelling I'm walking out as soon as it becomes obvious.

I much preferred Rogue One to TFA. By a loooong margin.

kungphugrip and BrianSkeezer like this.
  18. Chocol8

Bad comedies are the worst offenders IMHO. There have been more than one where every funny moment fit into a 90 second trailer, leaving the remaining 90 minutes dull and utterly pointless.

PsychoCid and BrianSkeezer like this.
  19. Chocol8

Well, you can expect our heroes to be split with Rey going off to see Luke like Luke went to Yoda while the others fight separately. And Rey will face Snoke/Kylo before she is ready. The first order will recover well from their surprise defeat, and the rebellion/resistance will face a setback.

Hopefully they learned their lesson from TFA and include enough major new elements to make this something other than Empire Strikes Back: The next Generation.

And I agree with you. I enjoyed TFA the first time in the theater, but on rewatch I think it ranks below Phantom Menace on par with AOTC. Rogue One was better than any of the prequels or TFA.

20. arron

arron Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but I have a feeling it will be a cliffhanger ending again to get us salivating for the next one.

adad and PsychoCid like this.