What Are You, An Idiot?!

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by idiotsdelight, Mar 24, 2017.

1. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Well, this is going to be it. I'm commited. It's gonna be a cesspool of a variety of projects & meltdowns splayed all over your computer screen for you to scoff & laugh at.

Here's what I was up to yesterday. Everyone knows about these AXL shells from ubuyguitars.com. Awesome projects for low monies & like I said if you wanted to practice installing frets this is your chance. You might be rewarded with a cool guitar.

I purposefully did the more difficult one first, the double bound AXL Bel Air. It's more difficult because the bound neck requires a lot more cutting of the tang for your overhang. hmmm... great metaphor-Tang for your overhang. Sounds like something you might call your girlfriend/wife.
    image.jpg
    One fret side cut & prepped. About to do the other.

No I wasn't using those pliers to cut. Those were to put a little more bend in the fret. I should have taken a pic of the modded everyday cutters I was using (I got to use a friends shop/bench/tools/wisdom/guidance). You don't need $1000's of Stew Mac tools.
    image.jpg
    Frets glued (Elmer's glue FTW) tapped & clamped. I've seen people use CA but because we weren't fret pressing per se. The Elmer's gives a longer drying time & acts as a lube when tapping. Cleans up with a damp rag.

I checked up & down the neck with a small straight edge for high frets previous to the clamping. That's the time to knock it down.

See the rods under the block? Applying pressure the length of the neck on the edge of the fretboard/frets. This is my fret press.

This whole effort took a couple hours total.

I'll add to those that got these projects to organize your frets from shortest to longest to start. I eyeballed it kind of rushing. Also take an Xacto knife to your fret slots & clean them out really well. These seem to be cut pretty deep.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Bullcat, gt5litre, stevebway and 24 others like this.
  2. rambleon

rambleon Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man, that's ballsy work. Did you bend the frets beforehand to the FB radius?

idiotsdelight likes this.
  3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I read this and thought you were talking to me.
    Awesome thanks for sharing man!

Na the frets come pre-cut and radiused.
    I'm gonna have a go at this myself maybe tomorrow.

I thought that jig was for repairing a cracked neck on an orange one, multi use tools FTW!

4. minpind

minpind Well-Known Member

You are now the Tobijohn of guitar projects.

stevebway, PsychoCid, Mickey and 4 others like this.
  5. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

I love the color of that body.

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Not a real workshop. Obviously staged. No beer anywhere to be seen.
    But nice try :sunglasses:

7. warped

warped Well-Known Member

Awesome. I saw those also then I noticed they didn't have frets. My ambition doesn't run that high these days but you make it look like you have it under control. I too really like that color and it's something I'd never look at twice normally.

8. idiotsdelight

Good eye. Same setup for different repairs!

He's speaking of this repair last week...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Easy fret board repair with epoxy. Why epoxy & not wood glue? Epoxy is better at glue on glue separations.

The fretwire is pre-cut & formed, but at the goading of my expert he recommended a bit more to help keep those ends down. The non bound one should be easier for those that got em. Sort your fretwire to length guys.

Yes I have as many repairs & projects as tobi has guits. This is gonna happen. I'm looking forward to a lot of the finishes on bodies & necks mostly.

9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was just up there today and got the trans red jr and some frets. Dave said even on these guitars the ends of the fret slots are filled in and if removed could crack the finish. He said measure and cut the tang in so the fret ends have no tang. He doesn't include the wraparound bridge anymore

10. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

I haven't read a damn thing and I'm already L aughing MAO.. I'm kidding man I liove this shit

stevebway and idiotsdelight like this.
  11. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nah, you are not an idiot. Back in the old days men naturally pursued their hobbies and honed their skills and spent countless hours in their workshops, some drinking beer and smoking cigs , and most, hiding from the wife and kids.

I wonder how many projects ubuyguitars has spawned? I have two amps well underway on my workbench and I bought enough stuff to build three more. And more parts and things to boot. And the hours I've spent on these projects have passed like minutes.

12. idiotsdelight

I'd have loved to been able to hide in my manplace the last couple years. It wasn't to be. I got zero things done so now I'm going to remedy that.

Here's some pics I shot in the shop. It's an amazing place & amazing people show up bringing some equally amazing guits & ability.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    The neck on the left had been off for a reset on the Gretsch above. I took this pic of them with an unused Anniversary Gibson neck stamped '73 on the heel, just laying around the shop.

corn- Your neck has been boxed & sitting at my work for weeks. My bad.

13. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Sigh.

One of the pieces on my bucket list is a 25/50. But these were built in '78. Are you sure that neck is stamped '73, or is it just a badly done "8"? Is it a 3-piece maple neck? Maybe I could have someone BUILD me that guitar...

PsychoCid and idiotsdelight like this.
  14. idiotsdelight

I'll take a pic next time I'm over. It's been there for years. He said an old Gibson buddy gave it to him to build a body around.

Here's some pics I took awhile ago. *For some reason it won't give me the "upload image" button now.
    d843b2ebd8c9ce28d01a170a568700aa.jpg

15. idiotsdelight

I'm getting a bit of the stupid in my old age. You are correct dspellman. It is '79. I might not have had my glasses on.
    image.jpg
    Finished up the blue AXL in about an hour was all I got done today. Light level & crown, ends all done up nice. I'd take a pic but the phone is full (of shit).

I'm itemizing the steps to take on the SG & the LP. Picked up some scrap mahogany for finish testing. I want to touch up the SG headstock a bit & cut the LP headstock to shape previous to gluing. It'll be easier unattached to the body.

I had a local player come into my friends shop while I was showing the SG Jr to my friend. He brought in a beautiful old late 70's/early 80's LP Standard w tobacco finish & all the vicious player wear from many gigs. The SG Jr caught his attention right away with the figuring. Thats his old SG in the shop (above post). The guy can play.

Be back soon.

16. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Hey, do you have your PMs turned on?

17. idiotsdelight

Yes. Are you not getting thru?

18. idiotsdelight

First coat of lite blonde shellac for a grain filler. I'm liking the color in real life.
    image.jpg image.jpg

1 coat for body & neck & I'll glue them up. Still doing some fine tuning on the headstock shape.

...In true form I snagged the cloth on that paper thin area in the lower bout contour/neck route pulling a little splinter of wood off (look at the shadow).

I've tried so hard not to ding this thing but it's almost impossible. I fired up the iron to steam out a couple really small dings on the neck too. Fuck, fuck, & moAr fuck.

As long as the iron was on I finally soldered the $9 Magideal Dogear into my Epi SG Jr. So far I'm impressed. I thought the price would have the 60 cycle hum all pissy & such but maybe it's the good wiring in this house.

stevebway, Mossman, rmfroyd and 2 others like this.
  19. idiotsdelight

Headstock shaped...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ...& shellac'd. Might not be able to tell but it darkened up with 1 coat. Glue next & I'll continue with the grain filling.

gt5litre, stevebway, jam and 2 others like this.
  20. idiotsdelight

Well, "it's" back. A bit of a hiatus but we're stabilizing.

I broke an unspoken agreement to quit buying complete guitars but this showed up on GC used & I missed trutone's sale.

Squier S-73. Came with a crookedly placed B5 so I replaced it with something less Frankensteiney. Going to add chrome covers tonight to give it that Guild Polara/S73 look. The red is absomotherfuckingly beautiful.
    btw-as mentioned elsewhere this has a custom pg. Whomever made it has a good eye me thinks. It was well made.
    image.jpg
    8b35e5cb79a586717688e0df32f73536.jpg
    6c98798604f625ff406edb280e9a7225.jpg

I've been OCD'ing over SG's and blingy trems lately. Here's another I finished today.

The Wenson SG copy. Bound neck & triple bound sexy headstock. Added the B700 & Vibramate & roller bridge. Staying in tune great but have to touch that D saddle a bit to intonate it better.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I'd always assumed this was a solid black back, but I looked closer & realize it's a dark transparent cherry/wine red. You can see the grain on the back.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    jam, Brendan, Partscaster and 9 others like this.