Would You Give Bad Feedback To Somebody Who Used An Abnormally Long Shipping Method?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by James, Oct 11, 2017.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I was just wondering because every time I sell something on eBay or Reverb I ship it 2nd day priority as long as it's not abnormally heavy or expensive to ship.

I purchase something the other day from Ohio and they shipped FedEx Smart shipper with an expected delivery time of 7 to 8 days to Florida. This is about a 3-pound package that's less than 12 x 12. It is a computer audio interface it's not like it's a guitar body or something.

I'm not saying I'm going to give them bad feedback or anything I just don't think it's very courteous.

2. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Usually the shipping method is in the fine print. I ship the cheapest way due to Ebay taking a 10% cut, including the shipping charges.

3. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

I would only give a bad feedback if you were misled about that, aka if it said they ship 2nd day priority but in reality shipped it a different way and pocketed the price difference.

Otherwise, a seller is free to choose their shipping methods and as long as they're stated up front, it's assumed legally and common sense-wise that it's cool with you.

rrobbone, mark_morton and Chocol8 like this.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yea, its good to ask about shipping. Now if it was being drop shipped from china with a delivery time pinpointed somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months well maybe then.

5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Agree with the above....all depends on the shipping method that was specified in the auction. If it wasn't what you paid for then you could specify in feedback.

rrobbone likes this.
  6. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

I just bitched at Amazon Prime about delayed shipment today......here's the "Chat transcript" if you care to read it..

5bcbc4920197412eb64f9230a42b72df._.png

Message From Customer Service
    Hello,
    Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:

Initial Question: why is an item I ordered THAT IS IN STOCK & listed as a PRIME shipping item not going to be delivered until 10/19/17 or 8 DAYS from now..? I ordered these parts from Amazon because I NEED THEM BY THIS WEEKEND>>10/14/17...

here is a notice I received on this item...

Delivery estimate: Thursday, October 19, 2017 by 8 PM

5 of Waterway Plastics 806105029669 Internal Scalloped Pulsator Gray Adjustable Mini Jet

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

$14.59

Condition: New

per Order #114-3826198-4177850

and a link to the Item

08:57 AM PDT Nicole(Amazon): Hello, my name is Nicole. I'm here to help you today.Thank you for being a Prime member.
    08:58 AM PDT Ron M.: thanks, can you please see what the delay in shipping on these items are as it IS ESSENTIAL I receive them this weekend for a Clam Bake Party that is going on 10/14/17

09:00 AM PDT Nicole: Ron I do understand that this is important for you and I was checking and it seems that this is the item that can be delivered right away because as you see we only have 6 in stock and you ordered 4, not all of them are in the same fulfillment centers, so we need to have more time to get them and prepare it for shipment.
    By any chance can you get a similar option that can arrive sooner?

09:02 AM PDT Ron M.: I ordered 5 and I believe there is a seller offering Prime Shipping but selling the EXACT Same item for $21.99
    09:03 AM PDT Nicole: May I have the link to that item?

09:09 AM PDT Ron M.: on the link that I sent you they are under Other Sellers on Amazon..under Pogue Supply though I tryied to add them to cart & they only have 1 in stock....SO it looks like I am going to have to order through YOU...when I ordered these items at 6;30am today it said there were 16 IN STOCK....instead of SHIPPING ALL AT ONCE IN ONE ORDER WHY NOT BREAK UP THE ORDER & SHIP WHAT IS AT A CERTAIN FULFILLMENT CENTER ASAP...?

09:11 AM PDT Nicole: The ones that are sold by us take more time to ship because the reason I explained you above Ron, I would love to expedite it , but as we don't have a lot of them in stock we need more time to ship the item
    09:13 AM PDT Ron M.: this sucks...and you should take the Prime Shipping Advertisement off the item mentioned if you incapable of honoring the Prime Shipment Agreement

09:14 AM PDT Nicole: Ron in this case the two day shipping doesn't mean two day delivery, we will honor the prime membership once the item ships, If an item isn't readily available, selecting One-Day or Two-Day Shipping will reduce the transit time to one or two business days after we've shipped your order, but won't impact how long it takes us to obtain the item or prepare it for shipment.
    09:16 AM PDT Ron M.: OK...well keep the order ACTIVE & if I am able to locate them somewhere else & save the Clam Bake I will...

09:17 AM PDT Nicole: For the inconvenience, let me offer you a 5$ promo to your account Ron :)
    09:18 AM PDT Ron M.: Ok Thanks....or How about when you get the order sorted out you NEXT DAY AIR it to me on your dime for the inconvience...Thanks

09:19 AM PDT Nicole: We will need to wait to see if the one day is available Ron, at this moment the fastest is for Wednesday 18th.
    09:20 AM PDT Ron M.: Ok. lets shoot for that Thanks
    Thank you.
    Amazon.com

7. Gagoosh

Gagoosh Well-Known Member

UPS Ground usually takes around 1 week to California no matter where the shipping originates, so I don't relate 7 or 8 days as being abnormally long.
    I have had some stuff that was shipped to me as USPS Media Mail which I can only assume gets put on a freighter ship, sailed around the coasts of every continent, then strapped to the back of a three legged donkey with a bad sense of direction.

minpind and thepezident like this.
  8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

We live in such an immediate gratification world. If we have to wait more than a couple of days, it's just not acceptable! I remember when I was growing up, if you ordered something, the standard delivery time was always 6-8 weeks. But I digress... If they advertised "prime" or express shipping, or if you paid extra for shipping, I'd probably note that in the feedback. Otherwise, probably not.

mark_morton, Rokdog and StratoAgile like this.
  9. StratoAgile

StratoAgile Well-Known Member

This or of course if buyer paid for XXXX method

Not normally bothered by shipping times unless it's something urgent

10. James

James Well-Known Member

So I guess this means I'm the only one. I mean I specify in my auctions if I'm going to do Media Mail or something like that but in general I just think it's a courtesy to ship something priority or at least UPS ground speed.

Rokdog likes this.
  11. jmilch

jmilch Active Member

I always offer USPS priority. But I also read the fine print on anything I buy online.

Samy way I only buy items that offer Amazon prime. If the seller specified the shipping method, I would not leave any bad feedback. IF he specified faster shipping, and it was slower than stated, I would leave neutral feedback.

12. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

To answer the original question, it depends on how much they charged you for shipping and what they specified as to shipping method.

13. James

James Well-Known Member

I won't leave negative feedback because the seller did nothing wrong. However the seller did not specify shipping method. I typically say USPS first class and then if its only a dollar more I upgrade it.

14. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I cancelled an order on a seller on Reverb because he couldn't be bothered to ship until 5 days after I ordered.
    I also cancelled an ebay order after they hadn't shipped 8 days after I purchased.
    Slow shipping, on the other hand, has never been a reason I've left bad feedback. If they don't specify a type of shipping or a speed, I can't complain.

As a seller, I always use the most convenient method that's affordable which is Fedex ground. I ship stuff out within 24 hours. If I don't, I usually let the seller know what's going on.

Rokdog likes this.
  15. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

I always put box dimensions and weight in my auctions and I specify the shipping method.
    I usually choose Fed Ex Smart Post or USPS...

I just assume buyer wants to pay the least amount for shipping.
    Oh and I put in my listings that item will ship either same or next day.
    And I make that happen....

Rokdog likes this.
  16. jmilch

jmilch Active Member

If it was not specified, that falls on the shoulders of the buyer imo. Because then you are just assuming he would ship like you would.

That's not always the case. Sounds like a legit sale. I would just make sure I bought from a seller with the shipping method you prefer, specified at checkout.

17. Jofa

Jofa Well-Known Member

Gray area. I'd probably just refrain from leaving any feedback at all.

18. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

Only if the understanding was that it was agreed that another method should have been used

19. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

if they give an estimate as to shipping time and when tracking the item it is still in "Shipping info Received" mode & yet to even be shipped out
    when it should have ALREADY arrived per their E.T.A. shipping time I will rip them a new one in feedback....Ain't nobody got time for that..

20. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

That's what feedback is for. Leave a comment about how you felt about the shipping procedure, or let the seller know through PM.

I always try to ship an order as fast as I can get it packed and to the shipping center. That's a customer standing at the counter, and I want to do everything I can to encourage them to buy again. I like to message the customer as to when I expect to ship it as well, even if it's right away (which it is, most of the time). I've had orders while I was out of town, and a little communication goes a long way. That customer had to wait a couple extra days since I wasn't home, but I notified him and asked for his patience. I followed up with a tracking number two hours after I got home, and he was happy.

PsychoCid likes this.