Your Expert Input Needed

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by DonM, Aug 12, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I have a retired friend that thinks he would like to learn to play the bass and is interested in a starter. I found this one locally, does this seem like a good deal? It's local so there's no shipping. $140 for Squire guitar and small Squire amp.

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/45230262

IMG_0050.JPG

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Not a bad deal IMO. I feel like you could find similar or better deals if you kept looking. The market is good for buyers today. I would encourage him to get a larger amp even if he intends on playing quiet. Find one with a headphone out if it's necessary. I don't know that amp specifically but my experience is the fart out and distort at modest volume on the low E string and that can seem unflattering when you're learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minpind and DonM like this.
  3. LoStrings

LoStrings Active Member

I think that's a pretty good deal. I would offer $120.00 and see what happens...good luck.

DonM likes this.

4. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I'd offer him $90-$100 for the bass and gig bag, and tell him he can keep the amp.

As JTA said; get a better amp with an aux in and a headphone out - it will be necessary. Even at low volume, bass frequencies travel far, and if he ends up disturbing anyone, it'll come in handy. In one apartment I lived in, I could not turn the amp down low enough to avoid complaints, so I had to use headphones most of the time.

DonM likes this.
  5. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but...

I got a bass pak exactly like that one many moons ago as my starter bass. If it's all in good shape, $140 is a decent price. The only thing is, he will outgrow that amp very quickly. Jimy and Mossman has good advice here, IMHO.

As for the Affinity bass that comes in the set, I still haven't found the need to replace mine years down the road. I play it in worship band every week. I replaced the plastic nut with a Tusq, upgraded the pots (were scratchy and didn't taper well), and gave it a good fret job. Very stable and it sounds great with minimal upgrades.

I run Ernie Ball Cobalt strings, I find they help accentuate the midrange.

Mossman and DonM like this.
  6. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it.

Mossman likes this.
  7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Looks good and agree with the other poses. Talk to your friend and see if he'll even remotely want to jam with other people in the future. If so, get a used Squire or equivalent and a bigger amp.

8. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd consider a 30" scale bass for a beginner. Rondo has a few that look pretty good, some of them are super cheap. Nearly all of the Danelectro basses will be 30", a Bronco bass is 30", Grestch Electromatic (meh), any of the violin "Beatle" basses are 30" (my pick, get the Rogue or the Douglas).