“damn Wide” Nut Width

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hhai, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

Anyone have experience with this width yet? How did you like it? I have sloth hands and these seem perfect. Wish there were more AL’s with this spec in more colors!

sabasgr68 likes this.
  2. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

Alright well y'all lovely folk were no help lol so I went ahead took on the terrible burden of taking one for the team to find out, so I ordered a AL-3010SE Damn Wide in Oceanburst.

I'll let you know how it goes when it gets here.

First Agile and first Les Paul btw.

voodoorat, sabasgr68, jam and 2 others like this.
  3. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Hi Hhai,

Sorry none of us answered your question from months ago. Personally, I've never tried one of the "Damn Wide" nut width Agiles, so I can't comment. However, I do seem to prefer guitars with wider nut widths myself, so I look forward to reading your thoughts when it gets to you! Thank you for biting the bullet for the rest of us who've been wondering about these!

Matt

sabasgr68 and peskypesky like this.

4. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

No problem, I only be teasin ^_^

In my whole time dinking around with guitars, I’ve always struggled with muting strings when chording. can get it down eventually with work and nailing angles and technique just right, but it always makes learning new chords and quick transitions so difficult for me, it’s really discouraging.

There really aren’t many options for electric guitar players seeking wider necks and string spacing, 1 3/4” is rare let alone 1 7/8”. Warmth will build a neck like that for 3-5 hundred bucks. USACG builds necks that wide but I think they need a special bridge or something. I say, Might as well get a Les Paul while I’m at it.

I have played a few custom guitars with wide spacing, Jim Soloways Gosling model with “Fingerstyle” spacing as he called it. Amazing. Just perfect. But 3-4K price tag. Played an amazing Myka Dragonfly with a custom width slightly larger than 1 3/4” and that was also sublime. Also a 4-6k build though.

Thing is, playing was so much easier on those guitars with wide boards and large spacing. The struggle was gone. I know I’m not the only player with these massive hands and problems so I’m hoping this $400 LP will be a great affordable option to cure the struggle for everyone who has it. Cause there really isn’t much short of a custom build.

Also are you the same Matt S that made the 3010se ocean burst review on YouTube? Nice review if so.

jam, sabasgr68 and MattS like this.
  5. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Got a link? I've never heard of these, but I don't browse Rondo much anymore.

6. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

idiotsdelight and MattS like this.
  7. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

I was pretty sure you were just kidding around :thumbsup:. As for the other Matt S that does great guitar reviews, unfortunately, I am not him. I couldn't carry his jock-strap when it comes to my guitar playing abilities. I love guitars, but I suck at playing them.

Matt

Gergo, Hhai and sabasgr68 like this.
  8. jam

jam Well-Known Member

I'm keen to hear what you have to say about them. They had definitely caught my interest.

9. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

@Hhai you´re almost a founding AGF member (2008), but haven´t posted much.

This upcoming NGD thread about that Damn Wide AL will compensate for good!

Looking forward to it. I think I´d enjoy playing it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MattS likes this.
  10. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

hahaha, damn! crazy how time goes by. Pretty much an OG ghost member.
    Which reminds me, my gear list is crazy outta date.

So I've kept up on how good AL's supposedly are and all the variances and whatnot, but it'll be my first experience with one, looking forward to it. Knowing how different alotta the oceanburst AL's i've seen can be, i'm really hoping for a killer actually BLUE flame top! We will see. It's supposed to arrive Monday.

Also, aside from a 100 dollar beater i picked up a few months ago, it'll be my first NGD in 10 years(!!!!) (The secret is a tele made of old pine and a nice champ clone)

Gergo, sabasgr68 and MattS like this.
  11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

My hands are large and I prefer a chunky neck. I had an Agile wide (1-3/4") and it was less comfortable than my 1-11/16" necks. Reason - too thin front to back at first fret. These damn wides are .86" so I will be interested in your review. My Grote 335 measures in at .897 with a 1-11/16" nut width and it feels good but could be thicker.

Congrats and hope it helps. I fret out a LOT of guitars.

12. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Wide nuts and finger boards are not for me.

voodoorat likes this.
  13. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

Hmm, interesting. I haven’t even played any of the agile necks so I have no context here. I am curious to see how/if the profile works with the width. I think the shape can be really important here maybe more than girth for me personally. Every variable in the neck adds up and matters equally in how it feels in the end IMO. Some shapes just don’t work with certain widths, so I’m curious how it’ll come together too.

Man, thats awesome! You are in luck there! I’ve checked pretty thoroughly and it turns out this is pretty much the only production line electric guitar, let alone such an affordable one, with this wide of a neck.

So aside from the regular wide Agiles, some custom luthier builds, occasional oddball models from the bigger names, and Gibsons 2015 line, you’re safe my guy! All the other electric guitars are for you!

14. jam

jam Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for an el-cheapo 2015 LP Junior to Fall in my lap.

15. Pilipete_Townshend

Pilipete_Townshend Active Member

Big Lou Guitars (electric guitars) has wide necks 1-3/4 , 1-7/8, some necks up to 2 inches.
    https://www.biglouguitar.com/
    I have a 1-3/4 on my other guitar with an R5 nut. I love it. Nothing better or best its just a personal preference.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    MattS and Hhai like this.
  16. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

I have heard and looked into big lou as well. They’re enticing, and while this is just personal taste, they look unimpressive and run of the mill ”cloney”. Some people seem to love theirs but when I looked deeper into them a lot of people ended up having serious quality issues with them.

I’m more familiar with the consensus on Agile 3XXX quality, they’re about the same price and I like the way they look better than lou’s Lp clones.

Still would like to try one though. Seems like it’s them or agile for width options

MattS likes this.
  17. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

LP's can have some big necks. I am a 335 player and big necks on those sweeties are as rare as hens teeth.

18. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Like I said, wide nuts are tough to live with. They just don't make pants to fit them.

RiverDog, Hhai, jam and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hhai

Hhai Active Member

My upcoming crisis of inferior pants aside, I got curious about the differences between Big Lou 1 7/8" nut and Agile's. Their website isn't too revealing but I found a Premier Guitar article from 10 years ago claiming the string spacing is 8mm or .315 inches. It doesn't say where it was measured but i'm assuming at the nut. While according to Kurt's specs for the Damn Wide claim 11/32 (8.7 mm or .343 inches) string spacing at the nut. So given Big Lou still uses the same specs and Kurt's specs are accurate as well, Agile's neck has slightly wider string spacing to boot. So aside from Lou's 2" nut, it's pretty much the widest and roomiest neck on the market. I wonder if Lou's 2" nut has wider spacing?

20. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

An aside, when Rondo first brought out the 1 3/4" necks, the nuts had the same string spacing as the 1 5/8" nut.
    At least it was on the backwards guitars, the leftys came with nuts with the correct spacing. :)
    Kurt sent replacement nuts to all the backwards players who asked for one.