1992 Gibson LP Studio project/Finished pics!!!

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by ziggle, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

Today I stripped the hardware off and took a butt load of before pics. Haven't gotten around to starting the process of refinishing yet, though, as I'm still contemplating a few things.

Like I learned a long time ago with classic car restoration, it's never as easy as it appears to be...With all the hardware off I'm seeing more and more good and bad things.

But...to the pics!

Looks not too shabby here!
    72da7b23588e0cf523d9f9ac2a6ab07e.jpg

The top's not all that bad, but there are a few areas which are making me second guess being able to save the Teal Blue finish.
    fee74343125535ddc9e11275bb6dd338.jpg

The headstock may not look so cool without the hardware on it...but no finish cracks through to the logos. Whew...Those are a real pain to reapply correctly.
    526da8724470597499070b468775d513.jpg

And the pickup cavities...all is well here. A little rough, but typical.
    3d9aa9b225a4fd9c39b43f0877eb6a30.jpg

The finish flaking around the bridge and tail piece are my worry spots on the top. If they chip any further, I can kiss this teal blue goodbye!
    8493f28ed71cdd1cb18858991f451617.jpg

Jack...The rough cuts are pretty surprising. Should I not be surprised? Dunno. Never refinished a Gibby Studio before.
    bfe1c28dc2ea13ef4f5e2254128ef7d7.jpg

In this photo, just below the cavity, is the one area that I can pretty much guarantee will be a problem. I think it has been repaired here but won't know till I get it stripped. If not, it's sure one hell of a big "oops" in the finish!
    9a2bf58fe067de016ead304dbee30e3e.jpg

Took some work with a new Xacto blade to cut the previous color spray enough to get the nut out. When the guitar was resprayed (maybe due to the refret...who knows?) the nut was fairly heavily covered. I think this photo makes the slot look worse than it is.
    3d9e9fd12b501ddf3df3cd5ead02c6d4.jpg

The total disregard of a smooth finish along the side of the neck was pretty surprising. It almost appears as if, when the new frets were installed, the finish was melted with thinner or something to try to fix chips. Just a guess, though. It's much more dramatic to feel than to see in this lousy pic. Note, too, the finish pooling along the frets and the Ebony fretboard. :nono: Easy fix, though.
    7510907c432d44623b42bef7bc28e812.jpg

Fairly standard stuff here. Nothing to make me shake my head at. The wiring and pots are still quite decent--no pops, noise, or anything, so I'm going to attempt to retain all of the pots, etc. and just use the existing parts, although I'll probably get a new jack.
    1618f0df6331e2373a59465361de150b.jpg

Will need a new truss rod cover and output jack plate, but I can use the rest. The control cavity cover has some over spray on it (>>bang head here<<) but I am pretty sure I can buff it out.
    59726642a787417332aac0798be49fd6.jpg

The hardware is in good shape, although a few of the black chrome bits have some wear, but are still very serviceable. I doubt I'll go through the expense of new hardware. This stuff is fine and fully functional.
    4e1882953610b1a3aeebb66fee2b9fb9.jpg

Man, I dig this 500t!!! Actually, both sound great.
    76c9971a46aada2ba4d19d1e5bf53f45.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow or, more doubtful, later tonight, I'll be able to start stripping the neck and back of the headstock.

Updates will follow as I get to them!

Advice is always welcome, too. I think I'll be doing my best to retain the top color, and the back? Well, it's sort of a purplish black, and I think that I'm fairly SOL in terms of matching it. I'm more and more considering either black stain on the back with clear and maybe a shot of transparent blue in between, or transparent black and transparent blue (clear, transblack, clear, trans black, clear, transblue, clear) but if there's enough body damage, solid black it shall be!!!

Worst case on the top is that I go with transblack or transblue.

OK--off to get some new masks.

**Edit 6/7/2011. Guitar is pretty much done! Pics at end of thread!

rasaban likes this.
  2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

RE: 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite project underway

You always have such cool guitars, loving it! :bowdown:

ziggle likes this.
  3. 6twang

6twang New Member

It looks pretty rough now. I want to see this one redone for sure. Did those only come in t blue because every one I've seen was?

4. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain I've seen '92 LP Studio Lite models in different colors, but I can't be POSITIVE of that. The Teal Blue is very, very cool in person, though. I hate the thought of losing it. But...c'est la vie!!! It's chipping very easily so we'll see! Worst case? Maybe natural, transblack, or maybe some transgreen and transblue to try to make a close match to the Teal Blue. Either way, I don't want completely natural nor do I want a solid color. Short of that, I just want to get it fully underway.

Hopefully tomorrow I can really dig in and get started, so if no pics tomorrow, then by this weekend for sure!

5. harpmaster

harpmaster Well-Known Member

I think it looks beautiful and I am so looking forward to this thread!!!!

ziggle likes this.
  6. Mr. Chow

Mr. Chow Well-Known Member

No offense to anyone, but I really hope the blue does go. Just me. Don't like blue guitars. Tolerable on strats. But, downright offensive on a LP.

Can't wait to see the progress on this one. :thumbup:

bluesking55 likes this.
  7. diffra

diffra Guest

None taken :sniff:

ziggle likes this.
  8. i hate righties

i hate righties New Member

there are some good blue guitars....but thats not one, IMO. I hope the whole thing gets stripped down:baddevil:
    what wood is the body?

9. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

hmm ebony board too :thumbup:
    Depending on what the wood looks like you may change your mind about the natural finish :wiggle:

10. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

ha! You're too funny!

[hr]
    Ya'll are crazy! You haven't seen this color in person, apparently. None of these shots were outside in the sunlight to get a true color perspective on digital images.

If it was, you might think differently, which is why I'm so crazed about trying to preserve the top color. It's really an awesome shade of Teal Blue--like an ocean blue/green or something. It's the bottom that's hideous! :grin:[hr]
    You, Sir, have no real taste to speak of! I am highly offended by your remarks!

It's all good. We all have our preferences, and Mr. Chow is just jealous!

:baddevil:

Kidding! Kidding! And btw, I'll pm you shortly about el Harm.

[hr]
    Oh, and since I haven't started the strip-down yet, I'll try one last time to get an honest shot of the TEAL Blue.

11. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

OK, Thursday update. Didn't do a whole lot today--got side tracked with a few other issues.

But, I did sit down with it on the bench for a while to see what's doin' with the finish. If the jackhole hadn't sanded the back of the headstock to reveal the SN (apparently he's never heard of lacquer thinner?) which was invisible under all the lacquer (another tell tale sign that it was refinished), I could actually have salvaged the entire guitar--front and back. But I decided to not try and match the color, nor just do the headstock black (back of it, anyway). So I took a deep breath and said to hell with it, and went to town.

So it's getting down to bare wood, but I've done all I can do in the couple hours I had to spare, so more, hopefully, will follow tomorrow, and maybe with some stripped pics.

If the bare wood is all good, then I'll go from there--maybe a semi-natural look would suit it well. We shall see...

12. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

sand the sides and back down to the wood !!! c'mon, you know you wanna. all the cool kids are doing it !!!

:wiggle:

13. Mr. Chow

Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!! :wiggle:

14. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

Ha! Well, I guess I gave in to all the peer pressure. I found some additional time late this evening and none of the pics were worth a darn, so I'll wait until I finish it (hopefully tomorrow) before posting some decent daylight photos.

Here's the good news!

The maple top is FRIGGIN' GORGEOUS but not particularly the most amazing grain. So what? It's not a high quality figured top, but it's very, very nice maple. It does have one small gash in it which I am confident was a factory deal, as I had to really scrub it to get all the Teal Blue out with steel wool and lacquer thinner, but I'm confident it will sand back smooth and unnoticeable. Considering the shape of the finish, I honestly expected more dings, but there's so far only one, and it's so damn tiny it's not worth mentioning.

The bottom and sides are equally as nice. To my surprise, the area below the control cavity (which had the mucked up nitro) is damage free! I love being wrong in cases like this, so Harpmaster wins the gold star for being the optimist! The Mahogany is really shaping up nicely, and tomorrow, first order of business when I can get to the guitar is to clean up the bottom and sides with lacquer thinner! I have a feeling it's going to be outstanding!

The neck will follow after that. I did sand back the finish a bit, especially along the edges of the fretboard where a refret obviously left a lot of dips, and that, too, is coming along really well. After some sanding, I again went back to the lacquer thinner and scrubbed using just an old, clean terry cloth. Works well, but unlike the top, this is THICK so will have to be aggressively sanded like the bottom.

And the bad...

The closer I get to the neck, the more nervous I get as to what I'm going to find underneath. In one of my shots that I just realized I didn't post and probably won't bother with unless I find the >>ahem<< suspected fracture, the finish is again very thick and has a hairline horizontal crack.

Now, given the general disarray of the entire finish, I'm not going to stress as much as I was before I stripped the body, but it's hardly unusual for an older LP Studio to have a cracked or busted headstock. Obviously from the front it hasn't been broken clean off, but it could be cracked.

If that's the case, hopefully it was a decent repair job so it's seamless, or close to, or I'll have to rethink the natural look on the neck.

But, lesson learned from the All Knowing, All Powerful Harpmaster, I'm remaining optimistic but will exercise caution when I start on the back of the headstock. I may actually use a stripping agent here just to exercise a little extra caution. I've seen some pretty poorly repaired but well covered up breaks before, and the last thing I want to do is wind up snagging a sanding block on a fracture and ripping out a piece of wood...don't ask me how I know to be careful with this, or I might cry!!! :sniff:

But, thus far, that's the only real BAD part, and it's not even bad (yet) so hell! This might be done in far less time than I anticipated!!!

So, if all goes well up to the back of the headstock tomorrow, I'll begin wet-sanding the front of the headstock to very slowly and carefully and evenly level out the nitro over the face of the headstock. I already did a bit of it, and it was cleaning up quite nicely. Just decided to call it good and tape it up before digging into the rest of the body! But if I'm careful, I'm thinking the headstock, logos and all, will look brand spanking new by the time I'm done.

And yes, I've been accused of over-analyzing damn near everything! :baddevil: Can't help it, but that's how I am!!!

At any rate, the real question now is...

To stain or not to stain?

I was thinking a natural stain over the Maple--probably just one or two light coats--and maybe two to four coats of natural over the Mahogany, but if anyone has any suggestions for the Mahogany, by all means, let me know!!!

As for the overall finish, excepting the headstock, I'm leaning toward an equal mix of semi-gloss MinWax rubbed Polyurethane (love that stuff) and gloss Tung Oil (which really isn't too glossy). Why? The Poly dries harder and buffs better, and in the long run, I think it will give the Tung Oil the extra long-term strength to endure being toted around and played, while the Tung Oil will give that satin smooth feel that Poly just can't quite do.

Thoughts on this?

I can always do nitro, too!!!

OK, cheers for the night!

15. Mr. Chow

Something in a light amber, perhaps? :hsugh:

16. harpmaster

I think it will look excellent natural More Pic !!!! More Pics!!!!!!! Oh did I say MORE PICS PLEASE!!!!!!:wiggle:

17. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

I'm tending to lean that direction, too, since I got a good look at it in the sunlight.

Yeah, pics will be forthcoming later today. I don't want to get all excited and later find a cracked headstock.... Superstitious? Maybe...

Thing about the natural is that I know I'm going to be wanting to do cream pickup rings, toggle surround, and chrome hardware. Damnit...lol...

18. harpmaster

Well I can get all of that for you:naughty:

19. ziggle

ziggle Well-Known Member

Yup! And we'll see what happens. Maybe the black will work, but never liked the black or black chrome look on natural...dunno why. Might work with the Ebony board, though.

Why am I even worried about this right now? LMAO!!! Good lord, first I need to get to the finish and see how she cleans up, but I am tied up with some other things I need to get done...more pressing...

Like, the fact that my car got swallowed by a big-ass sink hole this morning at my son's high school... :ticking: :puzzled: :rl: Got to pull it onto the ramps and make sure all's well. Glad I have a big-arse skid plate under there! Bottomed out front and rear, but was only going about 3 mph.

My fault...totally trying to watch for the chilrens and not looking DIRECTLY at the asphalt I drive on every day...

No leaks + no vibrations + no weirdness = hopefully no worries. But I think I might have cracked the front skirt, which all things considered, I can fix and forget.

-------->BANG HEAD HERE<---------

20. harpmaster

Zig there is one picture noticeably missing the shot of the back of the head stock:puzzled: Lets see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:baddevil: Oh and watch where you are driving glad your ok