335 Clones

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by T100D, May 2, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Much less expensive than a Bigsby. An idiot can (I am proof) install it. It works pretty good. I have tried GFS Trems, Chinese Bigsby Knock Offs, Import Licenced Bigsby's and US Bigsby's all with and without tension Bars.

I still prefer a non-tension bar US made Bigsby but the LesTrem comes in second place which ain't bad!

Wanna buy the Red Ibby Pesky?

Mickey and peskypesky like this.
  2. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Want? Yes. Can? No.

I'm out of work and have too many guitars already!

OMB likes this.
  3. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

Back to your original post, I would def look into the higher end Ibanez, they are fantastic and necks to die for. If you are into modding the lower end ones are a great platform.
    As far as the Epiphone es339 pro goes..........stay far away from them. I have one with the p90s, the p90s are great, but it will need new tuners and a nut, some fret work. The f holes on mine were crazy sloppy. The neck needs adjustment every other week or so, it moves a lot with the slightest change in humidity or temp, like if you breath to heavy in the room the neck bows......its that bad. They also call it a slim taper neck........um no, its not. its 21mm at the first fret and has wide hip, the most extreme C profile I have ever seen. I have come to like it but I can never depend on it so I never gig with it.
    Also check out the Hagstrom and Hofner offerings, they make some great semi hollow guitars.

tobijohn, Mr. Leyvatone and OMB like this.

4. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I hear ya. Selling off my guitars is/has been like giving up one's kids for adoption. I hope they go to a player, but not much control over that. The Ibbies are so so sweet.

5. Don Wiklund

Don Wiklund Well-Known Member

Every bit as good as the Ibanez JSM100 at a few hundred bucks less the MIJ Yamaha SA2200 is well worth checking out.

2d92ec0306f1f210e5e44d31b4e99b08._.jpg

If you decide to look at higher end 339 sized semis make sure to consider the Prestige level Ibanez AM205. I've got an 83 that I've had since new. The old ones do come up on the net occasionally for somewhere around $500-$600 less than new.

1a526c7ecc1643ed24fe5c8c11e127af._.jpg

On the other hand, as I was saying in another thread there are lots of high quality lower dollar offerings out there that with perhaps a little tinkering will do the job just as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    toomanycats, peskypesky and jam like this.
  6. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

And Hagstrom uses nice I-beam shaped truss rods which makes necks very strong even in thin necks. I had a Tremar Viking. It was too big for me, so feel any 335 style. But played nice.

I would tell myself to find something with a backside control cover plate. Would make semi-hollow pup swaps a lot easier...or plug in technology within pup cavity. I'm going to start leaving a long tail in my semi-h pup cavities and wrap excess leads around the pup legs, or something like that.

nomadh, tobijohn and peskypesky like this.
  7. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Back in the 1960's Hagstrom always claimed they were "H" beam neck braces. :)
    Whatever they actually were they were great.
    This is my 1965 Hagstrom Viking I with an "H" beam truss rod, which has never needed adjusting since
    I bought it from George Gruhn in 1980.

65Hag-1.jpg

8. golem

golem Well-Known Member

The easiest ones to find good deals on are Ibanez 335 variants. You probably won't have to change pickups if you get one with Super 59s. Eastman Jazz boxes are quite nice, but you'd probably want to change the pickups and deals have been harder for me to find. Heritage are also nice, again I'd change the pickups on the one I tried. The Heritage is better quality than most Gibson 335 and typically cheaper. Peerless might be an option if you can find one.

peskypesky likes this.
  9. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Nice , Mickey. Made in Sweden. Not many guitars made there any more.
    Yes , "H". I was pretty close, like a stumpy capital "I" laying on its side.

I still have my Asian made HJ800 that I love. Thats got the H truss rod, too.

peskypesky and Mickey like this.
  10. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I forgot about Peerless. They look like sweet guitars for the coin.

11. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

I bought a lefty, right after you got yours. Used at GC. Mine has seen a lot of love aka, been played a shyte tone. It's a fabulous sounding guitar with quite a few knicks and scratches, but it's among my favorites. All stock too.

peskypesky likes this.
  12. Randell

Randell Active Member

Mine is not made anymore. Highland. Bigsby and master volume not shown but was standerd on all guitars. Mine is red. Reminds me of Back To The Future. But the headstock is not Gibson. Same block inlays. I will show the blond I want too. If I find it.

HEG-500body.jpg HEG-500.jpg higg.jpg HEG-500bodyB.jpg HEG-510.jpg HEG-510bodyB.jpg HEG-510pups.jpg HEG-510body.jpg

peskypesky and PsychoCid like this.
  13. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Those Highland look nice

peskypesky likes this.
  14. Randell

Randell Active Member

Don't they though. And the blond I want it too. But I own the red. Bigsby and master volume not shown but was standerd.

15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

f979f869d66bca8362cd86191c7a27e6.jpg