A Few More Firefly Colors Just Popped Up On Amazon

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by JAMES SCHAFFNER, Jul 6, 2019.

1. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

Well, it arrived today. It came doubled boxed with the foam sleeve. I also got a cloth covered cable that crackles a little when plugged in and it moves, some picks, and a pick holder. The color is nice! After a quick look over for any damage, I began looking closer.
    IMG_2707.JPG

This one came better than the other 2 that I had picked up used, in that it doesn’t really need much of anything. The fret ends are good on this one, and I’m only going to round the edges a bit because I liked the way they feel on the others after I did them, not because it needs it. The fretboard is a little dry and has the same white (I think it’s polishing compound) marks in the pours that most people are showing. One minor finish flaw is that the binding is a little rough on the neck at the neck pickup (pictured below). The neck was so straight that there was fret buzz at the first 3 frets, but a loosening of the rod helped. The nut seems to be cut well, I’ll probably slightly widen the slots to help with any binding, but they don’t need to be any deeper. There’s a gouge in the nut on the headstock side that is perpendicular to the slots (pictured below). It’s not hurting anything, but it looks kinda bad. There’s a dark spot on the bass side of the headstock that looks like a knot in the wood (pictured below). I don’t mind it. The neck feels just like the other 2 to me. The profile feels like my Classic Vibe Telecaster, but maybe a tad thicker. Nut width is 1.67” (42.5mm). Neck thickness is measuring .85” (21.7mm) at the 1st fret and .92” (23.5mm) at the 12th fret.
    IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

The body measures 18-3/4” (about 47.5cm) long, 11-1/8” (about 28.3cm) across upper bout, 15-3/8” (about 39cm) across the lower bout, and 1-3/4” wide at the strap button. The back has a very nice grain pattern to it, the front is not bad, but not as good. The binding in the f-holes is a little rough on the inside, again, not a bother to me. This bridge doesn’t seem to rattle as much as the other 2 did, but it does still rattle, and for some odd reason, the d-string will not intonate correctly. It’s read flat at the 12th, and the saddle is all the way forward. I still have a roller bridge (I ordered 2 last time for the Dillion), so that will fix that. The speed knobs were pressed all the way to the body on arrival, so I had to pull them up a bit to be able to use them. Everything works as it should and sounds ok. The pickup covers are vibrating just like the other 2, making them microphonic. I may change them later on, just like the other 2.
    IMG_2712.JPG

Overall, I got another decent one. After adjusting the truss rod, there’s no fret buzz and it doesn’t seem to have any high frets. Of course, the strings turned my fingers black immediately. They’ll be changed with the bridge in a few days. It needs some Well-Hung Pro-pins, that I’ll order with another strap, maybe next month. So far, I've only done 2 minor mods the 1st was planned, a Well-Hung switch chip, and the 2nd was the knobs off my Agile Al3100 which had already been replaced.
    IMG_2719.JPG

2. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking guitar, Brian. I'm a sucker for blue guitars.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  3. BrianSkeezer

Me too. In fact, I took a family photo of the blues here today. IMG_2718.JPG

4. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Brian, that is one fine looking stable of BLUE guitars. Very nice!!!!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  5. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Love it!! Time to go play... some... blues!!!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  6. artandsoul

artandsoul Well-Known Member

theres some blue ones on ebay for 139.00 new shipped same as amazon, its the same seller than sells the amazon returned fireflys for 106.00 shipped, i snagged a matte black and a gold last week for 106.00 each shipped they had no damage anywhere, 1 had a high fret and other had a pickup cover loose from the base but we know the pickups are crappy so no worrys. he has some natural colored one right now for 106 shipped they wont last long im sure.
    if you can fix the frets or get over a flaw issue its worth the 106.00 shipped for sure!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/fjmari5/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Partscaster and BrianSkeezer like this.
  7. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Arrived today. I see nothing wrong with this guitar for even twice the price, probably more. These frets are nice, no problems, no sharp edges at all, action was a bit high but cranked down the bridge in 15 seconds. Bridge is buzzing, i don't think it's the wire but will check it out later. Some rough edges inside the f holes, 2 minutes with a file will cure that. 6 lbs, 11 ozs. Other than that. tuners are ok, 14-1 but mine have no slop or play, for now they are staying put. Wife is sleeping for 3rd shift so no jamming tonight. I'll probably swap to A5, just a habit but it will let me take it apart and see other things.

I think the neck is rather thin, maybe like a SG? Small bit of neck dive with regular strap. I think full sized pots and a good switchcraft jack will add a oz or 2.

20190715_182111.jpg 20190715_182235.jpg 20190715_182249.jpg 20190715_182501.jpg

8. BrianSkeezer

Update....

I changed the strings and bridge a couple days ago. This thing stays in tune much better now, as I expected it would. I've also had enough of the squealing pickups under gain with some volume, so I decided to change them out today. I had the G&B's out of my AL3100 laying in a drawer, and I remembered how bright and clear the bridge pickup sounded in that guitar, but I also remembered how I didn't like the neck pickup much. I figured I'd try them anyway, so they're in there. I think they work very well in this guitar, and it is much better sounding with the lower output. Even the neck pickup sounds great to me in this guitar. The best part is NO MORE SQUEALING! Man I like it when things happen to come together! :hearteyes:<--- This was my face on the first strums today after changing them out.

DonM, tobijohn, fullonshred and 3 others like this.
  9. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Those ears... I don't know about those.

& that un-crowned fret.

I'll keep my powder dry for a DC.