A Hypothetical Question About Roguish Bandmate Activity

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by toomanycats, Oct 8, 2019.

?

A bandmate turns down your amp on stage during a performance. Do you . . .

1. Turn it back up!

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. Pack up your stuff and leave the stage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Be adult and professional by grinning and bearing it, then address the issue latter.

31 vote(s)
    72.1%
  1. DanOH

DanOH Well-Known Member

Are you SURE that he turned you down???
    He was fiddling around behind you for sure, but it looks like he was already standing up before your volume dropped. How could there be a delay (even a short one)? Could it have just been a weird coincidence?

oops, was typing when you posted above....never mind

2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Absolutely positive. Immediately after he turned me down my volume seems to go up momentarily, though this is only because the rest of the band pauses on bar 10 of the turnaround.

despiadado and nomadh like this.
  3. DanOH

DanOH Well-Known Member

That's tough man. Like ,trying to take away Grandpa's car keys tough.
    He screwed up and you have audible proof.

toomanycats, despiadado and manco53 like this.

4. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

I didn't hear any difference in volume. You're overreacting; everyone work on not looking like they're scared to death. Also, there was more room on the stage, spread out.

5. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I would just state to him that him turning down your volume is unacceptable, and he should wait between songs and ask you whatever he wants to ask. Maybe he needs hi-fi ear plugs, or to stand on other side of stage.

glasshand and Mr. Leyvatone like this.
  6. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s balls

Turning the table around here; what if you stopped playing during his harmonica solo, leaned over and Turned down the volume on his boosta grande and his other two gain pedals. And then stood back upright and politely tapped on his shoulder and said “ I turned you down”. Lol WTF

If you have a band leader, then he should reign in this kind of behavior. Besides that it’s annoying, distracting, and just rude. It’s unprofessional even in the hypothetical situation that you were “too loud”. It’s better addressed between songs. No one should be messing with the mix mid set or during songs (much less messing with each other’s equipment). That’s what sound check is for. Bedsides all that they clearly need to turn you UP

On another note that’s some damn fine playing. Rock on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Finish the set like an adult.

After:

“If I am going to continue to be a part of this band we need to agree on who is going to be in charge of the mix levels and they need to be out in front of the stage, not on stage or to the side of the stage. No one else messes with levels.”

8. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly your membership in the band is still relatively recent. That makes things extra tricky.

During practice we jokingly tell each other to turn the f*ck down - but our tenure, personal dynamics and instrument-to-mix awareness allows us to do that. When we do play a gig (maybe six a year), a look, raised eyebrow, or gentle needle will handle it. I got too hot on Saturday night and knew it right away without anybody needing so say a word (which, of course, they did after the song - in sailor-mouthed unison - but all in good nature).

You were not too loud and he should not have touched your amp without consulting you. Shame on him for not knowing that.

Further, "the video or tape doesn't lie." If you can send the band an extended clip, I am confident that some self-policing and band awareness would come of it.

The "new guy" role is the hitch. If the situation was reversed and you turned down his amp (which you wouldn't), I am confident that a sharp word or two would have been made and your dismissal might be considered.

9. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As a young man, I really held a grudge, and I would have had a ton of mean-spirited fun with a guy like that. You see, I went to an all-male school for six years and I quickly learned how to get even and totally get away it. Cool as a cucumber.

It's all about getting to the man's last nerve while he's in front of an audience.
    The bigger the ego the better.

My favorite: while the Fiddler is out of the room taking a leak or otherwise predisposed, casually remove and shit-can his strap. Then rush to get the set started while he's trying to figure out what the hell happened and what to do next. Shrug: "I guess someone stole it... hell, look, I'm missing a damn tuner!" Report back on how the poor schmuck solves the problem.

Twiddling knobs to extreme settings on stomp boxes is another mean trick. I love to duck and watch for the resulting "surprise" during the big moment when the button gets pushed.

I do think, though, that two amiable guitar players who understand amps and guitar tones should be willing to have one play his ass off and bark orders while the other dials in two or three tasty tones on the amp. You can get good sounds quickly that way. My kind of fun. During rehearsals, of course.

I play with a stand-up bass player who is always using the "house" amp, and he welcomes the help setting up the amp while he plays pre-gig. Sure, he tweaks it a little more later, but he relies on the electric guitar players who know amps to get him in the ballpark in short order.

So, in the right setting, don't get all hung up on letting someone mess with your amp a little - hell, take turns twiddling each others knobs!

jimytheassassin and toomanycats like this.
  10. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

We just had an uncomfortable confrontation with him about how the entire rest of the band waits on him for sometimes up to two and a half minutes between songs while he fidgets with equipment and the audience anxiously waits. The last few shows the rest of the band has started beginning the next tune without him and he comes in whenever. So I don't really want to encourage him to engage in conversation between songs.

He is the band leader.

That all sounds good in theory and it is sound practice. However, when there are people on stage who can tap their foot and boost their own backline levels 20 or 30 db or more, and they will do so without discretion and proper judgement, all bets are off. That is the stuff of nightmares for a soundman. But imagine that the soundman is that same guy, and he has the board right on stage in front of him, and he's mixing it on the fly in the middle of performing. As was said above, somebody needs to take away grandpa's "car keys," though I don't have the authority to do so.

I'm not worried about the precariousness of my position. From the beginning I realized that it wasn't my band and that I'm not in charge. I was cool with that because despite that charter I thought it was an environment that would allow me to be what I am . . . an expressive bluesy lead guitar player who understands his role in a band, which is to support the whole, especially the vocalist, while providing exciting instrumental punctuation. I've done that without showboating, trying to be the center of attention, or be the loudest guy. I "stay in my lane." But now it seems like I won't be allowed to be even that. So as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing worth fighting for. If I'm out, it's no loss.

I completely agree, and that would be welcome by me. However, and I hate to say this because it sounds so awful and is also personally painful . . . this was like an act of intentional sabotage of my performance and my sound. It is painful because I like this guy and thought he liked me. Since coming on board I've done everything I can to make his band better. I've practiced my ass off to learn their set list. I know their songs better than they know them. The audience response to me has been very positive. Apart from what I contribute on stage, I help loading, setting up, and breaking down all the gear. I was one of the only guys to help him with construction and the wiring of the bands new practice room. After all of this, it hurts that he would do me like that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Find a new singer. :) Easier said than done. Maybe ask why he turned you down to an inaudible level as judicious as possible. Or just ride it out.

12. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Dude’s just a fucking hater. Time to bag these amateurs

13. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

looks like a classic control move to me. i know the type...

good on you for playing through it and not making a scene.

i'll just say if he's the kind of "band leader" i think he might be, then even if you agree that he keeps his hands off your amp, he'll move on to something else

good luck!

minpind, toomanycats and jhull54 like this.
  14. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

I would turn it back up, if I'm being honest.

You have the luxury of the video to review with the band. I would watch it with them and just note that the sound was better before you got turned down. Suggest that any adjustments like that should be made between songs in consultation with the player so you don't suspect your gear is failing.

Touching my wife's ass is a non-starter... even if she has sand, icing sugar or fairy barf stuck to her... same with my knobs. Tell me... I'll do the diddling.

15. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Any chance it was just an immature prank, like he was just fucking with you? And if not, is there any chance that he recently made friends with your neighbors?

16. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Oh so he’s the leader. Well I guess that helps to explain why your band has so many tasty blues tunes in your set. It sounds like the other band members are also not enjoying his direction and choices. Getting into band drama and personality conflicts sucks when all you want is to have fun making music. I guess you have to ask yourself. Is this guy ready to let the band grow, or is he too stuck in his own ego to share the stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I would just tell him that you are not interested in being involved in a band where other people are messing with your amp and dealing with band drama. If he doesn’t apologize and promise not to mess with you again...“Thank you for the opportunity, I had a great time, but this doesn’t seem like the best fit for me.”

Then tell the other guys that if they ever split from Jackass or want to play on the side to give you a call.

Keep it professional and friendly, but you are playing for fun and there is no reason to put up with behavior that bothers you.

18. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Throw him out of the band

19. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

It's a control move.

TBH, I think you handled it as well as you could, but I would give him this one "freebie". I would assume he had good intentions but that pulling that move, especially during your solo--and in front of an audience--was disrespectful. You do that between songs, not at that moment. Make him the bad guy, because that's what he is in this situation.

Not knowing all the dynamics, I can't say that his intentions were evil, but from here it looks like he teabagged you, which I would not tolerate past this incident.

tlarson58, glasshand, nomadh and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don’t like it either. Even when I was ear-splitting loud at an open mic, the organizer came to me between songs and politely asked me to turn down.
    Someone messing with your rig WHILE YOU PLAY is a total concentration killer.