A Hypothetical Question About Roguish Bandmate Activity

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by toomanycats, Oct 8, 2019.

?

A bandmate turns down your amp on stage during a performance. Do you . . .

1. Turn it back up!

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. Pack up your stuff and leave the stage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Be adult and professional by grinning and bearing it, then address the issue latter.

31 vote(s)
    72.1%
  1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I've attributed my recent memory lapses to the progressive effects of mad cow disease. Back in the mid-90s I was eating Belgian frites with "amercain" sauce pretty much on a daily basis. For those who don't know what this is, it's raw hamburger mixed with ketchup and mayonnaise. It might sound gross, but it is insanely delicious with salty hot fried potatoes wrapped in a newspaper cone. I won't be really concerned about it until I start forgetting the solo to "Heartbreaker" or the lyrics to the first six Van Halen records.

jtcnj and Chocol8 like this.
  2. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Unless I am forgetting something, there were only 6 Van Halen records!

toomanycats likes this.
  3. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Awesome! Many times all this can be solved over a beer or two. It’s worth a shot anyways. In the end, the band chemistry just needs to be cohesive. All things are possible from there.

It sounds like you have a lot to offer. You’ve given them a taste. Now it’s time to see if they want the whole enchilada

In response to your wife’s question;
    FWIW I have one friend now who understands this whole AGF enigma. My friend Al and I got to meet @Frankenfretter aka Sean and Al sees what it’s all about now. We had a great time meeting up. Sure most of us have never met but many of us are kindred spirits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    toomanycats and ID10T like this.

4. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Are you in Oregon or is Sean in NY? I sent him a "care package" the other day and the tracking info says they left it on his front porch at 8:48 this morning.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  5. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

I’m in central NY but Sean was in my region here for his sisters graduation. The night we met up was extra funny because it was a college party where we all had to draw “names” from a bowl and wear the name tags for the evening. Al drew “Jimmy Martin” (the country singer). The irony is that’s my name too. LOL. we had a good laugh about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Finally got to listen - nice playing!!

toomanycats likes this.
  7. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Can you mic individual instruments at practice for a quick recording (don't worry too much about the srums) and demonstrate that evening what can be done with some simple eq corrections?

nomadh likes this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Then record the eq session and show me because I know the concept but not a clue how to hear it and know what to do

9. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

We don't mic amps at practice. We recently moved our practice space from a medium sized living room to a shed that's maybe 8' X 12'. It's five guys in that little room including a drummer who worships Zep and tries his damndest to hit as hard as Bonzo. Since we're already doing everything we can to restrain our volume at practice, micing amps would be nonstarter. I do however agree with the point you're making about the efficacy of eq adjustments.

Update update:

The drummer came over to my house last night and we talked for a long time. Very interesting guy. While I'm the youngest one in the band, he's the oldest, in his early 60s. He's fanatical about drums the same way many of us are about guitars. He told me a story about buying out the whole cymbal inventory of a music store that went out of business and UPS had to send a truck entirely filled with just his Zildians and Paistes. So he's nutty about drums on that kind of level.

Regarding the band, he and I are on the same page about many of the issues. He wants the band to present itself more professionally, wants to assign parts to the player able to perform them the best, and wants to get peoples egos out of the mix.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Lefty Leo, sabasgr68, nomadh and 2 others like this.