A Tale Of Two Al-3010se Custom Selects (strange Pickup Discovery)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobijohn, Jun 30, 2019.

1. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a couple of Custom Select AL-3010SEs last year but just recently got around to swapping out the stock pickups. The first one I did a few weeks ago (CSB plain top Wide), did not have the typical no name Alnico 5 pickups. Instead, these ones had nickel/silver baseplates and while four wire leads, they also had a different wiring scheme with the black/white for the coil split, red lead and green/bare ground (every four wire Agile humbucker previously has had the red/white tied off).

Last night, I replaced the pickups in the second Custom Select (purple burst quilt) but these ones were completely different. They had the brass baseplates and two wire leads and whether they were actually A5s, I have no idea. Both guitars were part of the same order so it's kind of strange that the pickups would be different types. Previously, the only Agile humbuckers with two wire leads were the ones with ceramic magnets in the 2000 series guitars and an oddball G&B set out of a new style AL-3100M or AL-3200 (I can't recall which).

I didn't check the resistance on them yet but will later and post...

2. tobijohn

P1030227.JPG P1030228.JPG

Lefty Leo likes this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Veddddddy Interestink.

Sound differences?

4. tobijohn

The ones in the CSB sounded great, and I actually considered leaving them stock. But that's not my deal although I'll be putting hem into something else (maybe a spare AL2K). I can't recall what the ones in the purple quilt sounded like as I only briefly played it when it initially arrived to make sure everything was working. The pots in both were the same (brass shaft Alphas) and the wiring style was the same too (grounds from both pickups to the bridge volume pot, toggle switch ground to the the bridge tone pot)...