Acoustic Electric W/mustang Iii?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by oldtone, Jul 11, 2018.

1. oldtone

oldtone Well-Known Member

Anyone tried an AE into a Mustang III? The 'o' amp setting is 'studio pre-amp'. Would that work with an acoustic electric? I'm thinking about getting an Eastman AC322CE, but the only amp I have that's not a tube amp is Mustang III V2. Thanks, Bob

2. oldtone

Bummmp!

3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Nope, but I do it almost daily into a Mustang 1 :)

4. oldtone

Maybe a III is up to the task. I hope.. I hope.

Mickey likes this.
  5. oldtone

Mickey, what amp model do you use for AE with you Mustang I? I literally just bought the Eastman AC322CE. With that and the recent purchase of a Blueridge BR140A, I'm tossing some real money around. But 15 percent off the Blueridge and 10 off the Eastman helps. Dooh!! Or is that Dohhhh?

STACKS likes this.
  6. T100D

T100D Active Member

Bear in mind that the Gianninni Craviola which I use is a much lighter sounding guitar than your regular flat-top acoustic, and I have a Fishman NeoD Humbucker soundhole pickup with no preamp (as yet). On my Mustang iii v2 I get a reasonable sound using the Studio Preamp with a touch of Ranger Post Gain and a spot of Small Room Reverb in the back end. I'm using the 2x12C cabinet and no noise gate.
    Gain 5, Volume 10, Treble 5, Mid 7, and Bass 8, but obviously that won't apply to your setup …
    The Post Gain seems to warm things up nicely, although I have to dial back the Bright knob quite a bit, as the Craviola is already pretty bright in itself.
    Hope this helps—the speaker options really make a difference, so get your basic balance with no speaker and then tweak …

7. oldtone

Thanks for the reply T100D! The guitar shipped this morning. Haven't used the Mustang in some time. Been using my Allen V18. It's the original kit version of David Allen's 'Sweetspot'. I've never had an AE guitar. Something new.

8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I have the mustang floor and have used my ew series ibanez a/e acoustic. I don't have an acoustic setting on mine but many have been "interesting" a few sounded very acoustic and would work fine. Try different settings and you should find a few things you'll like.

9. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I use regular amps with my Ovation VXT all the time. It doesn't actually sound all that different from an acoustic amp.

Edit: Use a setting with no distortion and as much headroom as possible.