Acoustic Electronics Question:

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by rrobbone, Mar 28, 2019.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest acoustic electronics guy, so I though I'd run this past you guys:

A friend is having an issue with his Taylor acoustic. Ever since he got it, it sometimes had this weird pingy sounding overtone ringing out periodically - on the G, if I recall correctly. He's taken it in on several occasions, but never to any real satisfying result.

Well, it's doing this all of the time now so he has taken it into the shop. He asked the tech what brand to go with if he were to replace the electronics totally, but the tech apparently isn't allowed to make recommendations. It's been though three visits to the tech (that I know of), and they haven't been able to fix it.

He mainly uses the guitar for personal playtime, but he'd really like to play it in a weekly worship setting - since that's what he bought the silly thing for.

Any ideas what could be causing it (is it even the electronics)?

If you were you completely replace the stock electronics in a rather nice Taylor acoustic, what would you go with?

2. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

3. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

It sounds like your friend needs a new tech. 3 visits and no clue what’s causing the issue, not allowed to make recommendations...

My advice would be to take it to a different shop.

4. rrobbone

Any recommends for brand to redo the entire electronics if it should come to that?

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

And why do we think it has something to do with the electronics? Does it happen only when amplified? Only the G string? Open or fretted? If fretted, all frets or just certain ones ones?

A few places I'd check... make sure the saddle is seating right... check the nut slot for proper width, angle, and make sure there isn't anything in there that shouldn't.. if it only happens when plugged in, replace the battery. A low battery can do all sorts of silly things.

If it really is in the electronics, seems that should be covered under warranty. If he is determined to put new electronics in it, I'd put in something like a K&K and just leave the stock electronics in tact.

howardlo65 likes this.
  6. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

@rrobbone does it have the Expression System? If so, I know exactly what the problem is because my wife's Taylor had the same issue and when you hear how stupid and simple it is to fix you'll kick yourself. I was looking into replacing electronics in her's because of this, too. I mentioned it to a very knowledgeable guitar tech in town and he told me what it was within seconds of me explaining the problem. I checked when I got home and he was dead on.

The body sensors are also magnets and the one under the bridge most likely has at least one ball-end from a broken string stuck to it. Have your friend loosen the strings, reach in under the bridge, and feel around. I hope that's it!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    nomadh, backinit and stormin1155 like this.
  7. rrobbone

Yes, amped only. It may be there acoustically, but I couldn't hear it. Taylor has been jerking him around on the warranty, which seems to be counter to what I've heard about them. I think the dealer is the culprit here, but I'm not there when he's dealing with them.

I don't think he's tried this. I messaged it to him. Hopefully that's it, 'cause it's a great guitar otherwise.

RiverDog likes this.
  8. rrobbone

Meh, that's not it. He's already checked that.

Anything else?

9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It could be that the nut was not cut right. If you don't ramp it back toward the tuners you will get that weird pingy kind of sitar sound. This is what I would suspect first. I also agree that he needs a second opinion because the tech should have figured it out by now if hes worth his salt.

10. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

unless its been VERY abused, if its truly a taylor. the ONLY thing that might go wrong with the electronics, dead battery.
    seriously, Ive had some GREAT guitars in my life, but EVERY taylor I have EVER picked up has been flawless.
    That being said, you can abuse them to the point that theyre worthless, you could run around an area like Orlando with no AC the windows down and storing it on the back porch.
    otherwise they are amazing guitars

11. rrobbone

Nah, this is a dude that takes care of his stuff - plus: this is the guitar he uses for worship leading. It's super nice, save that one irritating little flaw.

12. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Why not contact Taylor. If it is under warranty...maybe a return?

13. rrobbone

I've suggested this to him, I'm not sure what the deal is on the warranty. He's not the kinda guy to not see that as an option, so there must be an issue there. I'm guessing that due to the way the store has treated him that it's on them. The store has a poor rep as far as customer service is concerned.

OMB likes this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Or kick the tech who had it 3 times. That's wild. Also if not that call taylor tech support. I think they work hard to get this type of thing solved. Sometimes taylor goes on tour and they fix old Taylor's on the he spot. Even reset necks.