Advice Needed, Affordable 4x12 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps' started by RiverDog, Jan 6, 2020.

1. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Dudes... I stopped by Sam Ash yesterday tested out some gear. I asked to have a go through the new-ish Marshall DSL1HR (which is awesome!) and the sales nerd hooked it up to a 1960A cab. That was my first 4x12 experience in quite some time and now I NEED that big sound in my life, so I'm looking at 4x12 cabs for sale locally. A 1960 or (ideally) a Mesa Recto cab would be amazing but I'm seeing more reasonable prices on B52, Crate Blue Voodoo, and Peavey Windsor cabs. Any experience or opinions on these, or suggestions for others?

Note: I'd really prefer a slant cab.

I've read that the Blue Voodoo cabs came with V30s at one point so that would be great. I reached out to the seller for more info but he said he's out of town and can't give me any more info until Thursday.

Thoughts?

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. RiverDog

Bump!

BTW, I played a 2018 Gibson Firebird Studio with P90s through the above setup and man was it hard to walk away from that guitar! Somehow that was my first go with a Firebird in my 50 years on this planet. So good!

Also tried out the 2019 Les Paul Jr DC which was killer. I wish they'd make them at that price point without the hideous pickguard/front route setup!

Finally, why are Gibson P90s so incredible?? Is it just me?

Mr. Leyvatone likes this.
  3. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

A slant cab will sound thinner..

slaveunit likes this.

4. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

The Windsor is MDF, I think, 2hich may be a negative in your mind. The stock speakers are Chinese made Greenback sort of copies.

Peavey 5150/6505 cabs are built like brick outhouses, out of thick birch ply. The speakers are supposedly voiced like beat-up Greenbacks

Standard Peavey cabs from before the 5150 days are also tough as nails. You can add the speakers you want.

Another candidate if you can find one used in your area is a Traynor cab. These are also exceptionally well built.

fullonshred and RiverDog like this.
  5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

There is a slight difference between the sound of a slant vs. the bottom cab. I happen to like both.

Crates are like the Marshall's, in cabinet build. Are you getting one loaded or unloaded (no speakers)?

I recommend you look for a second hand 4x12 in craigslist or FB Marketplace. These are usually at a fraction of what you pay new. Especially that the 'small amp' is still the trend.

6. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

I paid $400 for a well worn Marshall 1960.

Anywhere in the $400-$500 range is totally reasonable and you should be able to find one for that.

RiverDog likes this.
  7. RiverDog

I've definitely seen one or two 6505 cabs for sale but had ignored them after reading negative comments on various forums. I'll take another look at those. Thanks!

8. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Got no input as far as the makes, etc. but around here I see 4x12's on CL periodically, some gutted, some full, for stoopid prices. If you got a decent scene locally I bet 1 would show up eventually.

I've thought about grabbing one but wtf would i do with it. It just becomes another albatross around my neck.

bc rich, fullonshred and RiverDog like this.
  9. RiverDog

I'd prefer loaded if I can find one. Yep I'm looking at CL, FB Marketplace, Letgo, etc. Thanks Rob!

jimytheassassin and andrewsrea like this.
  10. RiverDog

Apparently I collect albatrosses :expressionless::rolleyes:

11. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you are talking old Traynor 4x12's, they are very well built. But if it's old it will have Marsland speakers which rate a 1 on a scale of 10. Buy the empty cab if the price is right.

RiverDog likes this.
  12. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I agree about buying used (I see 4x12s go for a song up here in NYC, because so few people want them these days) but if you do want to buy new, take a look at Harley Benton - their G412A is a slant cab and it's only $185 new! Shipping may end up costing you a lot, though.
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g412a_gitarrenbox.htm

Believer and RiverDog like this.
  13. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

My first advice would be to get over the urge and not buy one! There is a reason so many used ones are going so cheap. Actually multiple reasons.

4x12’s are big and heavy and have major issues with beaming certain frequencies, comb filtering, and major changes in tone off axis. They are a soundman’s worst nightmare. The reason they exist at all was because in the 1960’s Celestion speakers could barely handle 15-25 watts each before self destructing. Marshall needed to spread the amp output over multiple drivers just to make them work. That hasn’t been true for decades, and slow to accept change guitarists have really started to catch on. The trend will never reverse. If you buy one now, do so knowing that it’s used market value will plummet and continue to do so.

That said, if you really want one, buy used and buy quality. Listen to enough of them to decide what you want, as a Marshall and a Mesa loaded with the same drivers can still sound surprisingly different. Drivers obviously make a very big difference as well. I would normally tell you drivers (speakers) are easy to change, but in today’s market, you can often buy a used 4x12 cheaper than buying 4 of the speakers in it, also used! So, buy the right one with the right speakers if you can.

14. mark_morton

mark_morton Well-Known Member

I paid $350 for a used Mesa 4x12 oversized slant cab. I'm sure you can find one too if you're patient enough. Like mentioned above, CL and FB marketplace are a good place to find deals if you look hard enough. Even GC used section might have deals to be found.

RiverDog likes this.
  15. RiverDog

I was actually looking at the G412A Vintage which is $373. The shipping is actually crazy cheap. $34.59 from Deutschland to my door.

andrewsrea and glasshand like this.
  16. RiverDog

I realize they are going the way of the dodo but, THAT BIG SOUND THOUGH, BRO! :LOL:

I'm not a gigging guitarist and don't plan on spending much so I should be okay. Thanks for the feedback!

Mr. Leyvatone and Jaymo like this.
  17. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I would go Benton 212 with V30s...you may already have one.
    My buddy just picked up a H&K and has been looking or listening to speakers. He was at my house yesterday playing his head through my cab..pretty sure he is going V30 now unless a deal on something similar pops up.
    The Benton cab isn't as nice sounding as an orange or mesa, but it's pretty good.

18. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that one too which is a damn good deal for four V30s. Surprised to hear that the shipping is so cheap, but it definitely makes HB an options. I've got the HB 2x12 with the V30s and I like it a lot although I rarely have an opportunity to use it. I agree with what @Chocol8 says about 4x12s being pretty impractical and unnecessary for pretty much any application these days, but there is still something about more cone area that is just hard to replicate from a "punch in the gut" perspective.

19. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I think I saw a video on them and the loaded cab is cheaper than you could can buy the speakers alone.

RiverDog likes this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

I don't have a 412, but I was given a free 410 and a free bass amp, by one of my customers.