Advice On Trading In At Gc

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Hoser, Oct 15, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

What chance? I sell stuff on Reverb all the time and a have had good luck. Same with the Bay. Make sure you check every detail regarding your gear and determine that everything works properly. If not get it fixed first. Pack it carefully and you still probably won';t get any more than 55-60% what you paid if it was new. Ask anymore and then you need to be a patient person.

2. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

You will get fifty cents on the dollar of fair market value. They need to make a profit on resale. If you are okay with that then go for it. If you want more then I suggest Reverb. When I have wanted to move a piece I look at the prices of the same item and make mine the lowest. Even if it's just $10 if someone is apt to buy what you are selling chances are they will choose the cheapest one.

OMB and Stig like this.
  3. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

I'm with the "don't trade in" crowd. Photo-document it well, be sure to include an accurate description including flaws, Sell it on ebay, package it well, make sure you have the funds in hand before shipping. If you have a $350 agiles they are going to offer you something like $100 and tell you it just isn't worth anything.

I also agree with what @Stig said. You could upgrade until you are blue in the face, but it's still "Just an Agile" by market standards.

Stig likes this.

4. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

What are you selling? And for how much? Did you scout online to see what the guitars are going for in your market?

I won't trade in because most places will offer 50 cents on the dollar. There is nothing wrong with that -- they have to make money off the sale, they have overhead, etc. Even if you went between their offered price and what you were hoping to get, you come out ahead of a trade in value.

Don't be afraid to take a good, critical look at your ads and compare them to other ads selling similar items. Good, clear pics, accurate descriptions and honest dealing go a long way.

5. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

I like to imagine this scenario when selling anything:

I have the identical item to you. I set a price at which you will buy my item from me. If you don't choose to buy it, you must sell your item to me at the same price - and I must buy it.

That's the price. If I want it gone sooner, I'll lower the price a bit.

I also consider how much "rent" I paid for the item over time. $1000 item I had for 10 years... selling for $600? I "rented" it for $40 per year.... that's pretty good. I'd probably lower that price even more.

nomadh, solteroblues and tobijohn like this.
  6. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Sounds like guessing, but with extra steps :)
    It's not a bad rule of thumb, but the market doesn't always behave based on your wants or needs. Your item may be more (or less) valuable to you than some buyer out there.

Sounds like a reverse sunk cost fallacy. My realtor tried using this fallacy to get me to sell my house for cheaper (and earning him his commission faster).
    An item is worth what it is worth, regardless of how much you originally paid or how much use you get out of it. False rationalizations will only cause you to mis-price your item.

7. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

Many times... the item is not worth as much as the seller thinks it’s worth. The “method”(?) I outlined helps me let things go without delusion or regret.

honyock likes this.
  8. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

a few of the guitars I'm planning on selling are:

Agile AL-3010 slim profile neck, with hard shell case. Was asking 350.00
    Epiphone ES339 pro, with P90s. Added Grover 18:1 tuners and new bone nut, with hard case, was asking 350.00
    Reverned Warhawk 390, stock, no case. 600.00

I have a few other guitars I would part with, prob keep the Reverend. But I don't think what I was asking is unrealistic. I would be taking a loss on most of the guitars I'm listing, and I"m fine with that. Rather sell local than have to deal with shipping. But may need to reconsider that. I live in central NJ, so i'm not out in the hicks.

9. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Yeah $350 for the AL with case is a bit much, I’m usually able to grab an AL3k with case for under 3 bills (occasionally even closer to $250). I’ve seen the 339 pros go for around $300-$350, Warhawks from $450-$650 with case (so worth a little less without).

When you're trying to sell a guitar that's $400 new and asking $350 (case included or not), it's really not a great deal for someone looking, and the fact is if you want something to sell you have to price it at least slightly below typical market value, not at the top end of the spectrum. People shopping around want to feel like they got a nice price on something and they don't wanna be at the upper end of what these guitars sell for. There is more traffic online with Reverb/Ebay/etc and you might have gotten $350 with the case for an AL3K there (though they usually do go for a little less), but the fees would eat into the profit.

Realistically, I think you'd have a buyer for that AL3010 at around $250-275 locally, around $300 for the 339 Pro, and around $400-$450 for the Warhawk.

10. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

The only Agiles I've ever got more than 60% of new price were discontinued i.e. AX-2 Ghost, LP2500, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mickey likes this.
  11. slowhand84

Yep that sounds about right, I have a silverburst 3100 that I got for $240 from GC with a hard case, Duncan JB in the bridge, and a stainless refret...paid $200 for a custom AS1000, little over $300 for my AL3100MCC (also with a stainless refret, and that price includes a Suhr Aldrich neck pup and Bareknuckle Rebel Yell bridge pup that I purchased for it), $250 for an AS1000 w/ upgraded P90s, etc. Agiles are amazing quality guitars for very little scratch, but money makers they are not :).

12. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

It would take 60% of retail (or more) to get my Agile AS-820.....there will never be another like it. :)

AS820-11.JPG

BrianSkeezer and honyock like this.
  13. slowhand84

That's a beauty Mickey! I've had offers of up to triple what I paid for my custom AS1000 but honestly I wouldn't give it up for a grand, I love the damn thing that much!

2bcac72d041ead4676591913a0149789.jpg

14. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Thanks. Here it is in action with the guy I bought it from. :)

howardlo65 and slowhand84 like this.
  15. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation late in ‘17: I had a bunch of gear that refused to move via eBay or Reverb, and GC was offering...nothing. Literally nothing. We’re a small city and they can only handle so much at a time.

Who knew?

I moved six guitars: four of them I gave as gifts to some kids and a friend of mine who was dealing with way more family life drama on less income than I was. I sold one to my SiL to give as a college grad present to my nephew. Sold another to a kid on Reverb but had to refund the money because UPS understood fragile differently than I’d intended. Reverb paid me the sale price, so there’s that.

Really the hassle of moving stuff has slowed my acquisitions. And it’s not just the barely worth it selling price. It’s that and the fact that priced below the next cheapest like item, it could still sit for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk