After The "new" Wears Off.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fauxsuper, Sep 5, 2017.

1. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Member

I've had one of these for ten years now and the other one was added not too long after. They have become my two favorite guitars, for a number of reasons. They sound different from most strat-type guitars, and I'm thinking the massive maple necks have something to do with that. Also, although I have small hands, the fat bound necks just feel so good. The frets were fairly well done right out of the box, but a little attention to getting them level resulted in a noticeable improvement. The main thing was recutting the nut to get proper string height.

Both of them have Sperzel Tuners and the electronic parts (switches, pots) have been replaced. One has two Smits classic humbuckers, which are low output PAF clones (I have a real one so I know what they sound like). The other one has the pickups from a Fender Roadhouse Strat, which I thought sounded rather generic at first, but I've warmed up to them.

Since I've got them, they've been my main gigging guitars, I'll add another guitar to the rotation every once in a while, but I seem to always come back to these two. Every guitar player has a sound of their own that makes it possible to identify them. For some reason, I hear that more in my own playing with these two.

I remember doing a show at a local college, backing up a female singer, using these two guitars. And a couple of kids came up after we finished and asked me why I played such "cheap" guitars. I replied something to the effect of "Why? Do they sound cheap to you?" They both kind of shuffled around and said: "No". SXTwins.JPG

Niko Souza, needhelp, jjudas and 15 others like this.
  2. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I spent ten minutes trying to compose the snappy comeback to college boys' question, but they all boiled down to "Beat it, kid!"

I wish I knew
    why I play the el-cheapo Liquids and Furrians and the like when I've got real Fenders laying right next to them.

Those two look like great sounding and playing guitars to me.

PsychoCid, toomanycats and despiadado like this.
  3. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Yar. Big necks make big tone. Of course, there's tradeoffs for that.

fauxsuper likes this.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Only place I play out is church, and the kids there are probably too polite to ask such a question. But, if they did, I would most likely respond, "These get the job done... why pay more?".

Jaymo likes this.
  5. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i have one with the rubbed oil finish and p90 and it is glorious!
    all stock aside from the pick up magnets !
    imo not cheap guitars at all, just as good as my MiM fender that cost nearly 8 times as much.

Jaymo likes this.
  6. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I LOVE doing this. It's the ultimate smugness as a player that can throw it down on a cheap guitar. Sometimes people really GET it too which is a vindication. These guitars take a bit of work to make "ours" but when we put in the analysis and time we come to know guitars in general and what makes us work with them.

7. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

It makes me feel like a real greenhorn to admit that I've never seen as SX with that logo or those off-center inlays. Way before my time in Rondoworld.

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

My #1 go-to bass is an SX JMB-62 (Jaguar copy... now called 'Ursa 4').

I stripped the hideous orange off the neck, and reshaped the headstock (it had the old shape, which wasn't bad, but it was huge!). I put my own logo on the headstock and refinished it, first in acrylic, then later in Tru-Oil.

I put a Badass II bridge on it, replaced the pickups with a set from an MIA Jaguar bass, replaced the pots, cap and jack, and had a custom gold PG made for it (on a 3TS finish).

I preferred it over my two Fender Jazz Basses (an MIA and a heavily modded MIM) and my Ric 4003. I've since sold those basses off, but I'd run into a burning building to save that SX Jag.

Jaymo and PsychoCid like this.
  9. Moogster66

Moogster66 Well-Known Member

I would have told them to go to the ATM and go buy me a new American Deluxe Strat for $1500. Then I'd tell them that when they are onstage they can play what they can afford. Then I would tell 'em to go pound sand.

manco53 and Jaymo like this.
  10. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SXsssssssssss!

Jaymo likes this.
  11. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

2Xsx.jpg Both heavily customized.
    Could 2 guitars be more beautiful at ANY price ?

CyFan4036, Jaymo, fauxsuper and 4 others like this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Are those both the oiled finish no poly no filler ash? Maybe thats part of the tone too. Its certainly the most unusual and rare feature of these guitars. Seems quite possible. Could it be the feel is so good it influences your ear? I sure wish Rondo would make all their models without poly. I might have to rebuy my whole collection.

tomringg likes this.
  13. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Member

Those look great. I should have purchased a few more of these.

14. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Member

I've not seen that "shootout" before. The comments section was a real hoot.

I have a 1963 Telecaster Custom that I've owned since the fall of 1965. I once played a "custom shop" replica of it. The Custom Shop was a "Better" guitar than the "real" one in the sense that you could tell that someone had lavished attention to details: finish, pocket fit and all the stuff guitar magazines comment on. Did it also sound better? That would be an open question. The bridge pickup was actually quite brighter, a little closer to what a 50's era tele would sound like. A matter of preference.

It was kind of like someone decided to hand build a replica of a "57" Chevy and sell if for $90,000.

Even when I was a teenager, I knew that my guitar was rather crude compared to say, a Gibson ES355. The bridges were just cut lengths of a threaded rod, and by the time I was in high school, a significant portion of the finished had flaked or worn off. I'd seen the pickup selector switch on an electric fence controller.

But that was the Brilliance of Leo Fender, he figured out how to built a product that would fit the needs of professional musicians, but could be made by people working for an hourly wage in a factory, and thus sold at a price starving musicians could afford. Some people laughed at the "Broadcaster", derisively calling it a "plank" or a "baseball bat bolted to a cutting board". He also came up with something "different" and didn't try very hard to make the guitar sound like a Gibson or some other established electric guitar. (Except for the weird, muffled third position on the switch. ) The instrument was greater than the sum of the parts would suggest.

If you stick to Leo's formula and use halfway decent parts you end up with something similar.

I doubt the difference in actual cost of the parts between a nice MIM Tele or Strat is all that different than a "Made in USA" version. Fender keeps the better stuff for the more expensive guitars.

I've also played a few Tele's that were actually built around the time that mine was, they were common pawnshop guitars in the late 60's and early 70's. None of them sounded all that much alike. You could tell it was a Tele, but there were about the same level of differences than the "shootout" video of the Fender and SX "strats".

With all the obsession with detail amongst vintage recreations of all sorts, I'm surprised the guitars don't come strung with a wound 3rd string and gauges from 12 to 52. (or 13 to 56) When I got my Telecaster someone had strung it with flatwounds. Equipping a guitar with a set with 9's or 10's (all guitars made in the 50's and early 60's were designed to use with heavier gauge strings than are common nowadays, and came from the factory equipped and adjusted for them.) will have more tonal impact than the type of finish or the quality of the saddles.

15. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Nice guitars!

Your story reminds me of when I was in a cover band and the drummer really dug my tone. I was playing out with my 03 PRS McCarty Roswood 10 top (a $3K instrument). One night a bar hand accidentally knocked it off its stand and I caught it milliseconds before it hit critical mass. I decided to not take it to gigs and the next night substituted my Davison SG, with my own wind pups. Before we started, the drummer asked if I had the PRS in backup, which indicated he was skeptical. After the first set, he came to me and said he was amazed that $175 guitar sounded so close to a $3K guitar. I told him it was 70% my abilities, 25% amp, strings & pickups and the rest the plank of wood.

manco53, Jaymo and Manodano like this.
  16. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

At the moment you saw the floor rushing up to meet your PRS, I'll bet a needle couldn't have been driven up your ass with a jackhammer.:eek:

I'm just surprised you didn't kill him and use temporary insanity as a defense.:mad:

minpind likes this.
  17. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Your reply to that kid has officially won the internet.
    Nice SX Strats.

They're not cheap. They're just not hideously overpriced. That's what I love about them.
    My new Liquid sure doesn't look, feel, or sound cheap.

My Ibanez GAX70L is an affordable, albeit apparently solid little guitar.
    Factory pups are hot and do an excellent raunchy, filthy, distorted as hell death metal crunch.
    They don't do clean, period.
    However, after installing the AL-2000 humbuckers I got from Tobijohn, it sounds sweet.
    More like an LP or SG than a death metal special.
    I'm really liking it.
    Factory strings were 9s. I put 10s on it.
    For a guitar that cost me $60.00, I'm amazed at the tone.
    Not amazed at my talent (zero), but the Ibby sounds a LOT better than it did from the factory.
    I'm thinking it was marketed at the beginner death metal guitarist. Original pups were both over 9K.
    The Agile pups are 7.something k and 8.something k dcr.
    As hot as the originals were, they weigh considerably LESS than the Agile pups that replaced them.

18. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

It was surreal and I don't think I've moved so quick. One of those moments like in that James McEvoy movie "Wanted". The bar help was assisting our bass player and it was an honest mistake, so I wasn't mad - especially that I made the save!

Jaymo likes this.
  19. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Definitely a major league save. :thumbsup: