NGD Agile 3100 Purple Black Quilt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artandsoul, Oct 11, 2019.

1. artandsoul

artandsoul Well-Known Member

Im a sucker for purple and quilt finishes and so glad I jumped on this model. I was afraid it would be light color in the middle and black back like my old 3010 pur black but this one kills that my little pony purple 3010. The gold hardware works much better for me than the black hardware.
    weighs 9.11 and does not have any imperfections in finish anywhere looks as clean and nice as my 3200. And as usual without the pickguard looks so much better,
    I wonder are these the same g and b pickups that come in the 3200. they seem really bright and louder compared to the 3200 pickups.
    ill pull one out later when i change strings to see if they are the same. I have a new set of gold gfs fat pats to use in case these stocks pickups were not to my liking but right now they sound good to me. Ill say ive bought a lot of agiles in the past and the 3200 and this one are my fav for fit, finish and weight being under 10lbs 20191011_120402.jpg 20191011_120426.jpg 20191011_120432.jpg 20191011_120613.jpg 20191011_120453.jpg 20191011_120635.jpg 123_1178.JPG

Tsukiyomi, Gergo, Spike and 9 others like this.
  2. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

That looks amazing, HNGD!
    And you're right, so much better than the 3010 with the light colored center.

artandsoul likes this.
  3. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

HNGD! Purpleishious!

artandsoul likes this.

4. Eicca

Eicca Well-Known Member

The only thing I would do is swap for black knobs with gold tops. That thing looks gorgeous!

artandsoul and BrianSkeezer like this.
  5. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

I really like that purple burst variety that Rondo's got going.

Yours has a gorgeous top!

artandsoul likes this.
  6. artandsoul

Much nicer look than the 3010 for sure. I am totally happy with the darker finish than the old one. I didnt even know it was coil taping till trying different knobs on it lol, The stock gold hat knob still look better to me than the others i have tried but ill have more next week to try

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. artandsoul

trying knob some knob colors 20191011_164212.jpg 20191011_164230.jpg

BrianSkeezer and Eicca like this.
  8. AnotherJim

AnotherJim Active Member

Beautious! HNGD!

artandsoul likes this.
  9. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The new style 3100/3200s typically come with G&Bs but perhaps the specs have changed (I haven't bought one of either in a few years). They make the pickups for a lot of big name import versions which would have specs as per the particular brand...

artandsoul likes this.
  10. artandsoul

Maybe these g&b pickups just sound better then the ones that came in the 3200. I changed them out the 3200 after a few hours. Ill put them to the test tomorrow with some real volume and see if they get changed to fat pats or not.

11. tobijohn

I've got that same finish on a custom select 3010SE I ordered last year which has creme plastic, chrome hardware and the coppery gold top hats which are OK but I'll probably go with creme knobs somwhwere down the road. The trick is finding aftermarket creme knobs that match the Agile creme plastic. Personally, with the gold hardware on yours, the black/gold speed knobs work well.

When you get a chance, could you measure the thickness of the body at the edge? My 3010SE is just a hair under 2" and my new style MIK 3100/3200s are around 1 3/4", although my MIV 3100MCC is also just a little under 2". TIA....

artandsoul likes this.
  12. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congrats , that top really pops and the back is the same color that shows the wood , you do not see that very often .

artandsoul likes this.
  13. redman

redman Member Supporting Member+

What a great looking guitar that top is gorgeous!
    I want to get an Agile but gotta either sell a Gretsch I have or save up I've just bought a PRS SE and a Wolf 355. I don't want any more LP's right now thought about a Tele but need to wrap my head around the differences between Agile, SX and Douglas.

artandsoul likes this.
  14. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

15. tobijohn

Agiles are MIK and good to go right out of the box, SX and Douglas will most likely need some work, upgrades and a decent setup but occasionally not...

artandsoul and redman like this.
  16. artandsoul

Its 1 3/4 at edge.
    Yeah you still need to put the black out kit on you purple 3010 like I did the purple with cream trim it looks so much better black than the cream. Your 3010 looks just like this one to me just backwards lol. I cant find any cream knobs that match cream color trims there always to yellow and not really cream.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:39 AM
  17. tobijohn

Yup, the aftermarket creme knobs almost always have that yellowish shade to them. I was able to find a few sets that matched but it was a long time ago and I'll be damned if i can remember where I got them from...

artandsoul likes this.
  18. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice top congrats, I think black goes best with purple or possibly the black with the gold center for the knobs.

artandsoul likes this.
  19. redman

redman Member Supporting Member+

Thank you so much for the info Up until a few years ago I was a guitar snob and if it didn't have Gibson, Fender or other well known brand I didn't even check them out. In fact in the early 80's I bought MIM Strat that I really liked but sold it quickly just because of where it was made. Yes I was a guitar jerk/snob but one night at rehearsal my buddy handed me an Ibanez he had bought for less than $300 and asked me to take it home and do a set up on it. I had to file some sharp edges on the frets and adjust the pups but the neck was spot on and it played and sounded great and from there I finally realized that forgetting name recognition was the best way to experience some of the awesome guitars that are really well made and sound incredible but didn't cost an arm and a leg. That said I am excited about trying different guitars and Agile is on top of my list only problem is you have to pay that credit card bill and I'm a musician so I'm broke and I gotta take it slow. Anyway I want to experience the brand new guitar out of the box so in a few weeks I will most likely spend some money on the Rondo site. Is there an Agile 6 string not a LP style (I have a Gibson LP Studio and a PRS Singlecut) you guys would recommend for a first Agile.

20. tobijohn

I've got plenty of Gibsons (including a custom shop R7) and American Fenders and the Agiles hold their own against them all. If you don't want another LP style then currently there aren't many other options in stock right now. I'm a big fan of the AD-2200 Reissue but it's relatively unique looking and not everybody's cup of tea. However, if you need something with P90s:

https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AD-2200_Nat_Cherry.html

However, these come up for sale used on a fairly regular basis for $200-$250 so if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on Reverb/eBay.

Another interesting model is the Harm. It doesn't appear to be in stock right now but these occasionally come up in the used market too in both a six and twelve string version as well as with humbuckers, P90s and toasters, some with three pickups:

https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Harm1_LPB.html

tvvoodoo and mighty_duck like this.