al 3100 pups

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jp1969, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jp1969

jp1969 New Member

i play alot of different style from metallica to cake (look them up if you dony know them definately a gem in my book) to zeppelin and sabbath, s.o.a.d, pantera will the stock pickups hold up well with different styles? mainly im worried they might be too warm but thats an easy fix. do they sound good with chuncky distortion? also how are the stock pots? most of my guitars have pots that are pretty "all or nothing". do they clean up when you roll the volume back? regardless of the pickups this will be my first agile so im trying to figure out in advance wjat will need upgraded as i have no previous experience with them.

2. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The stockers in the AL3*** are Alnico 5, so they will sound somewhat warmer than a ceramic generally speaking. That said, the pickups are pretty darn decent, and can handle a wide variety of styles. The pots are full sized Alpha pots, and they work just fine. I don't think you'd be doing yourself any favors by replacing them with CTS pots, but that's just my personal opinion.

If you don't like them, there's plenty of folks on here who have pickups they'd be happy to trade you for your stock pickups, I'm sure. Good luck with your purchase!

3. wurstburst

wurstburst Well-Known Member

The stock pickups are great. Whether you'll like them for metal is a bit of personal preference. I find they work well from clean to crunch to high-gain distortion, but I don't play a ton of scooped-mids metal stuff (sounds good when I do though).

Some metal guys like to use lower output Alnico pickups (like in the Agile 3100) to get a warmer distortion while pushing the power section of their amp. Other like to use ceramics or active (EMG-type) pickups to pound the front-end of an amp. Also going to depend on whether you are using a tube or solid state amp, how you set the EQ on the amp, what amp circuit is used and what pedals you use in front of the amp.

Long story short - the stock pickups are great, but you need to decide if they are your style and fit with your current gear.

4. azimuth

azimuth Well-Known Member

IMO the only problem with the 3100 pickup setup is the .047uF caps they put in there, especially on the neck pickup which I found quite muddy. Change those out for some .022uF and it really opens up their potential. It's a nice cheap way to get more out of the stock pickups.

5. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I would suggest that as well. That is not the greatest cap value for that guitar, BTW. .015uF works great as well.