Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps' started by CyFan4036, Jul 23, 2019.

?

Should I trade?

1. No

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of trading my beloved Ampeg Reverberocket for a Line 6 Spider V 240HC half stack. I didn't really like the spider V 120 combo I played at GC but now there is the Mark 2 update available and the Andertons video showcases some serious gorgeous tones from them. I'd be trading for the original version but it is upgradeable for free to the Mark 2. I really love the Ampeg tones but I don't really feel like buying a bunch of pedals to expand the tonal spectrum. Plus the Spider has soooo many additional benefits like a Looper, built in wireless and all the effects I could ever want. What do you guys think? Tough decision for me!

2. CyFan4036

Crazy bumpo_O

3. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Well, sounds like you can try the amp (or already have)...so it’s not really a decision for us to make given that I’m betting most of us here haven’t had any experience with either amp.

That said, since you asked I will say that:

1). I certainly wouldn’t base any buying/trading decisions off a demo on Youtube.

2). I’ve found that I would much rather have a few incredible tones than a whole bunch of OK ones, and I can’t say that Line 6 ever impressed me versus a real tube amp. For me modeling isn’t yet at the point where it can truly compete with a tube amp side by side, so until that time I personally wouldn’t make that trade.

However if you try the amp and find you enjoy it more than your Ampeg...then ya have your answer regardless of what any of us may say :)

4. CyFan4036

Yeah, I was hoping someone on here had used the spider V. I think the one I tried at GC might’ve been defective or someone had perhaps changed some settings because I can’t imagine a big company putting it to market like that. I’m a hobbyist guitar player so having a new toy to play with is appealing. I’ll just make a decision after I see how it sounds....I’m sure the owner can show me how to get the best from it.

5. golem

golem Well-Known Member

The Ampeg will hold its value better.

kojdogg, Partscaster and CyFan4036 like this.
  6. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I am assuming the spider is solid state. Anyways, tube swaps can also help adjust tone of tube amps. One tube manufacturer vs another, etc.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  7. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What's the Ampeg,? 60's or a SLM version? I've worked on some line 6 equipment and was actually impressed with the build quality, but not familiar with the quality of the presets sounds.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Not keeping them both.. Now That's crazy!

fullonshred and CyFan4036 like this.
  9. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Are you crazy?
    Most likely.
    You are posting on this forum, aren't you? :)

BrianSkeezer, tonray and CyFan4036 like this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I also have a hard time thinking of replacing a classic type amp with anything from line6. Especially line6. But I got sick of the problems from pedals too. And now I'm seeing it with my other guitarists pedal board. Does line6 make this product in a multi function pedal? I couldn't give up my tube amp so I bought the mustang floor multifunction pedal. It works well for me, I still have my tube amp and a great bonus is at gigs my board can go direct out to the pa. Especially nice if my tube amp ever causes a prob.
    Do they make a separate pedal board? The line6 amp will certainly have a big multi button control board to be useful I think.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  11. CyFan4036

Mine is the 90's version but still a solid and gorgeous sounding amp.

12. CyFan4036

I've had a Pod xt before and liked it alright. I'm in a discretionary spending holding pattern however until I pay off some other stuff I've recently bought. Right now I'm just working hard on being a better player and I'm intrigued by all the options the Line 6 has that may assist in that pursuit. I'm at a point where I can make most things sound good so even if it isn't authentic tube tone I could get another tube amp when the time comes.

nomadh likes this.
  13. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I'd say play one if you can and let your ears give you the answer. To be honest, getting rid of something you really like already is usually a decision that will be regretted.

CyFan4036 and ID10T like this.
  14. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if more options and more features will necessarily help become a better player either. FWIW, when I play through my Mustang modeler, I tend to spend a decent amount of time fiddling with knobs (should I use spring or plate reverb on this setting? what if I throw a phaser in there?). I bet you never have to touch the knobs on the Ampeg unless you want it louder and/or dirtier. Modelers are great for being able to make different kinds of sounds. But I don't think they're any better or worse for technique practice (altho the looper on that one is a plus that I don't have on my Mustang and certainly does make it more functional).

CyFan4036, nomadh and uwmcscott like this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

And with my mustang floor I'm sort of the opposite. I found the one patch I like and use it almost exclusively and only use the knobs on my amp for tone and vol. The 1 feature I use on the floor is I like the patch that controls the gain level with the pedal. Its very nice to not just have gain on or off but to be able to hit 3 or 4 distinctively different gain level on 1 pedal setting. The whole value of my board is right in that feature.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  16. Gagoosh

Gagoosh Well-Known Member

Is the Reverberocket OR or reissue? If reissue, then I'd say not crazy. If OR, I'd say crazy.
    Actually I'm not a fan of Line 6 stuff so I'd say "crazy" no matter what. :)

CyFan4036 likes this.
  17. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would be cautious about basing a buying or trade decision based on an Andertons video. I'd try it out in the store and see if you really like it. If you do like it, make the trade. If you don't get along with it, you can always get another amp later.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  18. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I based my vote on the same opinion that @Gagoosh stated. I appreciate Line 6 products and played my neighbor's Spider, among others as well. I don't dislike them and I don't like them.

Gagoosh and CyFan4036 like this.
  19. CyFan4036

Yeah, I was thinking of the Looper, metronome and drum tracks. Also, I noticed last time I had a G Dec that certain presets inspired me to uncharted territory and helps get me beyond a rut. That's said, I played for about an hour this morning and that Line 6 is going to have to really click with me to get my Ampeg out of my hands.