Another Gc Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zipslack, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Zipslack

Zipslack Well-Known Member

Decided to go to GC while my wife and daughter were shopping. I was going to get some strings...about $20 total...no big sale.
    I walk in, nobody says a thing. I look at a nice Epi Wildkat w/Bigsby. Nice git at a little over $400. Mosey over toward the string area and stop to look at a couple of Gibbys. Nice Jr for $500, except for the horrendous rough fret ends. Put it back on the rack and continue to the string counter. Sales guy is talking to some guy about bands and then wants to look at a used pedal. The entire time I'm standing there with wallet in hand. After the guy walks past me 3 different times with the guy that "may have to do layaway" on the $100 pedal, I pocket my wallet and leave. 15 minutes in the store and nobody even acknowledged my existence. I can understand how a guy can walk out with an LP. I realize I wasn't going to make them rich, but a sale is a sale.

Okay, through ranting.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The customer is always right, and you were right to walk out.

Tsukiyomi, rambleon and manco53 like this.
  3. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes, when stuff like that happens, I wonder if we should ask for the manager and complain. Think about it: if you were the manager of the store and had an employee like that, you would want to know, wouldn't you?

manco53 likes this.

4. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I have grey hair and a pot belly.
    That means $$$ to these guys.

5. Mark W

Mark W Well-Known Member

I do my GC business on line. Closest store to me is 3 hours away. But yeah, you shoulda gotten greeted at least.

6. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You should have pocketed the strings along with the wallet and walked out..i guarantee you would get some attention then

peskypesky likes this.
  7. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Leaving GC with a purchase is sometimes like going through airport security. I definitely wouldn't buy strings there unless I were desperate. Better service and better deals online.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  8. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Kids + minimum wage= shitty service
    GC does not give a f**k. They are just trying to cut cost

manco53 likes this.
  9. stewiesguitar

stewiesguitar Well-Known Member

I seem to usually get good service when I go

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

10. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

my local SA is even worse, stopped in on a lunch break lastweek for headphones
    one other customer in the entire store, 40 mins later i end up walking out,
    it took 15 mins to get a sales person, then he took another 20 mins bumbling at the computer
    just to ring up 2 customers, finally he picked up the headphone box and is about to head to the back of the store for help,thats when i told him to just put the headphones back, see ya
    just sucks because i eventually had to go back a few days later and waste another 20 mins
    because i needed the headphones.

11. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

I hate wasting time waiting for staff. I usually walk too. How hard is it to ask 'Can I help you Sir?' or say 'I'm just over here if you need me'... My time is precious, I'm not going to have some retailer steal it from me.

12. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

:) before you wags jump in...yes I know I prefer to waste it on Internet forums :)

rmfroyd, peskypesky and Mickey like this.
  13. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I'd rather be left alone and bother them if I need something. If they are busy with a customer then I have to wait.

rmfroyd and thepezident like this.
  14. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Both of my local GC's area actually staffed by at least functional morons on the low end and some nice guys on the top. I think my service is helped by being in there at least once a week and also being likely to chat with some of the other customers. I should get a commission there! My Sam Ash experience has been pretty horrendous the two times I've been to one of their Long Island locations. It's like they didn't know I was kind of a big deal?? LOL I jest. There's nothing worse than wanting to buy something and not getting the time of day. (insert flashbacks here to being 12 or 14 and ignored by the fairer sex)

15. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Not completely.

Financial trouble + buyout + loss of commission %s + loss of other benefits + exodus of last good employees + min wage + people willing to take afore mentioned taking jobs = shitty service.

doc-knapp, Gergo and manco53 like this.
  16. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The problem is that the model those stores work on is broken and has been for years. Only a handful of stores are profitable consistently (usually big city hub stores with lots of promotions and floor traffic). The rest eek by, selling packs of strings and Fender Bullet Strats to keep the lights on. It's really time they packed it in but the private equity guys who blew all their wads (of cash that is) on the great idea of cornering the guitar store business....can't admit when it's time to cut their losses and move on.

Beyer160 likes this.
  17. Zipslack

Zipslack Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but it seemed like there were only 2-3 employees in the entire store.

Other than the service, I also found it very disconcerting that the Epis I picked up felt and played as good or better than the low end Gibbys that I checked out. Also, that's the first time I've ever picked up a Gibson that a salesperson didn't immediately show up and shadow me (and I picked up 3 different ones!).

I also am middle-aged with graying hair (but not the full pot-belly...yet), so, yeah...more disposable income if I choose to utilize it.

18. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

I was talking to the manager of my local GC the other day, and it was interesting to hear from him his thoughts on the business. He mentioned the lack of sales tax on internet purchases made from out of state as a killer, the difficulty in getting good help after corporate made some structural and financial changes, and other things along these lines. He's a nice guy, and I actually like working with him, but he's right - if the CS isn't there, then why not buy online? Tough time to be a retailer in a big chain like that.

peskypesky likes this.
  19. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

It's a balancing act being a salesperson, and even more challenging for a retail salesperson. Like a few people have said, most of these folks working there are equivalent to single cell organisms and it is unfortunate that this is the reality the consumer is faced with.

The other side of it is this, you have floor salespeople that are there to sell. So what if there was another salesperson there to assist you? You could then expect to get shown every make and brand of strings, get offered picks and guitar polish, or what about their low interest GC credit card if you may have wanted to buy a Gibson and pay it off in low monthly installments. Or perhaps you may be interested in our monthly really 2.5% off the Squier Bullet Telecaster at the low low price of $69.95.

I dunno....what's worse?

nomadh likes this.
  20. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Soon all purchases will be internet buys .I will be living in converted warehouse with no windows space having fun flying my drone indoors.

peskypesky likes this.