Another Goddamn Evh Question (gear Related)

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by rrobbone, Mar 14, 2019.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I've been looking at building something a little different for Neckbolt, partly for shits and giggles - and partly to shamelessly draw attention to the business. I really like a FR trem on a guitar, and I've been jonesing for a P90 loaded guitar for some time.

Which reminded me of this mystery - often discussed, but never solved to my knowledge:

Here's a still from VH's "Without You" video:

capture4.jpg

Did EVH actually use the P90s to record any of the tracks on VH3?

Say what you will about VH3, but I've always wondered about his tone on certain songs from that album. Did anyone ever figure out if he used the P90 guitar shown in the video on any of the tracks?

I'm no EVH scholar, but I knew he used P90s rather early in his rise to fame. I haven't seen anything from his later career that shows him with anything but humbuckers.

And, fucking hell, I wish I had seen this when it was live!

Anyone wanna watch me build a Dual P90/Floyd Rose guitar this summer?

Bullitt4030 and jam like this.
  2. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Yes.

rrobbone likes this.
  3. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I can't say with any certainty that he used P90s on that song, but the rythym parts kinda sound like it.

The leads sound humbuckery to me.

Either way, robbone, you need to do this.

EDit: I just realised that guitar has a rosewood board.

rrobbone likes this.

4. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, meth Eddie. For some reason I find myself nostalgic about that period.

Lamf77, Sinster and rrobbone like this.
  5. rrobbone

OK, then.

I'm still curious if anyone knows for sure what pickups Ed recorded "WIthout You" --er, with. Along with several other parts of the album. It's reported that he used his Peavey designed HBs, as well as a Sustaniac again in certain places - but certain parts sound awful single coily to me. If you happen to know - or have any good guesses - as to which P90 set he might've used, that would be wonderful.

As for the guitar I'll build: I know I want to keep a P90 guitar in the house, so this'll be a keeper. I've been happy with the necks I've bought from Mighty Mite and Allparts, but I'm thinking I'll want to keep it closer to what I think Ed might well have wanted. How does a Warmoth maple one piece neck with SS jumbos and a compound radius sound? I'll go ahead and grab a Gotoh FR bridge and flat mount it, then tack a D-Tuna on for good measure. I guess this means I'll need to keep a look out for a quarter circa 1971 as well.

So what shape should I use? Wolfy, Frankie, or something else?

Paint options? Should I finally do a Frankie job?

6. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Is the guitar a variation on the Music Man Axis Super Sport P90?

7. Rollin Hand

If you plan to do a Frankie paintjob at some point on a Frankie, I would save that.

If the inspiration is a Wolf, perhaps a Wolfgang Special (non arch top) shape? The Axis shape could work too. Heck, GFS sells something veeery similar to the Peavey Wolfgang trems too. Reportedly the differences are the arm attachment and the lack of a Peavey logo.

Then the big question -- headstock shape.

Sinster likes this.
  8. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

9. rrobbone

I would guess that the EBMM was a variation on the guitar in the video if anything, since Ed had the Peavey sponsorship first.

Interesting, I was already thinking about a blue Frankie (like Wolfie's bass, I've always liked that), or perhaps a fireburst/fade Frankie since I haven't seen one before. It would seem an original take on something copied many, many times before.

That's kinda what it boils down to, but right now I'm leaning towards a modern day EVH/Fender body shape. It has a maple cap over basswood construction. I probably wouldn't use basswood, but doing a maple cap and a carved top would both be new challenges for me. As far as the GFS trem, I appreciate you trying to save me some cash, but I just don't trust GuitarFetish at all. I'll spend up and get at least the Gotoh, if not the genuine FR.

That is a biggie. The way I see it, I have three choices:

*Get another Allparts neck, do the fretwork and call it good (which sort of lends itself to a old school Frankie body shape, since they do Strat shapes)

*Buy an actual Wolfgang Special neck off of a reseller.

*Have Warmoth make a neck to my specs with the paddle style head so I can carve an appropriate headstock shape out. I trust my wood working skills enough to attempt that now.

The Warmoth and Wolfie neck options would cost close to the same amount, but the Wolfie would already have the headstock shaped and drilled.

I know! I linked to that listing above. I wish I had seen it while it was live, I would've snapped it up!

10. Rollin Hand

The Music Man EVH came before the Peavey. He didn't start using Peaveys until partway through the Balance tour.

And the GFS bridge is supposedly a Ping Weil. You won't go wrong either way (the original bridges on the MM EVH models was a Gotoh).

Anofher option on the neck is a Wolfgang Standard neck. Basically the same, but made offshore. For what it is worth, I have played a EVH Wolf standard, and it is a very good neck, and good guitar overall. Were they cheaper new, I would already have one.

Not to be overlooked is that spoke wheel truss rod adjuster. Worth having in my view.

11. rrobbone

My mistake, you're correct. Either way, I love those things - best necks ever.

True, but I hate GFS and I'm not ever giving them any more moneys. So, there's that. :D

You're right, it looks to be +/- $100 difference. When I ran the search I specified "Wolfgang Special" so it excluded the standard model necks. They're basically the exact same thing.

Now I'm thinking of making this two projects. One more subtle P90 EVH build and one wild, full on Frankie build.

Jeez, I'm such a junkie.

12. Rollin Hand

Don't deny it. Give in to it. Let the GAS flow through you.....

13. rrobbone

14. Rollin Hand

DO! There is no try......

rrobbone and jam like this.
  15. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Aha, great project and thread! I've craved a p90 Floyd guitar too, so I look forward to seeing whereas this goes.

Btw for guitar genealogy, it goes ..

Ibanez Destroyer
    Neck copied to make Kramer 5150
    Copied to make Music Man
    Copied to make Wolfgang

Difference is fret sizes and mild neck shape variation, but all basically the same concept neck!

RiverDog likes this.