NGD Another Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BrianSkeezer, Mar 15, 2018.

1. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

Ok, I’m gonna start off by saying, I know that a bunch of people have done reviews on these guitars, but this has been a 20 year lust for me. Here’s the story:

I lived in Pittsburgh for a year from 1997 to 1998 and met a great friend, and former bandmate, there. He was from Dayton, OH, with me being from near Baltimore, MD. We started a band, and during this time, he had purchased a vintage white Squier Standard Tele from Pittsburgh Guitars with the intention of making it into a look-alike Nocaster. He bought the 1-ply black guard, the “Spaghetti” Fender logo water slide, the brass saddle bridge, and the vintage-style tuners. Now, my buddy had very little mechanical skills, so he asked me to change out the stuff he couldn’t. We worked together on it and it turned out very nice. I made him promise me that if he ever wanted to sell the guitar, I would get first crack at it.

Fast forward a few years (2002ish), and he was back in Dayton, and I had just returned to MD from Orlando. We were talking on the phone and making plans to meet in Pittsburgh again for the first time in years. I asked him to bring the Tele along and there was an awkward “uuuhhhh” moment. He proceeded to tell me that he had loaned that guitar to a friend for some shows. Sometime after the guitar had been loaned, that “friend” had tried putting the moves on my buddy’s then fiancé, now ex-wife, and a fight ensued. My buddy forgot about the guitar until I mentioned it, and was not into talking to that guy anymore, so the guitar was gone.

Over the years, I continued looking for a Tele to replace the one that we had worked on together, but things had never materialized, mostly because something else would catch my eye. I actually was looking into an SX Furrian for the cause, since I liked the neck I have on my Partscaster, and that’s how I found this forum and began lurking. I had played a Fender Baja Tele a few times, and loved the neck profile, but I wanted a vintage white or blonde colored Tele instead of butterscotch and wasn’t into spending $800 on a guitar. After reading about how many of you guys liked the Classic Vibe Teles, I looked further into them. I played one in a local store, and liked it, although it didn’t have the same neck profile as the Baja, which is chunkier. I liked the medium jumbo frets too and was glad that they weren’t the smaller “vintage” frets. I was going to buy one, but wanted to hold off for a bit, mostly because for the $400, they wouldn’t throw in a gig bag (I like to try to bargain). I watched a few on that popular auction site that we all know, and found one that had a bag for $410 and free shipping from Kraft Music. After a few months, I saw the 20% off code on here on Friday and decided to see if it would work. $328 with the bag and free shipping! A call to the wife ensued, who said “If you don’t get it now, I’ll order it for you,” and it was ordered. As you all may know, my wife is as much an enabler as you guys, and a great wife to me. I always feel guilty about spending money on something for only me, but she’s so great about it. I must be doing something right, huh?

It arrived while I was at work on Tuesday, 3 days earlier than expected. It was basically triple boxed, 2 full boxes and 1 open faced box, with no damage to the packing. After looking over it entirely, it’s perfect all over, except for one tiny chip under the pick guard at a screw hole, not even noticeable. Neck pocket is perfect with not even .0025” between the neck and sides of the pocket. The body is full thickness at 1-3/4” and the nut width is 1-5/8”. My Squier Affinity Strat bodies are 1-5/8” and the necks are 1-9/16” at the nut. It's a 4-piece body, but that doesn't matter to me.

I tuned it up to pitch and found that it was set up perfectly from Squier, no intonation issues, no truss rod or action adjustment needed, just stretch the strings a bit and play. I did adjust the pickup heights a little, just to my liking, and that’s how I found the small chip. I think at the first string change, I’ll have to remove the neck pup and put springs under it, because the foam was crushed a bit and it won’t raise up all the way to where I want it. It sounds great though. I like the A3s in it and it sounds like a Tele should. I get the tones that sound like me out of it also, with some overdrive, and it’s very punk rock.

The switch and pots work just as they should, and feel very solid. The tuners work very smoothly and seem to keep tune well. It seems that I’ve gotten used to the Grover style tuners with the 18:1 ratio, since I keep going past the tuning, but that’s just the vintage tuner ratio. There’s no fret buzz anywhere, and the fret ends are rounded and feel nice for now. It doesn’t seem to have the rolled fretboard edge, which is ok with me, but I thought that the others that I played had it. Not sure on that though. I like the feel of the neck with the poly on it. It feels a lot like the neck on my Squier II bass. I found that the neck is very much the same profile as my Fender MIM Strat, and the body color, although transparent, is pretty much the same too. The Tele is a little heavier than my Strat, but not as heavy as my Epi LP.

The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was that it doesn’t have any flame to the maple neck. Almost every one that I saw in person or in photos (like on Sweetwater) had flame to the neck. I was hoping that this one would have it also, but no. Still, that’s nothing to complain about.

So far, I’m extremely happy with this one, as I have been for the past year with all of my purchases. This one is #21 though, and I’m feeling like a hoarder here. This honestly is the last of my GAS anyway. I could be tempted to get another semi-hollow, but it’d have to be something that stuck out to me. I’ve already decided that if the right young person comes along and wants to learn to play guitar, the Lyon guitar that I just cleaned and set up will very likely be donated to the cause. Of course, as things would have it, my son now tells me that he “needs” a Telecaster too. Kids say the darndest things! Sorry this is so long and thank you guys for helping to make this happen. As everyone says, this really is a great place. On to the pics!!!!!!

IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2518.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2520.JPG IMG_2521.JPG

JeffBeck, PV 1955, RiverDog and 29 others like this.
  2. BrianSkeezer

A new Tele bump

3. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

That is one of the absolute loveliest finishes for a tele ever. Just beautiful!

With a body like that, I would't sweat not having some flame on the neck.

HNTD!

Mr. Leyvatone and BrianSkeezer like this.

4. BrianSkeezer

I agree whole heartedly!!

5. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

Sweet. Those appear to be compensated brass addles, but the lower two look like they are on backwards to me; could just be a trick of the angle. It is possible with those to take the grub screws out, turn the saddles over, and have them at a reverse angle - but why you would want to do that is beyond me. Well anyway - very nice!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  6. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

Really nice. Love the blond CV Teles and the A3 pickups.

I have had gas for one of those for a while, you are not helping with that.

7. otisblove

otisblove Well-Known Member

This is #21...This honestly is the last of my GAS.
    Who you think you’re talking to?

jtcnj, Aullucci, howardlo65 and 2 others like this.
  8. BrianSkeezer

They're not compensated. I've actually noticed that in all photos of these, and saw it in these as well. I think it may be because of the string height adjustment, the saddles are angled and not parallel to the body.

9. BrianSkeezer

I know, but at the moment, I have no GAS for anything else. Between a Tele and the Semi-hollow 12-string, that was my longest streak for GAS. Now I have both, and I owe gratitude for them both to my wife and this forum.

10. Cyphre

Cyphre Well-Known Member

That is the exact same Tele I’d buy if I didn’t already have a good quality Fender I was gifted with.
    Such a beauty. That finish kills me.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  11. Daneman

Daneman Well-Known Member

Love my 50s CV Tele as well. I got the butterscotch, but would have been just as happy with the white.
    Sweet score !!

Happy New Telecaster Day !!!!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  12. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

Beautiful example you got there! In my opinion, the Squier CV tele is exactly what a tele was intended to be - a fantastic instrument at an affordable price compromising nothing in looks, action, or sound.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  13. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

Love that type o tele...

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  14. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Beautiful Mary Kay limed finish! HNGD!

RiverDog and BrianSkeezer like this.
  15. jjegg

jjegg Well-Known Member

Nice , great score.Enjoy!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  16. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

Funny thing, Daneman. When I ordered my CV Tele from MF two years ago, I ordered the blond. They sent me the butterscotch by mistake; I liked it so much, I kept it. Still haven't gotten a blond, (yet):disrelieved:

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  17. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Another happy CV '50s owner! Congrats!

I was just playing my BSB CV last night... It's the first guitar in a long, long time that I haven't modded a thing on, and I'm completely blissed out every time I play it! I can't see how I could be any happier if it said 'Fender' on the headstock.

I've played a lot of MIM and MIA Teles, and I kept going back to the CV '50s. I debated with myself for about a year before I finally bought one (it was between the Squier or a used Fender '52 RI, and I kept trying to convince myself I liked the RI more). I wish I bought the CV sooner!

The neck is a bit on the slim side, but it plays great and I have no discomfort, so who cares? The fretwork is a model of perfection, right down to the high polish.

I also find the finish on the neck to be slick and frictionless... Though I never really found poly to be that 'sticky' to begin with, this neck feels exceptionally smoove.

I was thinking about getting the vintage blonde one as well (for the finish and the A3 pickups) but since I put a set of '51 NoCasters in my DC Tele (which has the same finish on ash), that kinda scratched that itch. The NoCasters sound awesome, but it doesn't feel as nice as the Squier.

BTW, Those saddles are compensated (tilted, not cut), and as @Tyrannocaster pointed out, the angles look wrong to me too. But it could just be the photo... if the intonation is good, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Believer and BrianSkeezer like this.
  18. BrianSkeezer

Ok guys. I know this is shitty playing, but I wanted to get something recorded for you guys. All the guitar parts were done on the Tele. The lead part is the neck pup, and each of the rhythm parts is on the middle and bridge pups. Once again, keep in mind, I'm no lead player. Enjoy at your own risk!

Tiga, CyFan4036, voodoorat and 5 others like this.
  19. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

sweet!!!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  20. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

I cannot stress enough how great it is that you did this. Recording concentrates the mind wonderfully, to paraphrase Dr. Johnson. The simple act of laying down tracks makes you work harder than almost any kind of practice so even if you think of it only as practice, it's GREAT practice, plus you now have a record of how you play at this moment, what you're working on, what's hard for you, what's easier, etc.

Also, it's wonderful that you didn't overplay, which is most guys' weakness. (I include myself here.) Also, you simply cannot go wrong with a I-VI-IV-V progression! :) And the chords sound fantastic just by themselves - really nice tone.

manco53 and BrianSkeezer like this.