Any Ever Live In Or Familiar With Miami?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Tiga, May 3, 2019.

1. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Just had a recruiter reach out to me about a potential job opportunity. I'll admit to being a little intrigued. My wife and I have talked more than once about relocating south and get closer to the ocean. I've never been in Miami and honestly know very little about it. Any thoughts on this area? FWIW I have two children under the age of 12 if that matters. Thanks!
    Tiga

2. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Beach bump.

3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Habla Español ???

^^^ That is a serious question, if you don't you'll feel like you are in a foreign country.

Also, my brother worked in the area for about 30 years for a Fortune 100 company.
    He was forever amused by the people who transferred down there to escape the northern
    winters. But after a couple of winters there they were ready to escape. The reason being
    that Miami has exactly two seasons: wet & dry. Wet is during the time you would call winter.
    As a result you end up mowing your lawn more often during what you now call winter.
    @tobijohn seems to be going thru that now based on some of his posts. That is a lot of the
    reason my late wife & I retired here because we get three seasons: Spring, Summer & Fall
    with 4 months of each. What I am trying to say is: Be Careful or you may go further south
    than you really want to go!.

Razzle, Tiga, Tsukiyomi and 6 others like this.

4. SKYDAWG

SKYDAWG Well-Known Member

What area in Miami?

tonray likes this.
  5. OpenG

OpenG Member

Miami is no place to raise your kids. Too much sex and drugs.

Tiga likes this.
  6. MrM0964

MrM0964 Well-Known Member

My mother in law lived in Doral, right across the street from the Trump golf course. I love my mother in law, but every visit was miserable (close to two dozen in 15 years), like going to a different country. I live in Texas and summers can get hot, but not like Miami. That sun light after stepping off the plane, Jesus, felt like you were cooking. Traffic is absolutely the worst I've ever been in, and no one knows how to follow traffic laws. I lost count of how many dented bumpers and fenders I spotted in the two hours it took me to travel the 15 miles I needed to go to reach our cruise ship last year.

Basically, too many people live in too small of an area, and you'll definitely feel like an outsider. Definitely not a place I'd want to raise young kids, either.

Mickey, sabasgr68 and Tiga like this.
  7. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

I have lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for 20 years, and have been to Miami more than a few times.

I would book a one week trip, bring the kids, and rent a car. If you make it through the week with your sanity and your marriage, then it might be the right spot for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mickey and sabasgr68 like this.
  8. C Sotolongo

C Sotolongo Active Member

I’ve never lived in Miami, but have been many times and have many family members that have lived there for decades. First of all, it’s not cheap. Housing, insurance, taxes and utilities being the biggest offenders. The weather is good if you can take the heat and humidity, and you’ll probably end up paying for private schools.

sabasgr68 and Mickey like this.
  9. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

And if the iceburg melts it will all be underwater. Is that political?

DonM likes this.
  10. Mickey

Probably.
    Even if it is just speaking the truth. :)

OMB likes this.
  11. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

How about a poll of east coast harbormasters and coastal agencies, with actual water level measurements?

There is a dude in Miami muni who is well versed on the subject, I hear.

12. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly - it's for the University of Miami Health System.

13. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I'm born and raised in the Miami area. Hialeah to be exact which is now one heck of a ghetto and was pretty much my whole life.
    Now, Miami is similar to any big city, LA, NY etc... People work there, but I wouldn't advise living there. UM Health is in South Miami which is West of the city and way west of the beach. Just like anywhere, there are good and bad parts. Good schools and bad schools etc...

As others mentioned, its an expensive place to live. Any decent home in a decent area will cost you around 350k and up. People drive crazy, no use of blinkers, lots of road rage and flat out lack of respect.
    The further north you live, the better it gets. The weather is hot and humid, there are hurricanes and people go absolutely bonkers during the time before and after thanks to the wonderful news stations who fill people with fear more than info.

I moved to AZ to get away from it, but.... I moved back. It's home.

The food is amazing, culture is thriving, beaches are amazing, jobs pay well, its a hub for music, fashion, movies etc... NIght life is off the chain for the youngsters, and there is plenty to do for everyone.

If you can figure out how to commute to work and live north of Miami, then you are set.

I know this probably confused you more than helped - sorry bout that - if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to give you a solid answer.

mbroadus, glasshand, Mickey and 3 others like this.
  14. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Thanks Narsh - great reply. We currently live in a somewhat sleepy suburb of Pittsburgh that is relatively safe with slightly better than average schools. I'm assuming finding a similar area there wouldn't be too difficult or no? I may inquire about the position enough to understand the salary/benefits if it's even worth considering.

15. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

@Tiga is it something you could try work-wise for a couple of years, and return where you were at, without loss?

Family and friends, spouse's links t current location?

Mickey likes this.
  16. Mickey

I would look at living in Fort Lauderdale and commute from there. My brother & his wife lived in Lighthouse Point which is an area I wouldn't mind
    except that a BIG lot is 1/4 acre.

17. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I've visited a couple times, and from what relatively little I've seen I can pretty much confirm what everyone else says. I didn't think traffic was particularly any worse than anywhere else. I'm from the Northeast too, and if you can deal with the heat and humidity (I like it, personally) there's a lot of beauty in the water and the plants and the wildlife. Spanish is really the first language of Miami, although I think it depends a lot on the exact neighborhood you're in and the circles you travel in. There is a lot of excellent food to be had, what with the mix of cultures and all the coastline - I highly recommend a trip to "El Mago de Las Fritas" for some awesome sandwiches.

18. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

My father used to live there... it's like any city kinda crowded, but cool if you take in what there's to offer down there.

But make sure you speak the language (and it's not english).

19. adad

adad Well-Known Member

I was there once during the summer. Could not believe how hot and humid it was.

I have nothing to add but I just watched a documentary on Netflix I enjoyed. Shows the change in Miami from the 70's to 80's.

The Last Resort

20. C Sotolongo

C Sotolongo Active Member