Any Ezdrummer 2 Users In Agf?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by andrewsrea, Mar 20, 2019.

1. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I have been devouring YouTube videos and Toontrack website info on EZDrummer 2. Totally impressed with the concept and product. And, it is on sale this month.

My problem is what to buy?

In my mind, it basically has three features:
    - Drum kits
    - Groves: recorded patterns in specific measures that will be played in the original kit or the kit you chose
    from your library.
    - Editor to create songs and change the patterns.

I understand the basic offering has the Editor, a couple of kits and some grooves - but the genre of those groves are not specified, nor how many. So there are add-on additional products which provide kits and grooves for specific genres.

I will be writing mostly 'rock' genre, occasionally going heavy to pop. I'd like to have some other genre's on hand, especially 'blues' available as well.

For any AGF users of EZDrummer, what can you recommend?

2. andrewsrea

3. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Honestly, if you're anything like me - no pre programmed rhythm will ever be just what you need for that track. It's really worth the time and effort to learn to program your chosen drum VST. In fact, if you can master progging drums and mixing/mastering - ya got the battle practically won.

I like EZ Drummer just fine, but I use Battery 4 simply because my setup slants very heavily towards the Native Instruments direction anyway. It all works very well together through my Maschine. I simply pick a kit, mash buttons, and build my groove. Run a youtube search for "fingerdrumming," and you'll get the idea. I'm no where near as good as most of those guys, though.

More to your question: NI have plenty of expansions and add on packs to buy, but I don't ever buy them. I prefer to build from scratch because I've learned to enjoy the process of programming synths, kits, rhythms, patches, tonez... everything. It's one hell of a learning curve, and I'm not over that hill just yet - but it's fun.

As for EZ - they have a demo, definitely DL it and try it out. Make a drum track as though you're wanting something to play over. You'll find out really quickly if you'll gonna want extra grooves and kits or not.

I'd say the kits would be the better buy, unless you can't stand programming drums and are fine with the presets.

andrewsrea likes this.

4. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i used ezdrummer lite many years ago (it came with Studio One Artist) and liked it. I wanted to reinstall it but its no longer available to download. I can't speak to the more recent offerings.

andrewsrea likes this.
  5. andrewsrea

^ BTW, that is my drum kit. But my skills aren't as good any longer, as what I hear in my head. I will do a couple of live tracks when I get back into recording and the midi drums seem to be th eticket!

6. brattmatter

brattmatter Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Every one of the 4 songs on our second EP (me and @deeaa) is EZ Drummer 2.

They're a combination of
    • midi loops from EZ Kits and Midi Packs
    • Me playing a drum pad
    • me playing a midi keyboard
    • Apple drummer with EZ drummer sounds
    EZD is ridiculously flexible and responsive. A friend of mine who is a drummer and also wrote a book on drumming commented he "loved the drums" on "I Stole the Sun." I didn't have the heart to tell him it was all midi. :(

Here's what I have.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.58.58 PM.png

I think the kits I used were a combo if the Indie Rock and Modern Vintage kits. Don't get the claustrophobic kit. That was a freebie for me IIRC.

http://www.mercypointmusic.com/, scroll down to these 4 videos.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.52.14 PM.png

andrewsrea likes this.
  7. brattmatter

brattmatter Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The EZD Kits come with midi as well.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.17.25 PM.png

Typically I edit them in EZD and then dump the midi into my DAW. From there I tweak a bit more--usually by hand on my e-kit or keys. Really cannot say enough about how good EZD is.

And all with the added benefit of not having to deal with a real drummer. Haha

andrewsrea likes this.
  8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I've been frustrated by drum tracks for the longest time. I got a MIDI keyboard partly because I thought it would be easier to do drums that way (and partly because I missed having a keyboard around), but I don't really know where to go from here... Been trying to find some decent, free VSTs to start out with, because I'm not sure what I should buy.

andrewsrea likes this.
  9. rrobbone

I think it'll have more to do with what DAW you use, because many of them force you to treat MIDI VSTs in different ways. However, most of the more popular (or expensive) drum samplers have demos. I checked earlier, and EZ Drummer does.

andrewsrea and Mossman like this.
  10. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

I am a lazy Drummer. Have not got the set out in a couple of years.:pensive:

andrewsrea likes this.
  11. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of DAWs, but I'm using Ableton Live Lite with the keyboard because that's the one that Novation recommends. The keyboard will automap to other DAWs, but since I haven't really developed a preference, I figured I might as well go with Ableton. There are VSTs in Ableton already, but they all sound naff. I didn't even check out the drum sounds. Is there a DAW you recommend? I have Cubase, and Cakewalk, and a couple others I can't recall the names of (all free 'LE' versions)

@andrewsrea, where is EZ Drummer on sale?

andrewsrea likes this.
  12. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

I've been using EZ for years. Got a bunch of kits with samples.

I usually write the guitar part first then pick the sample that matches it best and maybe tweak it a little so they fit better.

That's WAY easier than having to make everything by scratch.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

andrewsrea likes this.
  13. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I downloaded the demo and thought it sounded good and was easy to work with. However, I can't play drums and I struggled with putting together a whole song arrangement using the included beats and fills.

FYI you might be interested in this ancient old virtual drummer program on sale for $29 on the Don't Crack site:

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?products_id=2551

For $29 you could stick your toe in the virtual drummer world. I have no idea how Strike may compare to EZ Drummer, but I can tell you that Strike has been around for many years and it used to ship with certain versions of Pro Tools. I've never worked with it, though - maybe some other AGFer has?

But wait... Since you apparently can play some drums, why not record your own groove for a few minutes, then edit the audio to extract your best 8 bars, and loop that. Then on new tracks record your intro and fills using the looped track as your click track, and again edit the audio, capturing the best intro and fills so that you can insert them where they belong over the looped track. I can't play drums for shiite but even I can play at least four or eight bars correctly once I get into it, and I learned how to edit the good bars out of a few minutes of playing and loop them. For me, its easier to edit audio than midi. I use Sound Forge to edit audio but I have to edit MIDI in my DAW (Reaper), and I find it really tedious.

andrewsrea likes this.
  14. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I love it,the sounds ,the interface, ease of modding.Does it for me. You have to get familiar with the files they give you. All can be modified note for note. Drum maps for your DAW eases the process.

andrewsrea likes this.
  15. otisblove

otisblove Well-Known Member

I use MT power drum most of the time to put my drum tracks together. It’s free and the kit sounds good too. (Can’t remember if it has one kit or two to choose from) I find it more intuitive than EZ drummer.
    A lot of times I’ll get the track all set and then switch over to EZ drummer. Beat stays the same, but then I have my choice of many, many styles and kits. You can change drums and beaters and everything. Also has shakers, tambourines and cowbell. Comes in handy if I want a different sound or if I want a different choice of beats.
    Time consuming, but a pretty fun way to consume time, all things considered.

minpind, andrewsrea and stevebway like this.
  16. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

What kind of sale price are you finding on EZ Drummer? I want to pull the trigger on it as well, but am wondering when EZ Drummer 3 is coming out. Id hate to have an older version and have to pay to upgrade. EZ Drummer 2 has been out for awhile now, and their flagship Superior Drummer 2 changed over to Superior Drummer 3 not all that long ago.

andrewsrea likes this.
  17. rrobbone

That's such a tough question to answer for someone else! All of the "big name" DAWs are quality these days. It all comes down to price vs. how you want your workflow to be. Some do audio better than others, some have more routing configs, some are best for handling MIDI.

It sucks, but you'll have to spend some time noodling around in each one to find the one that fits.

For best cost vs. function, it's Reaper hands down - but there's a bit of a learning curve there. It's extremely flexible, however.

For pure electronic music/electronic performance - Ableton. I was actually very surprised at how quickly I was up and running in that DAW. Bitwig is also very good in this genre.

Sonar and Cubase are killer apps these days, and do almost everything very well. Can be expensive, as you know.

Studio One is definitely worth a try, it's probably one of the easiest to use, but was lacking in features and support when I was looking at changing DAWs. It's had a couple updates since then, and from what I understand they have improved greatly.

Ultimately, I chose to go with FL Studio. I chose it because I could get it at a very reasonable price at the time, and they had just implemented free updates for lifetime - so the value is there. It's also the native home for a couple of VST synths I really like, and they have a lot of other really good onboard instruments and effects. They've had a couple major updates in the past two years, and seem to really try to incorporate what their buyers ask for. Mainly, it's set up very close to how the old Acid Pro DAWs used to be - so I already knew it's language. It didn't do audio very well at first, but they updated and fixed that issue before I could devise a work around. Once I'm well enough versed in FL, I'll be grabbing another DAW and learning it too - because they can very suitably be compared to different guitars, each one inspiring a slightly different sound.

I also use the DAW that comes with Maschine for quick beats or getting down ideas quickly. It's geared for making beats and music performance mainly, so it's stripped down - but it's good for jotting down inspiration before it gets away.

I also would recommend choosing the one that most easily facilitates your chosen style of music production - which genre(s) do you produce?

FL was designed as a loop based production studio, so it does arranging, editing, looping, and VSTs very well. This all lends itself to electronic music, but all of the audio based upgrades have made it so much better to record guitars and vox into. It's a decent hybrid now, and that's what I need as I love to (try to) produce electronic rock. This is the genre acts like Muse, Pendulum, Celldweller, Hadouken, and NIN can lay claim to, for a few examples. FL fits well, but I've made a suggestion or two to the designers of it. They've been communicative, asked a few questions about my ideas.

You're already well set up, seeing as you have a choice between three great DAWs. Play with them all. I know Ableton automaps Novation keys, but if memory serves, Novation also should have one-touch mapping. It's more efficient to map your keys to the right DAW rather then map your brain to the wrong DAW just because the keys and DAW play nice with each other.

Here's a look at my setup - so chosen for flexibility, sound quality, and value. I want ease of use, the ability to make any noise I can think of, and at a decent price value as possible:

ASUS Laptop, Core i7 7th gen w/partitioned solid state drive and 16GB memory. I haven't bumped my head on the ceiling yet, plenty of power so far.

Lenovo tower, Core i5 - I sometimes record audio (vox, bass, or guitar) to this one and send the file over to FL on my laptop.

M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI keys - nothing special, works just fine.

Native Instruments Maschine MK3 - I love this thing, it enables me to work so much faster. A pressure sensitive 16 pad is a lot easier than programming with a mouse.

No more DI box for me, the Maschine and my Helix each have that ability.

Software:

Native Instruments Komplete 11, it has almost everything. One of the best values on the market. One could do very well with it having no other VSTs at all.

Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2pointwhatever it's at. Simply amazing, what this thing can do. I get lost in it as it is, and they keep making it better. Expensive as all hell, but worth it to me.

...and that's about it these days. Other than a few guitars, a bass, and a shitty mic. I want to do a lot more recording and writing this year, I'm not right in the head when I don't do it on the regular.

andrewsrea likes this.
  18. andrewsrea

I was thinking of starting with the Rock bundle. Is there any Blues groves with the starter pack? Also, does it work with other vendor's Midi 'grooves'?

19. andrewsrea

Thanks to everyone, for some great responses! It really has me learning and thinking. i feel like you guys are draggin me out of the 90's!

I downloaded Presonus Studio One 4 Pro yesterday, so that will be my DAW. Got it on sale for $303 delivered.

It might have been a flash sale last Friday at Sweetwater. The basic 'bundle' was and still is $249, but the extension packs were in the $30's. They are back up to $79 each. The Tootrack website says sale all month of March, all EZD products and Sweetwarer has the same prices as the OEM website.

That is why I want to use Midi drums. My process of song writing was always to sketch it out on guitar, bring it to the band and arrange it. Since i don' thave a band, I don't feel like mic'ing the kit every time I change tempo or add parts with different feels.

That could get me started, but if you read my last response to 8livesleft, that is why. I may do opposite and exchange a live drum tracking for the midi, if I feel I can bring something better live. Also, I have a beautiful 1976 Ludwig Vistalite set (pic above) with vintage Paste and Zildjan cymbals that sounds killer for rock. So I envision going back and forth, somewhat like @brattmatter described in his process.

20. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I use EZ Drummer 1 still. I'll use the premade grooves to get going, and sometimes can even do a whole song with their patterns and fills. But I always have to add cymbal splashes, and make a few fills, beginnings and endings myself with a MIDI controller. I think it sounds great.