Anyone Dealt With Pinched Nerves?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by James, Mar 13, 2019.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm feeling pretty down right now. I have a lot going for me but I'm 39 and at 5'9" I'm about 200 lbs so I'm overweight but not horribly so. I've had a pinched nerve in my left arm for 3-4 days now.

It was a minor annoyance at first but after 3 days with numbness in 2 of my fingers I just want it to go away.

The worst part is that I work a ton and my favorite thing to unwind... playing guitar isnt very enjoyable with arm pain.

(Shamelessly looking for empathy)

nomadh likes this.
  2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Are you sure it's not something else. Numbness can be from pinched nerve or any number of circulatory issues. And not trying to be too much of an A$% but 200 lbs is quite a but overweight for 5'9. I would see a doctor first who will check BP and heart and blood sugar and see if possible other issues involved.

Numbness from a pinched nerve usually is very transient, meaning it goes away quickly after the position is changed. Pain is the usual residual symptom.

Get to a doctor to rule out other causes first and then if disgnosed with pinched nerve then just muscle relaxers, warm moist heat, and movement is warranted and over time will remedy. But also lose that weight...not doing yourself any favors.

nomadh likes this.
  3. James

James Well-Known Member

You are right of course. Unfortunately 35% of men are statistically more obese than me.

I'm hoping its nerve damage as last week I woke up with pain and made it much worse after spending 16 hours installing an above ground pool on Saturday and Sunday.

I need to take it easy and perhaps see a physician. Since I'm a man I just went to web MD and found out I may have Herpes or Lyme disease.

voodoorat and STACKS like this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

If it happened after a long workday then likely just nerve / muscle irritation. I would then recommend warm moist heat (Gel packs heat in microwave) for a few days. That should improve it but sometimes a few weeks being careful not to aggravate it further. Anti inflammatory pain releivers like Ibuprofen helps also...but very careful not to over do these and do NOT drink while using any of these things.

5. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Get to a doctor , please. Web md and sites like that do more of a disservice than serive because it allows for so much misdiagonsis by people who are not trained to do so. And I do have a doc in the family so I get that all the time.

tonray likes this.
  6. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Yes I had a pinched nerve in my neck that sent pain through my right shoulder and all down my right arm. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. I saw a neurosurgeon who said the only real way to fix it by that point was surgery but he could understand why I wanted to avoid that. After three years of daily doses of opiods that made me feel like a zombie and almost ruined my life, I finally couldn't take it anymore and last March I had an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) procedure. They go in from the front and remove the disc, file off any bone spurs on the vertebrae that may be impinging a nerve, insert a fake disc, and install a titanium piece that fuses the two vertebrae above and below the fake disc together. Look it up if you want to see the crazy details. Boy, was that fun to recover from. NOT! For me, in the end it was worth doing. I still have a little pain from time to time but I can live with it.

See a doctor immediately and if physical therapy is an option, DO IT. It was too late for me by the time I went.

voodoorat, tonray and STACKS like this.
  7. RiverDog

Oh and I'm opiod free, which is not easy but I'm so happy to be off that poison. NEVER AGAIN!

uwmcscott and tonray like this.
  8. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I have dealt with pinched/damaged nerves in both shoulders from injuries/accidents and it's not fun. As others have mentioned though, do yourself a favor and don't used Dr. Google as you can literally diagnose yourself with just about anything you want if you search long enough. Pain and numbness can have a long list of causes - some not worth doing much about and some quite critical. If it coincided with a physical task that could certainly be the cause, but. better safe than sorry.

I'd also personally stay away from any serious painkillers like opioids or others if at all possible, even if the doc prescribes them. They certainly have their uses but can so easily be abused that it's not really worth the short term pain relief IMHO. Physical therapy can do wonders over time - and it does hurt a lot at first, but it's a far better option than just taking pills and doing nothing. One of my shoulders is pretty much completely "normal" again - or as much as it can be I guess, and the other one will probably always have some pain because I didn't get it taken care of right the first time. Back then my painkiller was dispensed in 12oz doses and eventually that caused more problems than it solved too.

tonray likes this.
  9. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a nerve in my neck that causes problems every now and then. It became a problem after I was rear ended 15 years ago. I used to see a chiropractor for it (and still do if needed), but I found that mild traction usually did the trick. I used an inversion table for a while, but have since switched to an inflatable neck traction device. I've had pinched nerves in my hand and thumb from an accident at work where my thumb was numb for a couple of weeks. I went to PT and it got better and hasn't bothered me since. In your case, I would go to your doctor and maybe do some PT if recommended.

STACKS likes this.
  10. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

I had a pinched nerve....but divorced her. Am happily married now....so far!

andrewsrea and Mickey like this.
  11. MicahC

MicahC Well-Known Member

I had the exact same procedure @RiverDog about 2 years ago and our stories are almost identical. I had a 2 level ACDF. The recovery from the ACDF was brutal with muscle spasms like I have never felt before. I'm about 75% pain free now and do not take any pain meds. Some days my neck gets stiff and sore, but it s nothin like before the surgery. If I had to do it over again, I would in a heartbeat.

RiverDog likes this.
  12. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thing done on my c5/c6. I should have had the surgery done years earlier, but a combination of fear and crappy doctors had me put it off. Though the operation went well I still have pain and problems and perm damage. But, I have all my function back in my right arm. MANY of these problems come from disc problems, so if I were you I would get to your doctor right away and ask for an xray to make sure, if they see something they will have you do an MRI. Seriously DON'T wait, DON'T put it off.

RiverDog and tonray like this.
  13. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Thankfully, No.

RiverDog likes this.
  14. RiverDog

Getting old is a bitch :weary:

Mickey likes this.
  15. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Having had 5 levels of spine surgery and now afflicted with adhesive arachnoiditis, I would say don't screw around and go see a DR.
    Nerve damage is no joke.
    Get a diagnosis of the problem and then use google to educate yourself as best you can.
    An educated patient can be more proactive in their healthcare decisions. Nobody knows how you feel except yourself.
    Yes, 5'9" and 200 is most likely obese, I was told the same thing at 6'3" and 225.
    Losing weight almost always helps you feel better.
    Best of luck in the future.

tonray likes this.
  16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

About seven years ago I got a pain in the C7 area of my spine. Over the next few weeks that pain moved down my right arm, and my hand quit working.... I could make a fist, but could not extend my fingers. No coordination, and strength dropped to about 15%. I went through every test imaginable, and they finally traced the problem to a burr that had developed, pinching the nerve as it exited my spine. I went through surgery, and have recovered about 80% of the function in that hand. For a long time I could not hold a pick, and fingerpicking was out of the question. I can now fingerpick and can function quite well, but still not at full strength or coordination.

My advice is to see a doctor about it. If there is a problem, the sooner you can get it fixed, the better chance that you won't experience permanent loss of function.

STACKS likes this.
  17. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I think that is overweight enough to cause problems. I had problems with a leg. It would feel like a blunt screwdriver was being shoved under my kneecap. It was a bulging disk pushing on a nerve (is that the same as a pinched nerve?) I was lucky because sitting was the worst position and walking relieved it but for awhile it was so bad I had to fall asleep pedaling and even after a 15 hr hike I couldn't sit to eat. For me it was posture, exercise and lose weight.

James and STACKS like this.
  18. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Had muscle spasms in my right shoulder, which was caused by scars on a tendon that is supposed to glide through the muscles. Instead, it grabbed them and inflamed them. This would progressively get worse until I had a knot the size of a walnut above shoulder blade. This was courtesy of a tractor-trailer which did not stop for a light and rear-ended me. This is something that people often misdiagnose themselves as 'pinched nerve.' Went away with therapy and years of steady exercise.

I have phantom nerve pain about 1' below my crotch on my inner right leg, which can go from annoying to crippling (think of a random ice pick in the inner thigh). Courtesy of something that happened last year during a mesh-hernia surgery. There are a lot of nerves that run from your spine there and am seeing a Doc, managing the pain through stretching and walking it off. I am not a big pill taker, nor do I want to go under the knife again so am trying the passive techniques. Lots of denial as well.

19. jgauker

jgauker Member

I have Stenosis in the Cervical area C4 to C8 and in the Lumbar L5 to L8. Causes sciatica pain in both legs and numbness in my feet. Just had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist, 2 years ago on my right. Lots of arthritis in my left knee. Almost 60 years old and all this hurts a lot. Like someone else said, growing old ain't for pussies! After I get the nodule removed from my thyroid I am probably getting surgery on my back so I can walk normal without pain. I just have to take a couple more tests to finish jumping through hoops for the insurance to approve the back surgery. Sucks to be me right now.

20. TWANG

TWANG Well-Known Member

I woke up one morning with a slight pinch in my neck.
    Over the next few days it travelled down my right arm.
    muscle disappeared. even on my hand.
    I'm right handed but now my left arm is way bigger.
    I can't fingerpick for shit, and that was my MAIN thing playing.

Then, sometime later, I got rhue. arthritis.
    so everything went to shit on top of that.
    (bi monthly infusions let me move and walk)

then, I got a heart attack.
    well damn!

Anyway. I finally worked on my flatpicking and I'm hangin' in.
    I can kinda use fingerpicking but not very Kottke that's for sure.

very very disappointing. and not a thing can be done for any of it.

Here's a picture to take you away from any sadness...

RiverDog, tonray and nomadh like this.